Re: Fw: Re:[Kresy-Siberia] old documents from Russian times

  • Barbara Milligan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
      Ah, thank you Antoni. It is so good to have it sorted in my tiny brain. My Mum lived in Nowa Wilejka as a child.

      Best wishes,  Basia (UK)
      On 3 Feb 2012, at 17:16, Antoni Kazimierski wrote:

      Subject: Re:old documents from Russian times

      Basia and Cynthia,

      Yes, there are two names of Vileyka; Nowa Wilejka is a part of Wilno and is in Lithuania; what was long time ago Stara Wilejka, which now is in Belarus, is generally referred to as Vileyka (hence the area is Vilejszczyzna) and Makarycze where Michal Pukiello was born is a small place just North of it.
      There is a great deal written about this in a book which Alex Weldon sent me and where mention is made about Pukiello family. The book is in Belarussian.
      It is in this Wilejka where there was the infamous prison for many in 1939-41.
      antoni530 in UK.