research in London

  • Dan Ford
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 4:11 AM
      Good morning! I plan to be in London for a week in June to do some
      research on my book about the Polish experience in the Second World War.
      What bases should I touch (to use an American baseball metaphor)?

      What can I accomplish at the Sikorski Institute? I find that letters
      either go unanswered or take a month or more--will I do any better in
      person? I am mostly interested in tracking one person from Lwow to
      eastern Kazakhstan to Persia to Lebanon to Egypt to England. She is
      blessed by having a very unusual name, so if the Sikorski Institute or
      anyone else has files by name, this family will be easy to locate. (It
      was on the Institute's online roster of evacuees to Persia that I found
      her name, and everyone on that roster with the same surname was a member
      of her family.) I find it very strange that an organization with a
      website doesn't do email, but there we have it!

      Gunnersbury Cemetery?

      What else? I have built in a few spare days. I'm sure that Sally Wife
      will figure out ways to fill them (she speaks ominously of Hampton
      Court) but I would prefer to claim the pressure of work!

      Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
    • petermuskus
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 4:59 AM
        Dan,

        I suspect that they are underfunded and overworked. They do answer the phone and so i recommend calling them to arrange which docs you would like to see and when you will arrive. I was in on a quiet Feb afternoon and received a 2 hour personal tour by a volunteer curator, but the archives were closed for the month!

        Good luck
        Peter

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ford <cub06h@...> wrote:

        > Good morning! I plan to be in London for a week in June to do some
        > research on my book about the Polish experience in the Second World War.
        > What bases should I touch (to use an American baseball metaphor)?
        >
        > What can I accomplish at the Sikorski Institute? I find that letters
        > either go unanswered or take a month or more--will I do any better in
        > person? I am mostly interested in tracking one person from Lwow to
        > eastern Kazakhstan to Persia to Lebanon to Egypt to England. She is
        > blessed by having a very unusual name, so if the Sikorski Institute or
        > anyone else has files by name, this family will be easy to locate. (It
        > was on the Institute's online roster of evacuees to Persia that I found
        > her name, and everyone on that roster with the same surname was a member
        > of her family.) I find it very strange that an organization with a
        > website doesn't do email, but there we have it!
        >
        > Gunnersbury Cemetery?
        >
        > What else? I have built in a few spare days. I'm sure that Sally Wife
        > will figure out ways to fill them (she speaks ominously of Hampton
        > Court) but I would prefer to claim the pressure of work!
        >
        > Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      • John Bartoszynski
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3 12:44 PM

          Dan,

          The Polish institute and Sikorski Museum is a registered charity, a visit can be most rewarding. Their archives are extensive and contain some vital information not available elsewhere, my search revealed ten pages of documents, pre-war, military and civilian, addresses in Kresy, military schools, Polish forces in Russia, Middle East, Italy and UK.

          The archives open at 09.00, files can be ordered between 09.00 -12.00, a manual card index system is used and the archivist can provide file reference numbers within a minute or two, any pertinent files will be provided usually within 30 minutes, three files can be viewed at a time. Copying is available B/W and colour, enlargements etc., at modest cost, cameras and laptops can be used with permission, lockers are available for coats and bags. A small donation in an envelope is ALWAYS useful and an excellent service will be provided.

          From time to time, archives can be unresponsive or “funny” but there we have it!

          Good luck with your search

          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10 7:11 AM

            Hi Dan,

            I don’t know if I replied to you with info, but I know that I meant to anyway!!

            So, you might know this already? Forgive if you do!

            Much of the info is the same from Sikorski/Hoover/PRO [Public Records Office, Kew, London]/POSK, if I think of any more, I’ll let you know – oh! ‘Ex-Combatant’s Association’ for ‘after UK arrival] and MOD – they all copied/shared it]

            Sikorski ;

            Tel; +44 0207-5899249, that’s Andrew’s ‘desk to desk’, private, be nice, we’re not supposed to disturb his work really. Closed Tuesday, dinner time 12-2pm, closes @ 4-5pm sometime? Ran by voluntary folk’s, except about 2-3 paid-folk’s. You can also see Sikorski’s desk and Anders desk there + loads of other stuff in the museum. Take digi-camera, he may let you photo the day-books of the  units the soldier was in + other stuff to sort when you get home. Get map location ready for ‘London tube’/parking hopeless/taxi expensive [can’t you tell I’m a ‘regular’?]

            Before that visit did you contact MOD? That will give all Army units the soldier was in, BUT, you have to be ‘next-of-kin’! So, that means the wife/child/relative of the person and fill in a form, do it quick!! [form on the k-s site] cost £30, I think? The place only ran by 2 ladies, Margaret and Barbara, everything will take ages as there’ only 2 of them!

            Address;

            APC Polish Enquiries,

            Building 18B,

            RAF Northolt,

            Westend  Road,

            Ruislip,

            Middlesex,

            England,

            HA4 6NG

            Tel; +44 0208-8338603

            Fax; +44-0208-8338866 [I think?]

            Email, answered occasionally; polishasstd1990ff@... – this doesn’t look quite correct to me? Not tried it as Margaret and I are old friends,[even went to her wedding!] usually ring her

            First you ring/fax, then they look @ their ‘index-cards’ to be sure they have that person + more. The faster they get forms/money, the quicker it will be, but you need this before going to Sikorski really

            PRO [Public Records Office, UK;

            You can look at their site on line, but it won’t show exactly what’s in their records about each person, you have to go look yourself, pay for photo-copies, you’ll find ‘Upon arrival in UK’ stuff. Maybe some stuff that POSK/Sikorski/Ex-Combatant’s Assn too! Google ‘Public Records Office uk’, then Polish Arrivals in uk 1946’ or play around with it?

            POSK;

            Weekday visits only for this; make appointment to see correct person?

            They wrote a newspaper, for the soldiers, who went over the Caspian Sea to freedom/who joined the Polish Army and where exactly, many details you want to know, when armed with other info from MOD and Sikorski. Posh restaurant/bar with ‘pub grub’/café too. You’ll be fed, nice cheap ‘travel Lodge’ hotel over the road, ‘tube station 5 mins away, every kind of food place just over the road – yum, yum!

            When you have MOD info, should give you the ‘circle number’ of the men joining PRC [Polish Resettlement Corps, after arrival in uk, the men joined this, they placed them from a resettlement camp in to a job/place to live, report to local police station for 2 yrs, so we know where you are, not that you’ve done anything wrong, just to track folk’s only.

            Ex-Combatants Assn; = [PRC, which was disbanded 2-5 yrs after 1946, but they still have records [how’s your Polish language?]

            Tel; +44 0208-741911, have no email addy, sorry!

            Well, if I think of more from my ‘little black book’, and 10 yrs of being a ‘cockney’ in the midlands of uk, I’ll let you know.

            But would like to add this;

            I posted this to group, just so folk’s know, there are some of us who share all info with others!! To help and share. That’s what this group is all about!. THAT’S WHY WE PAY OUR SUB’S, not just once to join, but yearly. We all help each other out [translations that would cost a fortune/tips/idea’s/stories that might help us decide what happened to our families – come on you lot, we need to keep our group going until, some grant or other gives us a big hunk of money.  Think about it, if no group = no help for ANYONE! We’re STUCK, where else can we go?????????????

            Linder in UK

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10 7:32 AM
              On 4/10/2011 10:11 AM, Linder Ladbrooke wrote:

              > Sikorski ;
              >
              > Tel; +44 0207-5899249, that’s Andrew’s ‘desk to desk’, private, be
              > nice, we’re not supposed to disturb his work really. Closed Tuesday,
              > dinner time 12-2pm, closes @ 4-5pm sometime? Ran by voluntary folk’s,
              > except about 2-3 paid-folk’s. You can also see Sikorski’s desk and
              > Anders desk there + loads of other stuff in the museum. Take
              > digi-camera, he may let you photo the day-books of the units the
              > soldier was in + other stuff to sort when you get home. Get map
              > location ready for ‘London tube’/parking hopeless/taxi expensive
              > [can’t you tell I’m a ‘regular’?]

              Linder, thank you so much for that information. (I am dealing with a
              family of civilians--no Anders Army people.)

              Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
            • Linder Ladbrooke
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10 8:55 AM
                Hi again,

                Civilans - defiantly POSK
                Btw - where are you in usa? Coming over to usa again in Sept? have I had an
                'adventure' in your area or do I need one?
                Linder

                On 4/10/2011 10:11 AM, Linder Ladbrooke wrote:

                > Sikorski ;
                >
                > Tel; +44 0207-5899249, that’s Andrew’s ‘desk to desk’, private, be
                > nice, we’re not supposed to disturb his work really. Closed Tuesday,
                > dinner time 12-2pm, closes @ 4-5pm sometime? Ran by voluntary folk’s,
                > except about 2-3 paid-folk’s. You can also see Sikorski’s desk and
                > Anders desk there + loads of other stuff in the museum. Take
                > digi-camera, he may let you photo the day-books of the units the
                > soldier was in + other stuff to sort when you get home. Get map
                > location ready for ‘London tube’/parking hopeless/taxi expensive
                > [can’t you tell I’m a ‘regular’?]

                Linder, thank you so much for that information. (I am dealing with a
                family of civilians--no Anders Army people.)

                Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

                ------------------------------------

                Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
                http://www.kresy-siberia.com/contact.html

                Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 10 9:06 AM
                  Linder, thanks for sharing your "little black book" of research sources.

                  Members should also refer to our reference website:
                  http://www.kresy-siberia.org/reference.html

                  As well as scores of research sources, it lists instructions plus the correct e-mails for the Polish Army in Exile Records-British Ministry of Defense:

                  Email: polishdisoff@...  ("POLISH DISclosures OFFice")
                  Email: polishasstdisoff@...  ("POLISH ASSistanT DISclosures OFFice")

                  SYDNEY