Alone in Warsaw

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2011
      My husband and I will be traveling to Warsaw for the first time next week, en route to a wedding in Sweden. We only have three days there, however my husband just found out that he has to be in the middle east for a meeting Tues-Wed!
      So, that leaves me solo in Warsaw for two days and two nights. . .
      Although I've done alot of traveling, I do not speak a word of Polish and know no-one in the city.
      I know it is very short notice, but can anyone recommend a good tour company who could show me around the city? I have looked online, but not sure which one I can trust to be reputable.
      Also, as this trip was booked only recently, there has not been sufficient time to prepare anything regarding research on my family ties there, but if anyone knows of any genealogical sites or organizations that I could visit there, I'd greatly appreciate anything you can pass along.
      Thank you!
      Stephanie (Szwarce) Reeve
    • stefan.wisniowski@kresy-siberia.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2011
        Hi Stephanie

        I invite you to get in touch with our Kresy-Siberia Foundation staff in Warsaw, headed by group member Aneta Hoffmann.

        Though Kresy-Siberia started as simply an e-mail discussion list, in the background there are full-time people working on our websites and Virtual Museum to support our mission.  It would be great if you had the chance to say hello to them in our office, which is located just next to the Royal Castle in Warsaw's Old Town.

        The contact details are:
        Fundacja Kresy-Syberia
        ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 64, 00-322 Warszawa
        Tel +48 22 556 9055
        Cell: +48 502 870 596

        Let us know how you go!

        Stefan

        --
        STEFAN WIŚNIOWSKI
        Foundation President

        ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 64 lok. 31
        00-322 Warszawa, Polska
        tel/fax +48 22 556 90 55

        Personal:
        Seaforth NSW 2092 Australia
        Tel +61 411 864 873
        Stefan.Wisniowski@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011
          Stephanie. My cousin does this for a living....working as a tour guide.
          He speaks English very well. I don't know which company he works for, or
          whether or not he's home at the moment, as he travels worldwide with the
          tour company.
          But if you could get him, you'd know he would be honest. Plus. He's very
          pleasant company.

          I'll send you his contact information privately.

          Helena
          New Hampshire, USA
          hthayden@...
          57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e17081381f82294ac6st03vuc
        • Terry Tegnazian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011

            We had a lovely private guide and translator a few years ago during our first trip to Warsaw, who was referred to us by the concierge at the Bristol Hotel. She also does genealogical research in Poland.

            I’m not sure if she is still doing tour guiding, but please feel free to contact her to inquire – if she can’t do it, maybe she can refer you to someone. Her name is Jadwiga Weralska. The last email address I have is jweralska@... .

            Another suggestion is to call or email the concierge at your hotel for assistance in finding a guide.

            Warsaw’s a wonderful city, and I’m sure you’ll have a great time! Good luck.

            Best,

            Terry

            Terry A. Tegnazian
            President
            Aquila Polonica (U.S.) Ltd.
            10850 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 300
            Los Angeles, CA 90024
            Tel: 310-470-0770
            Email: info at aquilapolonica.com
            Website:
            www.AquilaPolonica.com; www.PolandWW2.com
            Facebook:
            http://www.facebook.com/PolandWW2
            Twitter:
            http://twitter.com/polandww2
            Aquila Polonica Publishing is dedicated to publishing, in English, the Polish experience of World War II
            with first-hand accounts, memoirs, photographs, artwork, poetry, literature and historical studies.

            New from Aquila Polonica! “303 Squadron: The Legendary Battle of Britain Fighter Squadron,” by Arkady Fiedler
            “About as exciting as it gets…a must-read.”
            —The Washington Times

            Winner of the top Gold Award for History at the 2011 Benjamin Franklin Awards