In Darkness

  • Dan Ford
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2012
      The DVD of In Darkness will be released in June. Something to look
      forward to! -- Dan Ford, New Hampshire USA
    • Lucyna Artymiuk
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2012

        Last Sunday I had the opportunity to see a preview of Agnieszka Holland’s “In Darkness”.  It is being released in Australia on 17th.

        If you have a chance to see it – I would recommend that you see it.  It gives an insight into Poland’s multicultural and multilingual past.

        And if you understand Polish and you don’t fully understand some of the dialogue (like a young friend of mine) – the reason is that there is much of the Lwow Dialect – which unfortunately is dying out with the older generation.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lw%C3%B3w_dialect

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batiar

        so if you have roots in that area it is well worth seeing.

        The film is based on a real story and Agnieszka Holland has made another great film.

        If you want to see an interview with one of the survivors characters from the  film

        In Polish

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2OFt-umCI

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_acuzt8uHk

        IN ENGLISH

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd7WKPMcFbA

        Lucyna

        Melbourne

      • Dan Ford
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2012
          Very interesting! Where do you suppose the (western) Polish film-makers
          found the Lwow speakers? Surely not in today's Lviv?

          But then I am always astonished at what modern actors can do with
          language. The other day I watched the DVD of Leonardo Dicaprio in Blood
          Diamond, where he plays the role of a former Rhodesian mercenary
          soldier, very convincingly.

          -- Dan Ford, New Hampshire USA

          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2012

            Polish actors who learnt the phrases

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 15, 2012
              I watched this film over the course of the last two nights. (It was
              really too emotional for one sitting.) I didn't realize until the end
              that it was a true story, based apparently on a book written by one of
              the Lwow sewer survivors who emigrated first to Israel and then to the
              United States.

              They were fourteen months in the sewer. Since Lwow was liberated as I
              recall in June 1944, that would mean that they went into it about
              February 1943. Really rather surprising that they lasted so long in the
              ghetto, but I suppose it took a while to kill a hundred thousand people!

              One of the amazing things about the film is the change in the Polish
              sewer worker, who except for his fondness for his wife and daughter is
              really a rather unpleasant skunk at the beginning of the film, yet by
              the end he is not only a good heart but a rather handsome man, at least
              when he smiles. A remarkable bit of acting.

              I suspect that any Americans who have seen the film (not many, I'll
              bet!) are mystified by the handsome character in a neat uniform, Socha's
              friend and likewise a great pal of the Germans. He is identified as
              Ukrainian in passing, but there is no other reference to a Ukrainian
              militia that would explain his role.

              I was quite choked up by the end. Hard to believe it didn't win the
              Oscar for best foreign film of 2011. (It probably should have been Best
              Film, full stop!)

              I rented it from Netflix, which put it on the available list on June 12.
              Anyone in the US who doesn't have Netflix DVD rental (I don't know if
              it's available on streaming internet) really ought to sign up for a
              trial subscription!

              It is available on Amazon.com, both as a DVD and after something of a
              delay as an "instant video" rental for four dollars. I watch an
              occasional television show (Mad Men, House, Downton Abbey) on my
              computer because I just have a basic cable service, no fancy channels.
              It's an acceptable alternative if you don't want to buy the DVD or join
              Netflix: -- Dan Ford, New Hampshire USA