RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Genealogy in Wojewodstwo Wilenskie

  • Lenarda Szymczak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2013

      Rys, such a long and tedious effort.  Thank you.

      And are you surprised that when you achieve good, even for selfish reasons, it ends up assisting so many others now and in the future.

      Lenarda, Australia

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2013
        Lenarda,

        Absolutely! Had I had access to this list, I would not have wasted 2 years looking in the wrong place and going on a wild goose chase.

        It is also amazing as to the demographics of villages...In my "Sys" family, they clearly lived in a Lithuanian dominated village with names ending in "NIS"; go north and the names become "NIEK and OW" - clearly (Bela)russians; whole jewish villages.

        But most amazing is how people married almost completely within a village, so, like in my own family, the Urbanowicz's and Kuzmitowicz's married the Sys's many times; its almost in-breeding. It just goes to show how little mobility there was back then.

        I know several people it has already assisted and some have even helped with my own searches - just goes to show it works both ways

        Rys

        Uk
        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" wrote:

        > Rys, such a long and tedious effort. Thank you.
        >
        > And are you surprised that when you achieve good, even for selfish reasons,
        > it ends up assisting so many others now and in the future.
        >
        > Lenarda, Australia

      • Ryszard Linkiewicz
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2013
          Dear Ryszard,
          My God! What an effort ! Thank you. I found ten with the name 'Linkiewicz'! What does 'prozorockiej' mean?
          Regards,

          R. Linkiewicz

          To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
            "Prozorockiej" is the gmina (or parish) in which they resided. So behind each name you'll have the village name, gmina and powiat plus the YEAR in which they were listed. If you use this year as a reference, you can then go to http://jbc.bj.uj.edu.pl/dlibra/publication?id=90538&tab=3 and look through the publications for that year to find your name actually printed in the dziennik.

            With hindsight, perhaps listing the actual journal number plus page number may have been an idea, but it was bad enough trying to get Polish letters in (not all have), so listing more information would have taken much more time. I do have these stored, so maybe thats something for the future.

            Rys
            UK

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Ryszard Linkiewicz wrote:

            > Dear Ryszard,My God! What an effort ! Thank you. I found ten with the name 'Linkiewicz'! What does 'prozorockiej' mean?Regards,
            >
            > R. Linkiewicz
            > To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
            > From: ryszardsys@...
            > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 09:29:33 +0000
            > Subject: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Genealogy in Wojewodstwo Wilenskie

            > Just to let you all know that I have finally completed the transcription of the names of landowners in the Wojewodstwo Wilenskie from the Dzienniks of 1926 through to 1939.
            >

            > Not all villages and towns are on there (for some reason the records stop part way through 1939!), however, there are some 17,000 land records which contain roughly 70,000 names!
            >

            > If you have any relatives from that region (the old Wilno wojewodstwo), it is worth taking a look.
            >

            > During the period 1926 to 1939, the government was "legalising" the land on which people lived and published their names in the "county gazette".
            >

            > As well as the name of the owner, often, the names of the complete family were listed. If you see the word "Spadk." it stands for Spadkobierccy or "Heirs of" e.g."Spadk.Wincentego z(ona)Helena dz(ieci).....". As an example of the information in there, I have managed to prove where my great grandparents came from and who their relatives were.
            >

            > I started it for purely selfish reasons, however, it made sense to transcribe the whole list into a searchable format and at least others can also look.
            >

            > You can view the lists on:
            >
            > http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=23&sub=984 (M to Z)
            >
            > http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=23&sub=572 (A to L)
            >

            > Its also available on many other sites now and if anyone needs a copy of the original Microsoft Excel file, let me know.
            >

            > Rys
            >
            > UK

          • Mary-Anne Morgan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
              Thank you Rys!   Sorry for the extra questions!

              My family name is Baziuk from Radziule, Wil- Troky area.  Could these names be variants?

              Basiukiewicz Józef - - 1937 Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wil-Trockim 7
              Baziewicz Andrzej - - 1928 Galczuny Wil-Trocki 114228

              Basiukiewicz Józef s Jana - - 1938 Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wilno-Trockim 7

              Thank you

              Mary-Anne

              (NZ)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
                Names tended to reflect origin..

                So Baziuk could be the base name, Baziukiewicz would be a Belarussian variant and Bziukiewski who be thee Polish. Back in the Szlachty (nobility) days, people would "Ski" or "icz" their names to give them an air of nobility. Baziuk, sounds either Belarussian or Lithuanian in origin (Lithuanian names tend to end in "inis" though).

                My mothers name Koziol is an old noble name, but part of the clan who went to Wilno became known as Koziello (reflecting the language), the Russian ones became Koziel (the "io" is sounded "ie" in Russian more) - Infact, although my dziadek spelled him name Koziol, he pronounced it "Kaziel" because he spoke Belarussian mainly. A cousin of mine changed their family name from Koziol to Kozlowski for some reason.

                I struggled to find reference to my great grandmother who had her name written as "Salawiej"...Its only when I realised she had Belarussian roots that I realised the "a" was just a Russian sounding of the "o" vowel and it turns out her name was actually "Solowiej"

                I think you'll find that the "Baziuk" variances all relate back to the same root probably back in the early 1800's.

                Incidentally, my own name Sys in old Russian is written "Cblcb" which when transposed to Polish made the final "b" (or twardy znak) make the final "s" more pronounced. So, my granddads record from the Bolszewik war is written as "Syss" and some of the family now in Lithuania have further changed it to "Sysa" to sound more Lithuanian.

                Rys/Richard/Ryszard...Sys/Syss/Cblcb/Cblc (I know who I am!)
                UK
                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Mary-Anne Morgan" wrote:

                > Thank you Rys! Sorry for the extra questions!
                >
                > My family name is Baziuk from Radziule, Wil- Troky area. Could these names be variants?
                >
                > Basiukiewicz Józef - - 1937 Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wil-Trockim 7
                > Baziewicz Andrzej - - 1928 Galczuny Wil-Trocki 114228
                > Basiukiewicz Józef s Jana - - 1938 Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wilno-Trockim 7
                >

                > Thank you
                >
                > Mary-Anne
                >
                > (NZ)

              • Mary-Anne Morgan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Interesting, thank you for your help once again Rhys.

                  Kind regards
                  Mary-Anne
                  (NZ)

                  Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 12:45 AM

                  --- In mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com, "Mary-Anne Morgan" wrote:

                  > Thank you Rys! Sorry for the extra
                  questions!

                  > My family name is Baziuk from Radziule, Wil- Troky
                  area. Could these names be variants?

                  > Basiukiewicz Józef - -
                  1937 Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wil-Trockim 7
                  > Baziewicz Andrzej - - 1928
                  Galczuny Wil-Trocki 114228
                  > Basiukiewicz Józef s Jana - - 1938
                  Zaleszczyzna,trockiej Wilno-Trockim 7