Prof. Norman Davies in Melbourne

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2012

      The Society of Polish Culture in Victoria

      under the auspices of the Polish Community Council of Victoria

      Invite you to

      Meet the Author – Europe’s most famous historian

      Professor Norman Davies, FBA, CMG, OZ

      Professor Norman Davies, is an English historian of Welsh descent, known for his excellent publications on the history of Europe and the British Isles.  He is the author of the prize-winning history of Poland, God's Playground (1981) and the Number 1 best-seller in Britain Europe: A History (OUP, 1996). Professor Davies has been awarded the CMG in 2001 for 'services to history', and has collected several Polish distinctions including the Order of Merit.

      Norman Davies is a regular broadcaster and commentator. He has been a visiting professor at Columbia, McGill, Hokkaido, Stanford, Harvard, Adelaide, ANU, and Cambridge. From 2000 - 2006 he was a Supernumerary Fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford and in 2006-2008 a Visiting Fellow at Clare Hall and Peterhouse, Cambridge. He is an Honorary Fellow of St.Antony’s College, Oxford University and an honorary citizen of four Polish cities - Lublin, Krakow, Warsaw and Wroclaw.

      Today Norman Davies resides in Oxford where he lives and writes.

      His publications include:

      White Eagle, Red Star: the Polish-Soviet War, 1919-20 (1972);

      God's Playground: a History of Poland (1981);

      Heart of Europe: the Past in Poland's Present (1984);

      Europe: a History (1996); The Isles: a History (1996);

      Microcosm: Portrait of a Central European City, on Wroclaw/Breslau, with Roger Moorhouse (2000);

      Rising '44: the Battle for Warsaw (2003);

      Europe East and West: Collected Essays (2006);

      Europe at War, 1939-45: No Simple Victory (2006), published in the USA as No Simple Victory (2007)";

      Vanished Kingdoms (2011).

      on Sunday 29 April 2012

      at 3.00 – 5.00 pm

      Alexandra Theatre, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton

      Master of Ceremonies:  Dr Zdzislaw Derwinski

      Guest Artists:  Ms Jolanta Mielczarek and Mr Roman Syrek

      Entry:   $10.00 ($5.00 concession)

      Professor Norman Davies is visiting Australia and will be the guest of honour and speaker at the eleventh “ 3 May 1791 Polish Constitution Day” Commemorative Dinner.

    • annapacewicz
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 9:30 PM
        Hi Lucyna, are you going? I couldn't find anything about it on the web, do you have any other information?
        Thank you,
        Anna Pacewicz
        Sydney Australia

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 9:37 PM

          PCCCV isnt very efficient in keeping their website up to date