Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] SevZelDorLag [1 Attachment]

  • John Halucha
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you very much for sharing this dissertation about construction of the Kotlas-Pechora railway in Komi, Stan.
    My father was enslaved in that region and helped to build that railway.
    For those who have not yet read the document but are interested in this location, I am attaching a raw Google translation to save you some time. I don't speak Russian, less say read Russian, so cannot speak to the accuracy of the translation. However, it seems to read quite well and no doubt we can extract at least the broad meaning. Someone with a working knowledge of Russian may find it useful as a preliminary stage and undertake to do a better translation.
    This is a scholarly work short on conditions in the camps and long on underlying political decisions. The main lesson I took from it is that slave labour for development of Komi, particularly the railway through the region, was the motivation for incarcerating people like my father - the "corrective" element of imprisonment was a cynical front. The author does not shy away from emphasizing the cruelty and violence inherent in the repressions.
    Again, thank you Stan for this interesting window into the minds of the perpetrators.

    John Halucha
    Sault Ste Marie, Canada

    PS Mark T. - A pox on the all their houses, or arenas. After shovelling the latest dump of snow here, I found this document a better way to spend my afternoon.

    Message 31 of 31 , Jan 20, 2013
      Hi John,

      Thank you so much for posting the translation. I have just finished reading it and printing it off. As you know, my father was there too.

      Best wishes,

      Basia (UK)