Lithuanian Deportation Exhibit and Programs in Chicago

  • Andrzej w Buffalo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
      Not sure if anyone's seen what the Lithuanian Museum in Chicago is doing. They've got a complex series of programs and and exhibit related to the 70th anniversary of Lithuanian deportations.

      See: http://www.balzekasmuseum.org/Pages/hope_and_spirit_exhibition.html

      Here's an excerpt from the description:

      "Dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the Soviet deportation of Lithuanians to Siberia, Hope & Spirit, a series of ongoing exhibitions and programs, will be presented by the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture between June 18 and October 22, 2011. From 1940 to 1953, more than 132,000 Lithuanians were deported to remote areas of the USSR including Siberia, the Arctic Circle zone and Central Asia. More than 70 percent of the deportees were women and children. By the end of the deportations, some 30,000 Lithuanians had died as a result of slave work and starvation. Another 50,000 never returned to Lithuania. During this same period, another 200,000 people were thrown into prisons. More than 150,000 were sent to Gulags, the name for USSR concentration camps, situated mostly in Siberia."

      Chris Swider will be presenting his film "Children in Exile" on July 15. I wonder if other Poles will be participating (Wes Adamczyk, et al ?)

      Andy Golebiowski
      Buffalo, N.Y.
      U.S.A.
    • Barbara Milligan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
        Interestingly the plaque in Nowa Wilejka (near Wilno/Vilnius) by the steam engine and two cattle/people wagons which are a memorial to deportees states that 250,000 were deported to Siberia.

        Basia (UK)
[...]

      • Krystyna Szypowska
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
          Thank you for this, Andy.

          The exhibit and programs tell the same story as we are telling through this discussion group and the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum (www.Kresy-Siberia.org )  What I found particularly striking were the children’s drawings !  That children living in the US and Canada, aged 9 to 14, could grasp the horrors of the story so vividly, was a surprise.  They did not experience this, yet they convey the story in a very deeply-felt and believable way.  We’ll have to try a similar Drawing Contest among Polish children (in Poland and in the West).

          Wesley is prominently featured in Chris Swider’s film, so it would be appropriate that he be involved in the film presentation, perhaps with other survivors that tell their stories in the film.  I will contact him and inquire.

          I will also contact the Lithuanian Museum in Chicago, to discuss ways that we can collaborate.

          Kind regards,
          Krystyna

          --
          KRYSTYNA SZYPOWSKA
          Executive Director, Kresy-Siberia Foundation

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
            Basia, is there an image of that memorial online? -- Dan Ford

          • Krystyna Szypowska

              Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:51 PM

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                I took hotos but if I remember rightly I googled Nowa Wilejka and my attempt at it in Lithuanian and got loads of pics.
                Basia (UK)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Krysiu,

                  The memorial and plaque is relatively recent - therefore all people who lived in Lithuania as it now is - including the part my mother lived in were counted as Lithuanians. When the Soviets went into Lithuania/Poland, they made the school kids take their matriculation in Lithuanian and Russian. I have my mother's school card, and some tickets from those times and they are in Lithuanian and Russian. I have the tickets as my mother and grandmother were arrested as they got to my great-grandparents house having travelled from Wilno. My mother worked in the underground as a courier and there was a hunt out for her so they were running to safety - Ho ho!

                  Basia

                  Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:51 PM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2011

                    Hi Krysia,

                    Seems some of the "opened" halls - sale otwarte are not open. I get an error message and a referral to the webmaster Krzysztof Hoffman. Is there a glitch somewhere? I have e-mailed him too as he may not be aware if thee is a fault.

                    all the best,

                    Basia