Kogel-Mogel

  • Anne Kaczanowski
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
    • 127 KB

    For all members who wish to create their own story of Kogel-Mogel but refuse to eat raw eggs.

    4 egg yolks
    4 Tbsp. Icing sugar
    2 drops Vanilla extract
    1 box sliced strawberries

    Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.  Place 4 ramekins on cookie tray. In a bowl whisk the egg yolks. And if you are truly Polish as you say, then use a fork not a beater…and whip the yolks until they are creamy. Add the icing sugar if you are Jewish, and the Vanilla if you are Rich, until nice and creamy. Add 1 Tbsp. to each ramekin and fill with strawberries, then add rest of Kogel-Mogel into each ramekin. Bake 5-8 minutes in oven until just set.

    Enjoy being Polish or Yiddish or pretend to be anything you want to be… eating Kogel- Mogel for the first time.

    Subject: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] A paperless Christmas card/recipe

    I have also included this in document form so that it can printed as a word document.

    Janusz

    Kogel-mogel – a dangerous recipe for these times
    History A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to my brother Ted and Kogel-Mogel popped up in the conversation.  Two people never remember the same nostalgic thing exactly right.  I said I like the cocoa version of it and he said, “There never was any cocoa in it.”  Rewind the memory tape about 50 years.
    Friday was bath night and during the winter months the coal fire blazed in the dining room and water was boiled to fill a tin bath tub in front of it.  My three brothers and I took our weekly baths.  This is before we got central heating and moved to the USA.
    After putting on our pajamas, we got hot cocoa and thick slices of bread coated with very salty Danish butter.  Sometimes, my mother made Kogel-Mogel.  By hand.
    recipe  She took, let’s say, four eggs and separated the yolks from the whites.  A couple of soup spoons of white sugar were added to the yolks and this was mixed with a spoon until smooth and not at all granular.
    Then, the whites were whisked with a fork until peaks formed.  The yolk mixture was gently folded into the egg whites – occasionally cocoa powder was added -- and served immediately.  It seemed to have a half-life of about two minutes.
    If you have ever tried to use a fork to whisk egg whites, you would understand why my mother had forearms like Popeye’s.  You can use an electric mixer.
     bummer It’s also not safe to eat raw eggs these days.  The industrialization of farming has provided cheap food at a terrible cost to us and the environment.  Beakless chickens are crammed in boxes to produce cheap eggs that can carry salmonella; milk is laced with hormones; cattle carry E.coli from feed lots and the antibiotics they’re given (instead of being kept in sanitary conditions) have rendered ineffective the antibiotics we take; and water is not safe to drink because of everything from PCBs to over-used pesticides.  Let’s try and do something about that in 2013.

    So, get your own chickens or buy pasteurized eggs.  Kroger sells safe eggs; I assume they’re not hard-boiled, because that would not work at all.
                                                                 Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
                                                                        Janusz Maciuba   December 2012   Atlanta Georgia
    Janusz has a file to share with you on SkyDrive. To view it, click the link below.
    Kogel m.docx

  • Dan Ford
    Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
      Thank you for this. Since I am Irish, I will add a bit of whiskey ...

      love to all for Christmas! - Dan Ford US

      Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
        That's a wonderful idea...

        hania

> [...]

        > industrialization of farming has provided cheap food at a terrible
        > cost to us and the environment.Beakless chickens are crammed in boxes
        > to produce cheap eggs that can carry salmonella; milk is laced with
        > hormones; cattle carry E.coli from feed lots and the antibiotics
        > they’re given (instead of being kept in sanitary conditions) have
        > rendered ineffective the antibiotics we take; and water is not safe to
        > drink because of everything from PCBs to over-used pesticides.Let’s
        > try and do something about that in 2013.
        > So, get your own chickens or buy pasteurized eggs.Kroger sells safe
        > eggs; I assume they’re not hard-boiled, because that would not work at
        > all.
        > Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
        > Janusz MaciubaDecember 2012Atlanta Georgia
        > Janusz has a file to share with you on SkyDrive. To view it, click the

      • Janusz Maciuba
        Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
          The sad thing is that I have been contradicted by my own mother.  No one remembers the whites but me.

          My mother doesn't have a tattoo but, when I was watching her cook and bake in the 1950s and early 60s, everything was done by hand.  I can't remember when the first hand-held electric mixer came into the house.  Whisking eggs with a fork or mixing the dough for 100+ paczki with a wooden spoon took strength, perhaps working in a wood shop in Bavaria during the war, making prefab barracks, built up her stamina.

          Somebody with safe eggs should try the whole egg recipe; it's ephemeral not sticky.  You have to eat it before the bubbles turn to liquid.  Only cocoa power can float within it.

          Janusz Maciuba  Atlanta USA

          To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
          CC: bwbm5@...
          From: s.sobot@...
          Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:03:00 +0100

          Dear Basia and Janusz,

          Wow what memories you have brought back for me, thank you, djienkuje x a thousand!
          Our babcia used to make us the "Basia" variety, i.e. without the egg white.
          It was super-sweet & creamy and delicious & smaczny.

          Janusz, indeed it took a lot of whisking which is partly why we only got it as a special treat.
          I love your comment about your mother's "Popeye" forearms. I assume however that she
          didn't have a tattoo of an anchor on them though :)

          On the subject of Polish treats, we also used to enjoy the curly pastries sprinkled with icing
          sugar called chruski or something similar. Yum!

          Wesolych Swiat everyone,
          Steve

          On 13-12-2012 17:17, Barbara Milligan wrote:
          Dear Janusz,

          My kogiel mogiel was just egg yolk and sugar whisked to a pale yellow delicious slightly frothy mix. No egg whites and no other additives whatsoever. It was such a yummy treat.

          Just for fun: in the UK your pajamas are our pyjamas. Vive la differance!

          Basia (UK)

[...]

        • Basia
          Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
            I was waiting for someone to add something strong!
            I like a bit of cognac myself!
            And we get organic eggs here.

            Basia Zielinska Sydney

            From: Anne Kaczanowski <kazameena@...>