Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Pilsudski tomb in Wilno vandalized

  • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
      Dear Basia!

      Russian - is a nation.
      Soviet Communists who tried by genocide - have no nationality. Contagion of communism brought into Russian Empire from London, where  Marx worked, who sheltered English. Then infection picked up  International. Which, by the way, tried to wash away all grounds of nationality - remaining (in their plans) people should not have nationality.
      In Russia there was a "successful" implementation of communism, from which then started (and maybe even flinch in future) the whole world.
      Several blood tests, in addition, held in Germany in 1918-20., in Spain (1936-38), but scale was not the same. Much blood was shed in South America in the late 19th century - we just do not know much.
      Following your logic, I want to ask - that you Basia, who by nationality - Polish or English?
      If you are an English, then you may be indirectly involved in genocide, including Polish people, because from England communism began to travel around Europe.
      And if you're Polish, you should be ashamed of Gomulka times in the 50's, when remaining Jews almost squeezed (and squeezed almost all) to Israel. Now, as far as I know, this topic does not love to climb in Poland, but the Jews did not forget anything.

      Soviet NKVD paring Lithuania equally as Lithuanians and Poles, for it - no nationality, they did not care. That percentage of Poles in Vilnius region after 1946 greatly diminished and continues to decline - "merit" of Lithuania and do not interfere here intrigues USSR. After the war, many Poles have decided to go to Poland, until 1956, they were given away free. Some then wanted to go back, but could not.

      Basia, national question in Poland (Russia, Spain, Bulgaria, Great Britain - the big list) - very sharp actually. So Basia, be careful on national question, and do not mix politics with it.

      By the way, my friend and a member of our group, Jan Zakharewicz from South Africa (osada Marysin, Niechniewicze) wrote me that when he visited his home in Lithuania, he was met with hostility when they learned that he was a Pole, and that he had once lived here. He was shocked.

      You spoke well of Lithuanians (and my fellow Lithuanians - also very nice people), because you "not crossed their path." If you would (when visiting Lithuanian) positioned yourself as polka of those, who lived there, you would probably see a different attitude.

      Stan from M.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
        Dear Stan,

        If what sort of passport we carry denotes our nationality, then I am British. However, if it's what ones genes are, then blood and bone I am Polish. I refer to Russians because my family spoke of "Ruscy" ie Russians when they spoke of the Russian invasion of Wilno and of their time in Siberia. They also distinguished all the many Russians who were kind, helpful and sympathetic by referring to them as Rosjanki and Rosjanin. Their torturers and interrogators were NKWD (NKVD). I do not have any bad feelings towards the people of Russia whatever their original genetic make-up. Indeed I must have some family living in Russia as my grandfather was the the grandson of a Sybirak and spoke Russian better than Polish, he was a gold medalist lawyer from Moscow University who was hauled off to join the Tsar's army in 1914 to fight in the first World War. His brother was shot (in Russia) in one of Stalin's "purges " in 1937. He was a doctor. As my grandfather was born and bred in Russia does that make me part Russian? I think not.

        We did visit our old family homes in Lithuania but were greeted with kindness as we made it very plain from the outset that we were definitely NOT seeking to reclaim any property as we respected the sufferings that the Lithuanians had endured. And believe me, they were great. The Russians we met there called themselves Russians not Lithuanians or Soviets, yet they were the offspring of Russian soldiers. The Lithuanians had to fight for their freedom from Russian fiefdom just over 20 years ago. In the 1900s Lithuania, like Poland was twice under Russian rule. Just a historical fact. I don't think it worth getting agitated over. It happened, it's past, and every single person whether historian or individual has their own individual truth and experience on which they base their perceptions. Nobody has the right to try and remove that from them. The fact that X had different experiences and perceptions from Y despite sharing a similar overall experience does not mean that one of them is more right than the other.

        It is indeed a very muddled world and that part of the European continent has always been especially troubled and mixed. All that is needed is respect and tolerance for friendship to flourish. Tit for tat and intolerance lead to enmity and wars.

        Many thanks for translating the incredible folklore (Russian) which my grandfather received from he knew not where nor from whom whilst he was fighting the Germans in the Egyptian desert. A third generation surprise conundrum! It was most kind of you.

        Best wishes,

        Basia (UK)

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups
        .

      • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
          Dear Basia!

          Frankly, I had forgotten that I something translated.
          I'm glad if it helped you to see life and fate of the other side.
          I am tried to help some, but if something disturbs me, I will not argue.

          I wish you only good and happiness.
          My opinion it is necessary to take into account with correct Mark said, some of my heightened perception of certain historical events. But it is off topic of this forum.

          Stan from M.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
            When Gomulka had to comment on Poland's new borders (and the ethnic
            cleansing that accompanied them) he justified them by explaining:
            "Western expansion and agricultural reform will bind the nation to the
            state." This is a very difficult notion for an American to grasp, but I
            suspect it would instantly be understandable by anyone in central Europe
            in the 1930s and 1940s. The state is the geographical construct with a
            certain form of government. The nation is the tradition to which one's
            personal identity is bound up. All those sometimes warring nations
            within the Polish state --Germans in the west, Ukrainians and
            Belarussians in the east, Jews in the urban areas, and Poles
            everywhere--were a large part of the problem in the 1930s and 1940s.
            Poland is now more like the United States, in which the nation and the
            state are one, but in the process a million or so Poles were scattered
            around the world, still belonging to the Polish nation while under the
            protection of some other state.

            Incidentally, when my friend Basia visited Lwow in September, she
            expressed the experience by saying: "In England, I feel Polish. In
            Poland, I feel English. But in Lwow I felt just right."

            - Dan Ford US

            On 11/26/2012 2:15 PM, Barbara Milligan wrote:
            > If what sort of passport we carry denotes our nationality, then I am
            > British. However, if it's what ones genes are, then blood and bone I
            > am Polish.
          • LenardaSzymczak
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012

              Basia UK, well spoken in your post, more information for the soul and heart, also it is good to see I am not alone as your Grandfather and my Grandfather were conscripted to fight in Tzars Army.  My Grandfather was very much Polish and had 7 years school, spoke 5 languages, was in Tzars Calvary, captured by Germans, escaped by swimming the River Volga, then travelled through Finland, Denmark on foot, going back home to Poland, where he met my Grandmother in Plock, married her 1918 and then travelled to Niwna, 60k from Zhitomir and 30k from Slucz River.  He was very much Polish and not Russian and my mother and I are very much Polish in our blood and bones, but the borders kept changing and the rest of history we already know. but vandals do not need nationality or language, they are very bad people who do criminal acts and have no respect for any nationality or country or law by those in authority.

              Warmest regards,

              Lenarda, Australia

              Sadly Russia did a lot of ethnic cleansing - first to Siberia, then to the Gdansk/Olsztyn area which had, before WW2  been lived in by Germanic people.The remaining Poles had a very tough time and seemingly still do. The Russian population in Lithuania is now very large and influential - or so we found when we visited. The Lithuanians we met were lovely.

              Basia (UK)

              Reply to sender

              Reply to group

              Start a New Topic

              Messages in this topic (2)

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
                Dan
                I absolutely agree with you.
                In Poland is a unique situation where titular nation and citizens - are one and the same. So I believe in future of Polish.

                In Russia, it is difficult, in Belarus (I was there recently) a little easier, in Ukraine - is very difficult.

                I used, that all who lives in Spain, considered by Spaniards. It turns out - no, no one wants to sacrifice even 10% of their income to brothers and sisters to live them better. We are - all brothers and sisters, and as part of a national tradition - especially.

                Stan from M.

                ------------------------------------

                * PLEASE PAY YOUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE & MAKE A DONATION: http://tinyurl.com/ks-contribute

                * Visit our merchandise & Bookstore: http://tinyurl.com/KS-Store
                  Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                * To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    Kresy-Siberia-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    Kresy-Siberia-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Basia
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Stan, Dan, Basia
                  I will add my "Australian cent's worth"
                  I was born in Germany – why? Because my parents were there at the end of the war.
                  Do I feel even remotely German? No, I do not.
                  Do I feel any connection with Germany?
                  Only that it is where I was born, and certainly when I visited Leer, my place of birth, a few years ago, and enjoyed dinner at the town hall restaurant where my parents had their wedding reception,
                  and walked the streets of the city they spent two post war years in, before coming to England,
                  I felt "warm and fuzzy with sentimentality" and absolutely thrilled to be able to actually visit the place, in part tracing both my parents journey and my own birth place roots.
                  I lived in a displaced persons camp in England for effectively the first 12 years of my life (I was 5 months old when we arrived in England)
                  Everything was Polish, The church, school, shop, social club, all the people (actually I remember references to "The Ukrainian, the Lithuanian" which even as a child I recognised as a difference somehow, to the Poles).
                  The English were treated with mistrust, I was told numerous times to never believe them.
                  Today I understand the reasoning behind  this, felt by the generation who had battled the war,  however I personally have very many, very dear English friends, post war generation.
                  I was the first kid in the Polish school in the camp to go to the local English primary village school.
                  As I spoke not a word of English, I was different, was that difference negative? Not at all. Everyone wanted to be my best friend – and not,because I have some amazing personality!
                  My being different, from "that camp" ,  was enjoyed.
                  Even at the time, I was aware of being encouraged and helped by teachers, and having worked as a teacher myself, I realise they would have been primed to encourage me.
                  I did very well indeed during my time there and heard not a single word of negativity against the Poles. (I was fluent in english within 6 months)
                  I was as curious about my fellow school friends (who lived in real houses, some with staircases which led to an upper level- imagine!) as they were about me, living in a nissan hut.
                  I made my first visit to Poland aged 19, naively, I now realise, hoping to be a Pole amongst real Poles, at last.  My Polishness had been so carefully nurtured at home, in the camp, and sternly in the church.
                  I was to face a huge disappointment. To  my Polish relatives I was the English grand daughter, niece and cousin. It was not a great feeling. I wanted to be truly accepted by my family. Now I have to say, that whilst their hospitality was as only Polish hospitality can be, and I rejoiced in finally meeting my relatives (at this stage only on my mother's side) I was not, to them, a "real" Pole. (by their definition)
                  Incidentally I travelled on a Polish travel document, quite different to the Polish passports issued in Poland at the time.
                  And of course I was different. My relatives in Poland endured post war hardships which I did not, however, eventually, not so very long ago, I pointed out to my very much treasured Polish relatives, that yes indeed, we could, through hard work, achieve materialist benefits, which were not possible, under the communist regime, for Poles in Poland.
                  But you know what I acutely felt. The loss of an extended family. I was only able to identify this much later in life.My relatives in Poland had their whole extended families.  A wonderful thing, even in Post war Poland.
                  Today as a mother and grandmother, I value nothing as much as my family, and I am thrilled to be the matriarch of three post war generations.
                  Back to my Polishness, when eventually I visited my father's side of Poland, I(15 years ago) including finding cousins, I was prepared for the instant rejection of my claim to Polishness, by this time I was the Australian relative.
                  I ignored all that and allowed my heart to sing as I connected to what Barbara Milligan states "the Polish genes, blood and bone" and my Polish heart and soul.
                  Finally I accepted that indeed I am very Polish, (whatever others may think) I live a fortunate life of choice, I absolutely adore living in Australia, and simultaneously my Polishness responds to Polish music, poetry, traditions, and those genes, those bones, the blood which pumps through my heart.
                  It is not a sentimental observation, it is very real. I have wonderful Polish friends and observe some Polish traditions, but it is only part of my life, I also embrace all that Australia offers.
                  Since joining the Kresy Siberia site, my Polishness is very much in focus, but in fact it is my familial Polish roots which have stirred me so deeply. All that my father (In Siberia and in the theatre of war during the last year of war) and my mother, who was taken from her home to work in Germany, and how their displacement has affected me.
                  I am at heart a Pole, and yet I am different, because of my life experience, to the Poles in Poland, and, for that matter, anywhere else in the world.
                  Undoubtedly something very powerful and very Polish binds us.
                  Basia Zielinska (Sydney)

                  ------------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012

                    Basia Z.  Well spoken, these are the life experience, thoughts and feelings of many especially “I am at heart a Pole, and yet I am different, because of my life experience, to the Poles in Poland, and, for that matter, anywhere else in the world.”

                    This is why; I believe that Kresy-Siberia Group is so special to us all, because we understand each other completely.

                    Did you see Polish Christmas Festival – Darling Harbour, Sydney, 2.12.2012?  I will try to go with my daughters (depending on Babcia health) and introduce them to their Polish side.

                    Thank you Stefan for starting this group.

                    Warmest wishes

                    Lenarda, Australia

                    ------------------------------------

                    * PLEASE PAY YOUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE & MAKE A DONATION: http://tinyurl.com/ks-contribute

                    * Visit our merchandise & Bookstore: http://tinyurl.com/KS-Store
                      Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    * To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        Kresy-Siberia-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        Kresy-Siberia-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • twnkrissie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
                      I am wondering which polish camp were you in, in the UK? I was born in Marsworth in Herts/Bucks.reading through your post I must say I resonated with what you said a 100%! thanks you put it all so well!