Soviet Invasion

  • stephen.stelmaszuk@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2012
      My father was serving with the No 25 Lancers in Eastern Poland during this period.He was captured by the Soviets on the 19th of September.Does anyone have any information about my fathers unit.
      Thanks.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2012
        Was he Wlodzimiersz born in 1890 or  Franciszek born 1892?

        Mark T.
        Canada
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2012
          Hello Stephen,
          I believe that Major Jozef Kazak (later a Colonel) was perhaps the Commanding Officer of this unit, the 25th Lancers. He was married to Janina Topolski, the aunt of my husband, Aleksander Topolski.
          Col. Kazak's daughter, Krystyna, now about 80 years old, is still alive and living in Poland near her son, Janusz Wieczorek. Janusz is in touch with us by email and can understand and even write quite well in English.
          Col. Kazak returned to Poland shortly after the war to be with his wife and two children. But there he toiled in jobs below his potential and didn't talk about his wartime experiences. He didn't want to draw attention to himself or his family for fear of reprisals under the Communist government of Poland that squelched anything or anybody that criticised the USSR and its role in WW 2.
          Aleks, now 89, still remembers his Uncle Jozef as the dashing young cavalry officer station in Pruzana, in the Pripet Marshes of Eastern Poland, who lifted him, then age 5 or 6, up into the saddle of his fine horse and treated his nephew-to-be as if he were a treasured young recruit for the cavalry.
          Aleks, thanks to the International Red Cross and some serendipity, met his uncle in c. March 1945 at Matera, a Polish Army transport hub and training centre in Southern Italy. There Kazak told him the story of how he, along with some other Poles, escaped from Poland in 1939 via Jugoslavia and joined the Polish Forces in Syria that went on to form the Carpathian Brigade. They fought in North Africa alongside British troops facing the renowned German General Rommel, "The Desert Fox".
          Aleks tells Kazak's wartime story in detail in his memoires "Without A Roof:WAR! -- A Polish soldier's
          adventures in the Middle East and Italy in World War II" (the sequel to his memoires of prison and the Gulag in the USSR 1939-42, "Without Vodka").  Without A Roof: WAR!  has not yet been published in English but the Polish edition will be launched in a few weeks by Rebis Publishing as Bez Dachu.
          You didn't mention in your brief note to our group where you live and if you read Polish. When we know  things like that, then we can sometimes be more specific in ways to help people like you to find what you are looking for.
          Aleks has short term memory difficulties now, but often his long term memory is quite good. Email me further questions and I can ask him what he remembers related to your search.

          Joan Eddis-Topolski
          Ottawa, Canada

          Soviet Invasion

          Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 am (PDT) . Posted by:

          "stephen.stelmaszuk@..." stephen.stelmaszuk@...

          My father was serving with the No 25 Lancers in Eastern Poland during this period.He was captured by the Soviets on the 19th of September.Does anyone have any information about my fathers unit.
          Thanks.

          ----- www.withoutvodka.com
        • STEPHEN STELMASZUK
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2012
            Sorry Joan i should have said i am in Glasgow Scotland.