People of 2 Corps event and project

  • Aneta Hoffmann
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2012
      Dear All,
      I have a great pleasure to inform you that Kresy-Siberia Foundation's event in Warsaw presenting our project "People of Polish 2 Corps" - "Żołnierze II Korpusu Polskiego w 70-tą rocznicę ewakuacji Armii Polskiej z ZSRR"/ "People of Polish 2 Corps in 70th anniversary of evacuation of Polish Army from Soviet Union", which we held yesterday - Monday 19 Nov, 12:00 was a great success.

      We organised it with Urzad ds Kombatantow, IPN (they gave us their conference space for it) and Museum of Polish History (which gave grant for that project this year). We had a full audience (over 120 people) and many officials ie Deputy President of IPN Agnieszka Rudzinska, Director of Museum of Polish History Robert Kostro, senator Borys-Damiecka (deputy chair of Senate Comittee of Polonia), representatives from Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Urzad ds Kombatantow, Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Defence.

      Many Sybiracy and 2 Corps came, also students from 2 schools holding name of Monte Cassino and Gen Anders in Warsaw.

      Our presentation of the project, which thanks to hard work of especially Krystyna Szypowska and other people helping her is visible since yesterday in Special Exhibitions section on KSVM, was found very well.
      People liked our fresh approach to the theme presenting different fates of people, which were part of 2 Corps : different ways to 2 Corps, different positions held in the army, different postwar fates.

      You can visit it :

      Also 40 minute film our Warsaw team made based on the testimonies recorded in this project with 2 Corps veterans was found very well.

      School choir of primary school in Warsaw named of Monte Cassino, which performed 3 songs of Feliks Konarski (2 rarely performed but beautiful) was found very moving.

      Last accord were short, oral testimonies of the veterans we invited from outside of Warsaw (thanks to money from Urzad ds Kombatantów), which speak very interesting about their war fates.

      At the end of the ceremony I was given occassional emblem from 3 Carpathian Riffle Brigade association on behalf of Sybiracy and veterans thanks to my (our) hard work of preservation and promotion of memories of 2 Corps history.

      Small refreshment after the event was the occasion for the further conversations, sharing memories, maintaing good contacts.

      Please visit the exhibition - done in Polish and in English can be accessible easily by everybody. I hope you will find interesting the testimonies of 16 veterans we have chosen to this project.

      Brgds

      Aneta Hoffmann
      General Manager
      Kresy-Siberia Foundation
      Warsaw, Poland
    • LenardaSzymczak
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 20, 2012

        Aneta, thank you for your report on the launch of “People of Polish 2 Corps”.  This is a much needed edition to Kresy-Siberia Foundation and I commend Krystyna Szypowska and all others, for putting in the humungous effort, extraordinary effort to compile all this information in the fresh, open, human way that is now the Trade Mark of Kresy-Siberia Group. A form that is understood by all peoples and all nationalities, to reach over the entire world, as this is where we were scattered and now tell our individual story, so the world is aware of the truth.

        It is through projects, such as this that the true history of our people, the Kresy people is known.  If we do not speak, then no one will know or listen, but if only one listens and tells another, this is enough to sow the seed of truth and correct the imbalance of history, with acknowledgement, respect and honour of our loved ones lost and the incredible journey undertaken by the survivors and the hardships faced by their children.  This opens a completely new avenue of research, which is much needed. Thank you.  (Now we know why Krystyna and others were so quiet, they were extremely busy, working for Group – we owe them much, in support and praise and thanks).

        Well done, this is the first step of many to come.

        Warmest regards,

        Lenarda, Australia

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 20, 2012
          Very impressive; after all of the hard work, you should be very proud.
          Thanks for making us look good!

          Mark T.
          Canada

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 20, 2012
            Aneta

            This is absolutely incredible.
            I want to add my thanks for your – and everyone else's – input.
            Your work is priceless and the best testimonial to all involved, touched by, suffered, survived – so we can be where we are today.
            Congratulations

            Basia Zielisnka (Sydney)

            From: Aneta Hoffmann <aneta.hoffmann@...>
            Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:49:45 -0700
            To: <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>

          • Carol Hornby-Clements
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
              Thank you so much for this.
              Carol UK

              --
              Carol C
              http://carolcsstuff.blogspot.com

            • Basia
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                This is brilliant. Many thanks for your efforts. We at KS are most fortunate to benefit from your generosity of time and energy.

                Basia Zielinska (Sydney)

              • Krystyna Szypowska
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                  Thank you Basia.  I’m glad that you appreciate the Special Exhibition we did on the Second Corps.  Of course, it all started with the veterans who agreed to participate and share their stories with us.  Several members of the team came together to gather the materials, record and process the testimonies, translate the texts, and upload everything into the format that you see online.  You can read more about who was involved in the About this Exhibition section.  Four of the bios remain to be completed in the coming days, and of course, all of the interview clips need to have translations added to make the exhibit completely bilingual, so there are still many hours to go before it is fully finished.  It is heartening and encouraging to know that the efforts are so well appreciated.

                  Kind regards,

                  Krystyna

                  -----

                  Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

                  This is brilliant. Many thanks for your efforts. We at KS are most fortunate to benefit from your generosity of time and energy.

                  Basia Zielinska (Sydney)

                • Helen Bitner

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Dear members, first of all I apologize but I feel the need to make a note that I hope will not be taken to evil.
                      The project People of the Polish Second Corp is beautiful, unfortunately, once again I could see that just about Monte Cassino, Ancona and Bologna, the rest does not matter. This I discovered seven years ago when the history of Poles in Italy enamored me so much that I decided to be able to stiduare thoroughly and restiotuirla to new generations. At that time I realized that between Egypt and Montecassino there was a hole, no one spoke of the landing in Puglia, the region chosen by Anders as a backwater of Monte Cassino, the site chosen to study those young soldiers who have discontinued their studies in by reason of captivity in the USSR, the place where you can rebuild, according to the plans of Anders, the future leaders of Poland. but there was no trace of Apulia, and to my regret I find that still do not talk about, but here in Puglia our elders still remember with affection those who received military reciprocated hospitality and helping the civilian population. Many of our elderly are moved again to the word Poles, many of them had saved his life thanks to the intervention of Polish doctors and hospitals in Casamassima and  Palagiano, many soldiers have become honorary citizens as a sign of gratitude on the part of the population, the same Narebski is an honorary citizen of Alessano, Colonel Tadeusz Sokolowski is an honorary citizen of Casamassima and so many others, Lipinski studied in Matino, Gradolsielska had its base in Palagianello.
                      Excuse me, but here we have written a page in history of war, of true humanity and brotherhood between our grandparents and Polish soldiers, a continuation of brotherhood which links Italy to Poland for almost 500 years and just in Puglia All Began .
                      I apologize to all of you.
                      Thank you,
                      Gianluca Vernole

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                        Dear Gianluca,

                        I am sorry that the project appears to have upset you.  The project is simply a selection of people who agreed to participate in the exhibit, and who provided the information about their story.  We would have loved to include more people and more stories in the exhibition, but our resources were limited for this project.

                        Next month we will be introducing the Second Corps GALLERY, a much larger project about the army, and in it you will find that all the areas you mention are indeed included.

                        Kind regards,

                        Krystyna

                        -----

                        Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013

                          Gianluca,

                          It is truly remarkable that Polish People, Kresy People in Exile, touched so many other Nations around the Globe.  We should slowly put together these stories, fill in these gaps, not just the main events.   I also understand that our funds are limited and our people of expertise to assist are also limited, but it should be considered to be done in the future as this is history to all of us and very impressive to be considered part of communities of another Nationality and Language.  This is a true honour to all the Polish Exiles and I am certain many of us, like me, were not aware of any connection or travel through the areas mentioned.

                          Thank you for showing us another direction of research

                          Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

[...]

                        • Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                            Happy New Year Gianluca!
                            Please do not despair - there is much work left to be done on the Virtual Museum.
                            In the meantime, your exhibition is here for everyone to look at and learn:
                            http://kresy-siberia.org/hom/element/english-miscellaneous/commemorative-exhibitions-medals-stamps-coins-etc/exhibition-in-casamassima-italy-the-poles-in-la-puglia-from-1944-to-1946-a%c2%80s-a-story-in-black-and-white/

                            best wishes
                            Elzunia Olsson
                            Sweden
                            my father Jerzy Gradosielski was one of the many wounded soldiers who was taken care of at the hospital in Casamassima.