Vasili Blokhin - Mass Murder of Polish Officers (method) - wiki

  • Basia
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
      Dear Barbara
      How thrilling to read your post!It must be stupendous! I know I am so grateful to members for helping me piece information about my father.
      I will especially remember my dad tomorrow, his birthday and will spend it with my grandson who turns 2 on the same day.
      I sit in grateful amazement at how the horrors, memories of them, that our relatives endured, are giving us, through that inspired Kresy Siberia Org a constant stream of joy as we find missing links.
      I am not in any way trying to diminish the collective pain, but for the past two weeks especially my personal pain has been eclipsed by joy.
      So Mark T and everyone else – Never give up  and keep writing your stories
      --

      Basia Zielinska (Sydney Australia)

      From: Barbara Dunleavy <barbaraszczepanski@...>

      Hi Mark T and group,

      I just wanted to re-iterate what others have said - never give up.   You could, like me, one day have a miracle happen which will change your life forever.

      Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3990911/grpspId=1705444571/msgId=51724/stime=1343861301/nc1=4507179/nc2=3848627/nc3=4025373

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
        I am back to the comb and the other personal items at Bykownia. I am looking at the identified effects and assuming that these men rest there in the Bykownia mass grave. They are all on the Ukr List and I list the codes following their names for comparison.
        Turkiewicz, Fran 56/1-41 (not an identified person, but the object of my search)
        Dvorak, Lud 55/3-32
        Dvulyat Basil A. 56/2-49
        Dvulit Henry M. 65/3-126
        Naglik, Jozef 41/1-78
        Strzelecki, Fran 43/3-38
        Grankovsky, Michal 42/253
        Grankovsky, Stan 72/2-1
        If I understand correctly, there are approx 100 men per list on average.
        The first two digits of the codes after their name is the "list number". Next is the code for the killer, next is the sequence in which he was killed.
        Example, Turkiewicz and Dvulyat were both on list 56, but had different killers.
        The Ukr victims seem to cover at least lists numbered 41 (Naglik) to list #72 (Grankovsky). maybe 3100 guys, at least. Absence of lists under #41 might just mean nobody has been positively identified yet or they died somewhere else.
        The next column on the list shows (example) 101+87+108+ 96+100, suggesting numbers killed each day or each batch if not daily.
        Interesting is the next digit of the code which is supposed to be the designated # for the executioner. We have "1, 2 or 3" suggesting 3 different killers. If the Ukr victims were all murdered at the same place, there were 3 different killers there. On list 56 we see 2 different killers; were there 2 line-ups that day?
        Another very interesting thing is Grankovsky, Michal. The code after his name is different from all the rest, 42/253, no executioner code indicated. He is just #253 and the next  column indicates simply '418'. It suggests to me the possibility that 418 guys were killed at the same time in NOT the same manner.

        Mark T.
        Canada
        From: Lenarda Szymczak <szymczak01@...>
        Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:48:13 +1000
        To: <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>

        Mark, dont give up until you find him and I am sure in your prayers, he will lead you. I know how important it is for closure, to know where the last footprint on earth was.  I also cannot find my grandfather, but I have his history and his story and have made a mark for the family on the internet and officially approved sites to his existence and courage, but before this there was nothing. You have made a mark and in time the rest will come.

        Warmest regards
        Lenarda, Australia

        From.
        Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3990911/grpspId=1705444571/msgId=51724/stime=1343861301/nc1=4507179/nc2=3848627/nc3=4025373

      • Anne Kaczanowski
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
          I never knew posting the comb would give you reason to do such amazing searching for clarity. Sometimes we come across a particular "thing"  that just weaves us into the search so it becomes very much a part of our blood.

          hania

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
            Thank you for those names! Very helpful.

            (You cite three shooters, but the numbers on the Ukrainian list go up to
            5. Shooter Number 5 may have been a higher ranking NKVD officer, because
            his victims were mostly field-grade officers and above. He killed my
            friend Basia's father, a retired colonel who was arrested in Lwow on
            December 9/10 1939 and sent east some time early in 1940.) - Dan Ford US

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
              Yes, it affected me that way, too! -- Dan Ford US

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                I wasnt sure that 4 and 5 did any of the Ukr list. Was Basia' father on one of the other lists?

                Mark T.
                Canada

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                  I would pay alot of money for that comb just so I could stare at it.

                  Mark T.
                  Canada

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                    Dan,
                    I checked back and see a few 5s on the UKR list; but hardly a days work.
                    I have a plan to analyze the list a little further using a spreadsheet but it will be very time-consuming.
                    List 42 is very interesting and almost appears to be a mass slaughter by machine gun or some othe method, and list 41 was a busy day and might be Blokhin the champ.

                    Mark T.
                    Canada

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                      On 8/6/2012 5:41 PM, Mark wrote:
                      > I checked back and see a few 5s on the UKR list; but hardly a days work
                      I have this image of Number 5 as an overweight captain or major or maybe
                      even a colonel, who every once in a while is called out to kill a
                      high-ranking Polish prisoner. I see him stuffing his cigar into an
                      ashtray, heaving a big sigh, strapping on his pistol belt over his
                      belly, putting on his blue-trimmed cap, and going off to work with a bad
                      humor.

                      As compared to the German units that rounded up Jews and other
                      anti-social elements more or less at random, and shot them at the edge
                      of pits they had to dig themselves, the NKVD strike me as highly
                      legalistic. Many or most or perhaps all of the Katyn victims actually
                      received a trial, even though they weren't present at it or even knew
                      about it, and even though the verdict was fixed in advance. Assigning a
                      comparatively dignified officer to shoot other field-grade or general
                      officers would be just the sort of thing the NKVD would do.

                      Dan Ford US
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                        I see your image of Big #5.
                        We are asked to believe that Baria pitched for the big sentence upgrade only in  the famous March 1940 letter; that this was a genuine and sudden recommmendation for consideration by the team; but is it possible that the decision long-preceeded that? Could Stalin ever risk releasing these proven hardcore patriots?
                        It may have just been a matter of logisitcs and setting up the paper trail since world allies were potentially watching. Death sentences for the crime of 'enemy of the state' didnt start in 1939, thousands were already being killed for years and none were bigger 'enemies of the state' than our guys. I would like to see those trail records.
                        Baria had focus on the first prepared lists immediately upon invasion. They were marked men; and could not have been considered good candidates for 'rehabilitation'.
                        Stalin knew what these guys were capable of, many of them had been in the bolshevik war and broke up his party at Warsaw. There were rumors that while in jail our boys were instigating and agitating and they had vast military experience. Intelligence-gathering from the polish underground was strong. Maybe Baria dworried about a surprise from the poles and decided to  recommend a fast-track process beginning with that letter.
                        The absence of any one word anywhere about a long term plan for our guys speaks volumes. They were never getting out.
                        Maybe big #5 was to try one last chance at certain high ranking targets to try to gleen some intelligence.
                        Just thinking...

                        Mark T.
                        Canada