Re: Fw: [Kresy-Siberia (est.2001)] What amenities were available to Poli

  • Alexandra Copley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2012
      Chris

      The only information that I can contribute to your search is a story that my father told.  He was hospitalized in Cairo briefly in 1942 after leaving the Soviet Union through Pahlevi.  He spoke of attending a very lavish garden party, an entertainment arranged for 'walking wounded' Polish servicemen, which was hosted by the then Prime Minister of Egypt, Nahhas Pasha. After the recent privations of his life in the Soviet Union he could hardly believe his eyes at the plentitude on offer at this party.  It was in July, 1942;  I have a photo of him from Cairo, shortly before he went to England to join the PAF in August.

      It is is not exactly the information you are seeking, but confirms that efforts were made by someone to offer Polish service personnel hospitality in Cairo.  Perhaps others in this group have similar stories to add.

      Alexandra Copley
      Australia