RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Research---Witkowski

  • elisabeth MARTINEAU
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012

      Dear Antoni,

      I just wanted to thank you once again for this information that you found for me a year and a half ago. My father who lives in Canada (I live in France), has cancer and probably won’t be around much longer to tell me his stories. So I have gone forward with my research and with my grandfather’s death certificate that I obtained for the English city where he died, I discovered his birth date – Feb 9 1892, and I can be pretty sure that your first Josef Witkowski is the right one.

      I’m sending a letter to Polish Enquiries in England. I found the address on the Sikorski museum website. I will also now contact the two people whose e-mail addresses you gave me – one is in California and the other in Warsaw I believe. If there has been any change in address, please let me know.

      Where are you exactly Antoni? I was thinking of maybe working more particularly with the British branch of the group since my grandfather served in Anders army and lived in England for the last 20 years of his life, with my babcia.

      Many thanks once again

      Elzbieta

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
        Elzbieta,

        Absolutely , please follow up and write to Sikorski Ref Mrs Margaret Goddard and I am positive that there are records there for your father as well as at Hoover as I previously said. Please let us know what you can find. I live in Eastbourne in UK.
        Pozdrowienia,
        Antoni

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "elisabeth MARTINEAU" <elisabeth.martineau@...> wrote:

        > Dear Antoni,
        >

        > I just wanted to thank you once again for this information that you found
        > for me a year and a half ago. My father who lives in Canada (I live in
        > France), has cancer and probably won�t be around much longer to tell me his
        > stories. So I have gone forward with my research and with my grandfather�s
        > death certificate that I obtained for the English city where he died, I
        > discovered his birth date � Feb 9 1892, and I can be pretty sure that your
        > first Josef Witkowski is the right one.
        >

        > I�m sending a letter to Polish Enquiries in England. I found the address on
        > the Sikorski museum website. I will also now contact the two people whose
        > e-mail addresses you gave me � one is in California and the other in Warsaw
        > I believe. If there has been any change in address, please let me know.
        >

        > Where are you exactly Antoni? I was thinking of maybe working more
        > particularly with the British branch of the group since my grandfather
        > served in Anders army and lived in England for the last 20 years of his
        > life, with my babcia.
        >

        > Many thanks once again
        >
        > Elzbieta
        >

        > De : Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com] De
        > la part de Antoni Kazimierski
        > Envoy� : vendredi 13 mai 2011 15:03
        > � : Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
        > Objet : [Kresy-Siberia] Research---Witkowski
        >

        > Was --- [I'am a new member and would like to present myself]
        >

        > Elzbieta,
        >

        > You have not given us details of Jozef Witkowski; as you know it is quite a
        > popular name in Poland. DoB and his father's name if possible.
        >

        > In Hoover there are depositions of several Jozef Witkowskis, but one
        > possible is that of Jozef Witkowski born 1892 arrested in Lithuania and
        > interned to lagier camp in Krasnoyarskij Kraj. The arrest was on 14th June
        > 1941.
        >
        > Jozef was Starszy Wachmistrz and was in Brygada Karpacka in Anders. Ref
        > 3242/24 at Hoover.
        >

        > Another possibility is that of Jozef Witkowski, kapral/lekarz who lived in
        > Baranowicze was arrested 21st June 1941 also deported to Krasnojarskij Kraj,
        > Aczynski rajon, camp Bolshoj Utuj. then to Dzambul in Kazachstan; amnestied
        > 21st September 1941. ref 13334/51 and 12440/49
        >
        > Joined Anders as well.
        >

        > Yet another Jozef Witkowski b 1898,was from Swieciany near Wilno deported
        > 28th June 1940 to Witebsk then to Kola , Kozwa and eventualy to Starobielsk.
        > ref 6026/31
        >

        > antoni530

      • alphadea
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
          Hi Antoni

          I read with great interest the information here from the Hoover archives. How does one access this information?

          I would like to find out which camp my father was in and when he was arrested. His name was Emil Walter (Wladislaw) Podrozny, born Oct 9, 1918. His father's name was Wladislaw Podrozny.

          Are there searchable lists of names? Do you have to go to the archives in person?

          Thank you,
          Sophia
          Guelph, Canada

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Antoni Kazimierski" <ASKAZIMIERSKI@...> wrote:

          > Was --- [I'am a new member and would like to present myself]
          >
          > Elzbieta,
          >
          > You have not given us details of Jozef Witkowski; as you know it is quite a popular name in Poland. DoB and his father's name if possible.
          >
          > In Hoover there are depositions of several Jozef Witkowskis, but one possible is that of Jozef Witkowski born 1892 arrested in Lithuania and interned to lagier camp in Krasnoyarskij Kraj. The arrest was on 14th June 1941.
          > Jozef was Starszy Wachmistrz and was in Brygada Karpacka in Anders. Ref 3242/24 at Hoover.
          >
          > Another possibility is that of Jozef Witkowski, kapral/lekarz who lived in Baranowicze was arrested 21st June 1941 also deported to Krasnojarskij Kraj, Aczynski rajon, camp Bolshoj Utuj. then to Dzambul in Kazachstan; amnestied 21st September 1941. ref 13334/51 and 12440/49
          > Joined Anders as well.
          >
          > Yet another Jozef Witkowski b 1898,was from Swieciany near Wilno deported 28th June 1940 to Witebsk then to Kola , Kozwa and eventualy to Starobielsk. ref 6026/31
          >

          > antoni530

        • antoni530
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
            Dear Sophia,

            May I suggest you write directly to pani czernichowska@... and ask if there are any depositions written by Pan Podrozny; that will disclose here he was in the camp/camps.
            Alternatively please search at szukajwarchiwach.pl and the section of Hoover numbered 800 ... Anders files which are arranged alphabetically.
            antoni530 in UK

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "alphadea" <podrozny@...> wrote:

            > Hi Antoni
            >
            > I read with great interest the information here from the Hoover archives. How does one access this information?
            >
            > I would like to find out which camp my father was in and when he was arrested. His name was Emil Walter (Wladislaw) Podrozny, born Oct 9, 1918. His father's name was Wladislaw Podrozny.
            >
            > Are there searchable lists of names? Do you have to go to the archives in person?
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Sophia
            > Guelph, Canada
            >
            > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Antoni Kazimierski" <ASKAZIMIERSKI@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Was --- [I'am a new member and would like to present myself]
            > >
            > > Elzbieta,
            > >
            > > You have not given us details of Jozef Witkowski; as you know it is quite a popular name in Poland. DoB and his father's name if possible.
            > >
            > > In Hoover there are depositions of several Jozef Witkowskis, but one possible is that of Jozef Witkowski born 1892 arrested in Lithuania and interned to lagier camp in Krasnoyarskij Kraj. The arrest was on 14th June 1941.
            > > Jozef was Starszy Wachmistrz and was in Brygada Karpacka in Anders. Ref 3242/24 at Hoover.
            > >
            > > Another possibility is that of Jozef Witkowski, kapral/lekarz who lived in Baranowicze was arrested 21st June 1941 also deported to Krasnojarskij Kraj, Aczynski rajon, camp Bolshoj Utuj. then to Dzambul in Kazachstan; amnestied 21st September 1941. ref 13334/51 and 12440/49
            > > Joined Anders as well.
            > >
            > > Yet another Jozef Witkowski b 1898,was from Swieciany near Wilno deported 28th June 1940 to Witebsk then to Kola , Kozwa and eventualy to Starobielsk. ref 6026/31
            > >

            > > antoni530

          • Beata Hanks
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
              Antoni

              I have followed the advice you have given to Sophia regarding Hoover, which word/name/title should I use as, having used my father's surname, his place of birth etc., and the same for my mum, I get the message "no data found"?

              Please help.

              Regards

              Beata Hanks
              Melton Mowbray UK

              > I read with great interest the information here from the Hoover archives. How does one access this information?
              >
              > I would like to find out which camp my father was in and when he was arrested. His name was Emil Walter (Wladislaw) Podrozny, born Oct 9, 1918. His father's name was Wladislaw Podrozny.
              >
              > Are there searchable lists of names? Do you have to go to the archives in person?
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Sophia
              > Guelph, Canada
              >
              > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Antoni Kazimierski" <ASKAZIMIERSKI@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Was --- [I'am a new member and would like to present myself]
              > >
              > > Elzbieta,
              > >
              > > You have not given us details of Jozef Witkowski; as you know it is quite a popular name in Poland. DoB and his father's name if possible.
              > >
              > > In Hoover there are depositions of several Jozef Witkowskis, but one possible is that of Jozef Witkowski born 1892 arrested in Lithuania and interned to lagier camp in Krasnoyarskij Kraj. The arrest was on 14th June 1941.
              > > Jozef was Starszy Wachmistrz and was in Brygada Karpacka in Anders. Ref 3242/24 at Hoover.
              > >
              > > Another possibility is that of Jozef Witkowski, kapral/lekarz who lived in Baranowicze was arrested 21st June 1941 also deported to Krasnojarskij Kraj, Aczynski rajon, camp Bolshoj Utuj. then to Dzambul in Kazachstan; amnestied 21st September 1941. ref 13334/51 and 12440/49
              > > Joined Anders as well.
              > >
              > > Yet another Jozef Witkowski b 1898,was from Swieciany near Wilno deported 28th June 1940 to Witebsk then to Kola , Kozwa and eventualy to Starobielsk. ref 6026/31
              > >

              > > antoni530

            • Dan Ford
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                By no means did all of the Anders Army people submit essays. I think the
                best representation came from the "cadets" who wrote their depositions
                as a class assignment. (This is just a guess.) - Dan Ford US

                On 11/22/2012 6:37 AM, Beata Hanks wrote:
                > I get the message "no data found"?

              • STEPHEN STELMASZUK
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                  Dan i read that Anders encouraged everybody to write a statement but not all did including my late father.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Dear Antoni,

                    Thank you so much for your advice. I looked at

                    szukajwarchiwach.pl in the Anders documents, personal card index, Dokumenty Wladyslawa Andersa 800/1/0/-/23

                    and yes indeed! I was very excited to find a card for my father in there. His name is spelled Podorozny, Emilian, which is a version I have not seen before.

                    Unfortunately, not much is written on the card - much less than many of the other cards. It does not state where he was sent in Siberia. Because my Polish is very limited, I cannot read the information on the card.

                    I have posted the card (and Emil's army ID photo) in the photos section (album alphadea). Could you please have a look at it and tell me what it says?

                    Also can you give the address of Pani Czernichowska? The yahoo site did not print out the e-mail address properly.

                    Thank you again for your great help and may God Bless you with a Very Happy New Year!

                    Sophia Podrozny
                    Guelph, Canada

                    daughter of Emil Walter Podrozny
                    born Kociubince, Ternopol, 1918
                    deported to Siberia, location unknown
                    joined Polish Second Corps
                    served in Monte Cassino
                    post war in England
                    immigrated to Canada 1950
                    Died Toronto, Ontario 1994

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "antoni530" <askazimierski@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Sophia,
                    >
                    > May I suggest you write directly to pani czernichowska@... and ask if there are any depositions written by Pan Podrozny; that will disclose here he was in the camp/camps.
                    > Alternatively please search at szukajwarchiwach.pl and the section of Hoover numbered 800 ... Anders files which are arranged alphabetically.
                    > antoni530 in UK

                  • antoni530
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2013
                      Sophea,

                      Happy new Yearto you!

                      Yes, the entry is for Podorozny (Milko) Emilian ref 791/59 792/59 but he did not fill it in fully; so the answer is to write to Pani Irena Czernichowska and ask for details; she is at czrnichowska@... and also to write to Karta in Warsaw to k.janiak@... who, might have some details too.