Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: History & Statistics

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2003
      Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: History & Statistics Hi Eve
      Numbers, once written down, take on a life of their own but that does not necessarily make them correct.  This is a complex issue, as evidenced by the length of my previous post.  Simply, my point was that we should not make statements as fact that can not be credibly supported.  On all of the research, it is not likely that 1.7 million Polish residents were all "deported" from their homes, though perhaps during the war there were that many captive in the USSR from all sources (including 1930's internal repressions).

      Perhaps it is better to say something like "while the exact numbers may never be known, many hundreds of thousands were deported and, by June 1941, well over 1 million [by some accounts, up to up to 2 million] Polish citizens were held captive in Soviet forced labour camps and prisons."

      Stefan

      From: Eve5J@...
      Hi Michael and Stefan -
      You don't feel I should write "approximately 1.7 million people"?
      My book states "upwards of 1 million people."  This is A Concise History of Poland published by Cambridge University Press in 2001 which isn't the greatest.  Perhaps I should write between
      one and two million as Stefan did in his post?  Isn't 1.7 million the number stated in A Forgotten Odyssey?  I understand what Stefan was saying, but between one and two million is a big
      difference and seems vague to me.  Perhaps from now on I should write "well over 1.5 million people" or "between 1.5 to 2 million people?"  I don't know.  According to the just published
      Gulag by Applebaum that I have been writing about recently, the number is probably closer or even over two million people.  I haven't read the book yet.
      Eve