Question regarding trains during deportation

  • Marisa Z.
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 26, 2011
      Hello everyone,
      It's been a while since I've popped in here. For those of you who don't know me, a quick introduction: I am not of Polish descent, but my husband is. His grandfather was a victim of Katyn, and his mother and her family were later deported to Siberia. My husband's stepfather experienced a similar childhood. I am still toiling away at a historical fiction novel for young people based on the experiences of my in-laws. The novel follows the experiences of a young teen boy and girl, whose paths cross at various times in the story.

      An important part of the story is the actual deportation experience, and here is where I am having trouble.

      I checked the transport records and saw that in February, 1940, trains departed from Perespa Station and Nieswicz Station, which are both close to Luck, Poland at that time. My big question, and I hope that I can make this work, is whether or not either of these trains would have made a scheduled stop in Luck to pick up more deportees. (I do know from my father-in-law that he was actually deported from Luck in April 1940, so I'm unsure if other people would have been deported from Luck earlier on in February.) Would anyone have any idea whether or not the trains from Perespa or Nieswicz would stop in Luck in February, 1940? I am hoping that if the answer is yes, my two characters can meet for a fleeting moment (girl on the train, boy not yet deported but at the station) before the train moves onward on its journey.

      I hope my question wasn't too confusing. I welcome any knowledge you would be willing to share.

      Thanks so much,

      Marisa.
    • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 4, 2011
        Wow, that would be fun eh?

        Seems in the days of Tzar , 1842 ( way before Lenin or Stalin days), the German rail consultants suggested to the Tzar to use the same as German at 1,500mm (4ft 11.5 inches). But that would be too darn easy for Germany to invade Russia. So they decided to use wide guge, of 1,524mm ( exactly 5 feet ) which was in common use in southern USA only. The tzar could still buy standard , already in production and proven technology, but not put his country at risk of attack.

        This Russian 5 ft railsystem from 1842 was standerdized in 1960's to present day 4ft 11 & 5/6 inches = 1520mm.

        From Zbigniew's iPhone ♬ ♪ ♫

        On 2011-08-04, at 2:26 AM, Zenon Kuzik <zenon.kuzik@...> wrote:

        Zbyszku:

        In 1993 when I went by train from Wroclaw to Lwow, at Przemysl (where the third rail for the broad gauge began) all the carriages with the passengers still inside were jacked up so that the axles for the wider gauge could be attached.  What an experience that was!

        Of course, the Russian broad gauge pre-dated Lenin and Stalin.

        Zenon Kuzik
        New Zealand

        On 2011-08-03, at 8:42 AM, ed Bator <edijadzia@...> wrote:

        This may put somo more light on train or railroad question.  I do not claim this was in all cases,
        however I recall that in 1940, in Janowa Dolina, powiat Kostopol, Wolyn, Soviets added one more rail to
         the existing track so the trains loaded with cobble stones and gravel from Janowa Dolina Rock
        Quarry could go unobstructed for Stalins roads.  When we were transported to Kostopol in
        pasangers cars (15 km away), we had to change the trains and loaded into "cattle cars" waiting
        on a siding.  From there on, our "luxurious " accomodation served us for over two weeks till  we
        got to Kazakhstan.  I have not heard in my existance with other Sybiraks,  mention anything about
        changing trains at the "ex-border".  Ruskis were pilfering Poland of whatever was not "nailed down"
        and than some that was nailed, so adding one more rail to existing trak was a good answer.  Their
        trains could come and go at their leisure.  Could be that the third rail was added on only certain lines.
        Hope this adds some clearing to this question.
        Ed (s.j.)