Help to find Ul Smigowa, Lwow

  • Julie Sheppard
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 11:12 AM
      I have today finally found out the address of where my father's family lived in Lwow prior to WWII.
      It was Ul Smigowa. I have found the street name listed in the street directory, but I have searched and searched unsuccessfully to locate it on the Horbaya 1938 street map of Lwow. I would be grateful, if there are any of you out there who are more familiar with searching this map than I am, to help me find it.
      I have attached the link to the map.

      Thanks and kind regards,
      Julie (Jachimiak) Sheppard

    • Thyme
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3 11:28 AM
        Hi Julie
        try here under letter "J"
        This is from 1902 but worth a try

        Pozdrawiam Krystyna,Toronto

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 12:51 PM

          Hi Julie,

          You may have more luck if you use the spelling Śmigłowo. My mum lived in a little village called Śmigłowo just north of Zaleszczyki.

          Cheers - Barbara

          I have today finally found out the address of where my father's family lived in Lwow prior to WWII.
          It was Ul Smigowa. I have found the street name listed in the street directory, but I have searched and searched unsuccessfully to locate it on the Horbaya 1938 street map of Lwow. I would be grateful, if there are any of you out there who are more familiar with searching this map than I am, to help me find it.
          I have attached the link to the map.

          Thanks and kind regards,
          Julie (Jachimiak) Sheppard

        • Antoni Kazimierski
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4 1:28 AM
            Julie,
            I beliewe ulica   śmigłowa  (pre 1940)is now called Propelerna in Lwowie.
            antoni530
          • Zenon Kuzik
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4 4:13 AM
              Dear Julie,

              On the map, try grid reference 2 D.  You will see LEWANDOWKA printed there (a suburb north-west of the main railway yards and station).  Your street will be found running south of that name, fifth from the left in a series of parallel streets.  It is hard to locate, but it's there!  I hope this helps.

              All the best,

              Zenon Kuzik
              New Zealand

              PS  I bought a copy of that same Horbay map in Poland some years ago.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4 9:46 AM
                Thank you . Yes, I can see it now! The reason I couldn't find it was that I was searching on a different version of the Lwow map - 1931 instead of the 1938 version which I included in my e-mail. In 1931 all the streets in the Lewandowka suburb had different names.
                Thank you very much for your help.
                Kind regards,
                Julie (Jachimiak) Sheppard

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4 9:53 AM
                  Antonio, thanks for this info. Thanks to everyone else who helped also, I found some interesting leads thanks to your suggestions. Yes, the street is indeed Propelerna str today. I have even google earthed it and seen the house from above, assuming the house numbers are the same (which I doubt). Thank you to this wonderful group - yesterday morning I knew nothing of my father and grandparents' address in Lwow, now I have yet more of my identity 'jigsaw' pieced together!
                  Kind regards,
                  Julie (Jachimiak) Sheppard

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4 10:16 AM
                    On 4/4/2011 12:53 PM, Julie Sheppard wrote:
                    > I have even google earthed it and seen the house from above, assuming
                    > the house numbers are the same (which I doubt).
                    That's a scary thought. How can we know if they have changed? I have
                    been assuming they are the same when describing 99 Potocki Street!

                    Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
                  • Antoni Kazimierski
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4 10:46 AM
                      Dan,

                      I think that ul Potockiego is now called ul Czuprynki.
                      I am not sure who general Czuprynka was.
                      antoni530
                    • Zenon Kuzik
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 6 9:01 PM
                        Dear Antoni,

                        You are correct: Potocki Street in Lwow is now called General Chuprynka [Henerala Chuprynky] Street.  "Taras Chuprynka" was the pseudonym of Roman Shukhevych, the head of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA); see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Shukhevych .

                        Zenon Kuzik
                        New Zealand