Misunderstanding

  • Barry Turner (Journalism)
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2012
      Dear Lenarda

      I do actually have a clear understanding of Polish culture and spirit. I have been heavily involved in the Polish community in GB, especially the SPK and have taught Polish students who grew up since the end of communism. Over the years, even before my interest in Kresy-Siberia I have helped to locate Polish ex-servicemen and did research for their families. My involvement with Kresy-Siberia actually came out of some research I was doing for one of your members, who is in fact a Russian citizen. I think you have misunderstood my position on a number of issues. I am a historical researcher with a special interest in the 2nd World War and its aftermath and I have spent many years investigating the tragedies that war and tyranny bring to ordinary people. I fully understand what communist tyranny was all about having spent time in Soviet bloc countries and the armed camp that was central Europe for 40 years after the war ended.

      I fully agree that the oppression should never be forgotten, to forget history invites the possibility of reliving it. I have no animosity to any nationality and recognise that the Russian people themselves bore the brunt of Soviet oppression more than most and for much longer. Tyranny is never the product of a 'people', but of evil people within them. My eyes are fully open and pointed most certainly in the right direction, during the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe after WW2 I worked for an educational trust delivering lectures on the evil and real danger of Soviet communism. I was one of the millions that loudly cheered when it collapsed.

      I continue to work on behalf of Polish Ex-servicemen, sadly these days trying to protect their interests against fellow Poles who are undermining the SPK for their own personal and financial interests. Believe me my eyes are very much open. I hope that is sufficient to settle this misunderstanding. It was not my intention for this to become an argument.

      Barry

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2012
        Dear Barry,

        Eyes open, hands shaken, lets progress and focus on more important issues.
        Lenarda,
        Australia

        I have just been explaining to my new colleagues how important it was in
        training school to pronounce our Russian correctly. My tutor told me that if
        we incorrectly pronounced words or placed the stresses incorrectly that we
        would be mistaken for Poles or Czechs and not listened to.

        Does anyone have any experiences that support this view?

        Wah Geordies Man!

        Barry

        _,_._,___

        The University of Lincoln - a top performer in student satisfaction,
        enjoying an unrivalled ascent through the University league tables, set in a
        dynamic, research rich and vibrant campus in the heart of a great historic
        student-friendly city.The information in this e-mail and any attachments may
        be confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the
        sender immediately and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the
        contents to another person or take copies. Email is not secure and may
        contain viruses. The University of Lincoln makes every effort to ensure
        email is sent without viruses, but cannot guarantee this and recommends
        recipients take appropriate precautions. The University may monitor email
        traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law.
        Further information can be found at: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal. The