Anyone know any info on NKVD "settelments"

  • Dan Hecht
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      I was always under the impression that my Grandparents were in some sort of forced labor "camp" or forced work of some sort.

      Here is an email i received from www.memo.ru

      "At the first stage of searches it is possible to try to receive data on
      stay of your relatives in Kirgizia. However there were no camps there, most
      likely they lived there in special settlement

      under supervision of NKVD commandant's office. For the data from where they
      arrived, places of their residence and work, date and a place of release you
      need to send your inquiry to the Information Centre of the Ministry of
      Internal Affairs of the Kirghiz Republic. The address is:

      Informatsionniy Center MVD Kirghizskoy Respubliki

      I am in the process of writing them, but does anyone have any information on these special "settelments"

      Thanks!
    • antoni530
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Hecht" <danhargitai@...> wrote:

        > I was always under the impression that my Grandparents were in some sort of forced labor "camp" or forced work of some sort.
        >
        > Here is an email i received from www.memo.ru
        >
        > "At the first stage of searches it is possible to try to receive data on
        > stay of your relatives in Kirgizia. However there were no camps there, most
        > likely they lived there in special settlement
        >
        > under supervision of NKVD commandant's office. For the data from where they
        > arrived, places of their residence and work, date and a place of release you
        > need to send your inquiry to the Information Centre of the Ministry of
        > Internal Affairs of the Kirghiz Republic. The address is:
        >
        > Informatsionniy Center MVD Kirghizskoy Respubliki
        >

        > I am in the process of writing them, but does anyone have any information on these special "settelments"
        >
        > Thanks!

        Dan,
        it is interesting that you received an e-mail from Memorial and how long did you wait for the reply?

        As regards Hecht families in Memorial there are dozens of records and it would be interesting to know what were your parents names and ages.

        The NKVD supervised 'special'places were numerous and mainly in the southern regions of Russia. In one sense all places - including posiolki, lagry and jails etc. - were NKVD supervised and controlled.
        However, some families were extremely lucky in one sense as they were placed in kolkhoz locations or farms or even with large families and had to work as labour for the establishments where they lived. There was no real freedom of movement, but people being people and some 'landlords' being kinder allowed some discrecion when not in the hands of NKVDistow or under some sort of direct observation.
        Generally it was to do with gardening or agriculture. I translated a number of descriptions of this sort of labour.

        When you receive your reply from Kirgizia perhaps you could it with us. What is their address?

        antoni530

      • hthayden@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          Dan. My father began his Siberia experience in a forced labor camp....his
          job was to cut and haul timber in from the frozen forest.
          After a few months, he was ordered sent to another situation.
          This other place was a group of collective state farms. He called it a
          Sovkholz. He said, the Sovkholz was visited on occasion by a high ranking
          NKVD official, who apparently had some responsibility in overseeing the
          operations.

          Helena
        • Dan Hecht
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
            Thanks for the replies,
            I first emailed info@... about 3 weeks ago, I was beginning to give up hope
            that they would ever reply.
            I don't really know how to search Memorial.
            I will post their names

            Rosa Hecht (geb. Bernstein)
            Proskurov (Nikolayev) Russia
            1919

            Li(e)ber Hecht
            Busk, Poland
            1911

            I found a Rosa Hecht on Karta born 1919, but I dont think this is her. Its
            possible but I'm not sure. She was from Proskurov region and from what I
            understand she was picked up by the Soviets as she was fleaing her town and sent
            to Frunze(Bitschika). On Karta is says Bialystok. I doubt she would be that far
            north.

            My Grandfather was on a kolkhoz also near Frunze from 1939-1940
            Then he was transferred and he was working on an Electricity plant, I'm assuming
            a Largy (they refereed to it as a Lager)

            My Grandmother was also sent to the same "Lager" where they met. I just found a
            date on a Canadian gov't document that says they were married June 8th 1945 in
            Kirgisi-Frunze,Russia

            I have a picture taken in the "Lager" it says "Frunze 1944" on the back. I will
            try to post it here.

            I also have many documents (in German, which I can't read) that describes their
            experience during the war, I can email it to anyone who is interested in seeing
            them.

            The address is:
            Informatsionniy Center MVD Kirghizskoy Respubliki
            Kirgizia
            720040 Bishkek,
            Ulitsa Frunze, 469

            you can also email me at: danhargitai..at..gmail.com
          • janusz_ks
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, hthayden@... wrote:
              > This other place was a group of collective state farms.
              > He called it a Sovkholz.
              Sovkhoz actually.
              It's simply the Russian name for a state-owned farm.
            • Antoni Kazimierski
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
                Dan,

                Right away may I say that yours is not our usual search story.
                Your family were in USSR in 1939 ; in reality your forefathers were likely to have been there post the W W 1 and not deported like many of our members. Many Hecht families in Memorial seem to suggest that.
                I would say that anything you find in Karta records is unlikely to refer to your family; perhaps some??
                The region where your father worked had many families settled there, who originally came from Germany or western Poland.
                I am not even sure that 'Lager' term applied to them in its true meaning; althogh there was Podgorlag in Frunze -Gulag MWD, but it was later in 1949 - 53 period and after that to some extent.

                Yes, it is intersting and I would like to receive copies of notes in German to look at. Purely accademic and for any future reference .
                antoni530