'In the Soviet Union Without Toilet Paper' Roman Skulski

  • Krystyna Mew
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2011
      Hi Jenny

      I did indeed very much enjoy your father's book.  It was from a slightly different perspective which made it all the more interesting.  For me it also provided more information about what was involved when  joining Ander's Army.  The crowds pushing and shouting to get on the  trains and the fear that they would get left behind and never get out of Russia.

      The other thing that strikes me about all the survivors' stories is the 'luck' that was always needed.  In your father's case it was the fact that the Major who interviewed him about joining Ander's Army, was from Stryj, where your father had been born, and he was able to ascertain that he was a genuine Pole.  So despite the fact that your father and his companions, having escaped from the Soviet army, had no ID papers, it became obvious that they were not Soviet spies, and were accepted as Polish soldiers.

      I highly recommend this book to everyone.

      Good luck with it, Jenny.

      Kind regards

      Krystyna