Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Kolkhoz in Kazkhstan

  • Barbara Milligan
    Message 1 of 81 , Mar 30, 2011
      Dear Helen,

      If possible could you let send me the bit about the journey to Guzar? My great-grandfather died and is buried there.

      All the best,

                           Basia (UK)
      Message 81 of 81 , Mar 31, 2011
        Antoni,

        I don’t know. The whole family – two parents, two grandparents and eight children were ‘amnestied’ and started the journey to find the army. On the way, we think my aunt Janina was removed from the train, seriously ill. Father, grandparents and three children perished in Russia, mother died in Pahlevi. Janina was lost. The oldest brother joined the army, survived and after the war tried to find the rest of the family, who had been dispersed – one in Africa, one in New Zealand, one in England. Some years later he found Janina in Wroclaw, but she wouldn’t talk. He told my mother, who was too young to remember anything, that he thought Janina had been conscripted into the Russian Army. We don’t know any more. This brother and Janina are still alive but age has taken its toll and neither of them remembers anything.

        I would like to know her story, and so would my mum, but we’re not going to learn it from her. I was hoping to ascertain from this group what might have happened and what would have been unlikely.

        Jadzia

        Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:28 PM
        Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: 1.7 Deported by SSSR - CCCP-NKVD etc. to " Siberia "

        Jadzia,

        May I ask which army your aunt was conscripted into?  You say 'Red Army 'or was it Berling's Army or Belarus Army or Kosciuszko Army? Red Army suggests a genuine Soviet Army, was your aunt in that army? and on which front? it would be interesting to know.

        From the photos of Wystawy Sybirakow by Zwiazek Sybirakow w Krakowie, as posted by Krystyna, it seems that lots of people who returned to Krakow region after repatriation appear to do quite well. Perhaps they were given properties and pensions after their return to Poland in post-war period.
        antoni530