RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Introducing new member Rebecca Karalus from Marrickville, New South Wales, Australia

  • Cub Driver
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      Fairly common, I think. I got an Irish passport easily some years ago (I was already deemed a citizen though foreign born) but my daughter met endless delays. Two things had changed. The US had legalized dual citizenship so there was a rush of applications. And people began to realize that thus was a golden way to acquire an EU passport to work anywhere in the EU and to avoid sometimes onerous visa requirements Americans have to meet. -- Dan Ford

      Janina Hayden <janinahayden@...> wrote:

      Hello and welcome Rebecca.

      I would be interested to hear how time consuming it was to gain Polish citizenship.
      My brother did it some years ago but took him years.

      Regards,
      Janina

      To: kresy-siberia@yahoogroups.com
      From: livinginexile@...
      Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 05:25:11 +0000
      Subject: RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Introducing new member Rebecca Karalus from Marrickville, New South Wales, Australia

      Welcome Rebecca.

      Good to see a few more Sydneysiders....

      // Andrew.
      Sydney Australia.

      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      From: helen.bitner@...
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:07:09 +0000

      Please welcome Rebecca to the group. Her father was born  in 1946 in Greven, Germany, in a displaced persons camp.  His family were from Pinsk, Poland but were forced out at the beginning of the war. They moved to Australia in 1950 thanks to the Red Cross and International Refugee Organization.

      Rebecca has been doing some research on her family in order to obtain a Polish citizenship which she now has.

      Her grandmother was born Aniela Gulewicz in Pinsk in 1908 the only girl in a family of seven children, and whilst she fled west from Pinsk, her brothers, who held official positions in Pinsk, were captured and taken to Siberia, and she never heard from them again.Rebecca would now very much like to verify these details as her grandmother died when she was very young. In searching for information about Aniela's brothers, Rebecca came across a Robert Gulewicz  who was born in Pinsk in 1906 and died in Italy in 1945 and thought this could be one of her brothers.
      Rebecca says she joined our group to learn more about Robert's fate and others like him.
      Welcome again Rebecca.
      Kind regards
      Helen Bitner
      Colchester UK