Re: [Kresy-Siberia (est.2001)] Zwierzynski family

  • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      Very interesting, Lenarda!
      It may indeed be some relatives living in Wolyn!
      But main branch of the exact - near Iwieniec. Now I'll post photo in my portfolio -  relatives Zwierzynski close to Iwieniec on their own (or rather non-existent) folwark. Photo about 1934
      In foreground sits Witold Zwierzynski - brother of my grandfather, on his chest, not only Cross of Merit, but Pilsudski Medal for war of 1918-20. Next, perhaps, his sister Jadwiga and other relatives. Unfortunately, I do not know name of my gradgrandmother.
      So it has to search for "gray cat in a dark room." And suddenly it is no longer there, and I did not find?
      But this is not so important. It is important to found my roots, I begin understand more other people. And the fact that such an incredibly strong people, like our relatives, no longer in our time.
      I thought that me did not say anything about past because we lived in the Soviet Union and it could severely hurt. But then I was surprised that in England and other countries, - grandfathers, fathers, mothers and grandmothers, too, not really shared memories of a terrible and heroic past. The reasons, as I think, there were two, and they are common:
      1) We, the members of group while were young, and not ready for information which is now riven by our souls. Now we are more willing to, and how it all portable. And even want to know more of the truth, whatever it was. Just a little truth in all different, it is individual.
      2) They took care of our minds and did not consider themselves heroes. Who survived the slaughter - has a different attitude towards life as a daily gift. And we relaxed and we think that this will not happen again. I'm not sure.
      Thank you for your participation, Stan.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
        Hello Stan,

        There were also other reasons why our parents in the West did not talk about these experiences:
        3) They were specifically told by the Western Authorities never to speak of these things (since the West allied itself with Stalin, it would be embarrassing to them to have it made public that they made a deal with the devil)
        4) When they did speak of it, no one believed them, because it was not common public knowledge – and later it was omitted from all school text books.
        5) They were afraid that speaking of it would be harmful to any relatives who were left behind in Poland or Russia.

        Kind regards,

        Krystyna

        -----

        Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

        Executive Director, Kresy-Siberia Foundation - registered in Warsaw (KRS 0000326445)

        Chair, Kresy-Siberia (Canada) Inc. - Federal Corporation (IC 767574-7)

        Director, Kresy-Siberia (UK) - Registered Charity No. 1137210

        www.Kresy-Siberia.org

        "Established to inspire, promote and support research, remembrance

        and recognition of Polish citizens’ struggles in the Eastern Borderlands

        and in Exile during World War II."

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012

          Stan,

          You are most welcome, we as a group exist to help each other.

          Another reason for not speaking of the past, like my mother from Zhitomir Region, she was afraid of Soviets finding her and hurting her family. She did not want her family killed because she escaped.

          Regards

          Lenarda, Australia