Re: Panel discussion in Melbourne Australia - 27th February 2011

  • Alice Faintich
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2011
      When you watch the “Forgotten Odyssey,” for anyone who has read my father's, Stefan Waydenfeld’s, memoir The Ice Road: An Epic Journey from the Stalinist Labor Camps to Freedom, or is interested in reading it, just to mention that he’s one of those interviewed in the movie.

      Alice Faintich
      Nellysford, USA

      From: janusz_ks <kresy@...>
      Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: Streets in Lwow
      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ford <cub06h@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone point me to Potocki Street in 1930s Lwow?
      AFAIK it's now called Generala Chuprynky St (вyл. гeн. Чyпpинки)
      http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.8425,24.037222&spn=0.1,0.1&t=m&q=49.8425,24.037222

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1l.

      Re: Streets in Lwow (erratum)
      Posted by: "janusz_ks" kresy@... janusz_ks
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 am (PST)

      oops, got the link wrong.... Apologies :-((

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "janusz_ks" <kresy@...> wrote:
      > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ford <cub06h@> wrote:
      >
      > > Can anyone point me to Potocki Street in 1930s Lwow?
      > AFAIK it's now called Generala Chuprynky St (вyл. гeн. Чyпpинки)

      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Generala+Chuprynky+street,+L%27viv,+L%27vivs%27ka,+Ukraine&aq=0&sll=49.842521,24.037228&sspn=0.003632,0.006502&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Generala+Chuprynky+St,+L%27viv,+L%27vivs%27ka+oblast,+Ukraine&ll=49.829125,24.006457&spn=0.003633,0.006502&z=17

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1m.

      Re: Streets in Lwow
      Posted by: "Thyme" thymetrax@... thymetrax
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:18 am (PST)

      Hi Dan try this Link;
      http://www.lwow.com.pl/ulice/ulice.html

      pozdrawiam Krystyna,Toronto

      Can anyone point me to Potocki Street in 1930s Lwow?

      http://www.mapywig.org/m/City_plans/LWOW_30K_1932.jpg

      Of course there are a lot of unnamed streets on that map!

      Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1n.

      Re: Kazakhstan, Georgievka
      Posted by: "Dan Ford" cub06h@... godanford
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am (PST)

      On 2/13/2011 12:39 PM, janusz_ks wrote:

      > The 1990-ish map of the region is here:
      > http://download.maps.vlasenko.net/smtm1000/m-44.jpg
      > Semipalatinsk is a town & railway junction more or less in the centre.

      Thanks for that! I'm guessing that the town toward the bottom (but still
      on the road/railroad) labeled something like KAPMA is the town and
      railroad station of Zharma. I've looked southwest of that but can't
      match up with Georgievka, nor can I isolate on the Russian site the name
      you think might be Geo. (My computer doesn't have the alphabet set
      installed that would enable me to read your email.) On the map I see
      KAPAKYUbIaC and another YWOHHK (again, punting here fairly wildly).

      I'll try Google Maps, where names are in Roman letters.... No. it leaves
      me no wiser than before!

      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Zharma,+Kazakhstan+(zharma)&aq=0&sll=48.565362,80.651836&sspn=0.049302,0.110378&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Zharma,+East+Kazakhstan,+Kazakhstan&t=h&z=10

      Stands to reason, though, that Zharma and Geo would be distinct
      communities.

      Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1o.

      Re: Streets in Lwow
      Posted by: "BOB STYRNA" styrna@... b_styrna
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 am (PST)

      Dan it is actualy called " Ulica Andzreja Potockiego " and it is located lower left corner. If u find in big BOLD letters " VI. NOWY SWIAT " in left lower corner. Then your " Ulica Andrzeja Potockiego " is located just up and right of that. Just to the right of the letter "T" of SWIAT is at the start of your ulica. Th street runs north and south ( up and down on the map)

      Zbyszek

      > Can anyone point me to Potocki Street in 1930s Lwow?
      >
      > http://www.mapywig.org/m/City_plans/LWOW_30K_1932.jpg
      >
      > Of course there are a lot of unnamed streets on that map!
      >
      > Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1p.

      Re: Kazakhstan, Georgievka
      Posted by: "janusz_ks" kresy@... janusz_ks
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 am (PST)

      See http://img571.imageshack.us/i/zharma.jpg/
      where Georgievka is marked in top right, and Zharma is bottom left

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1q.

      Re: Streets in Lwow
      Posted by: "Dan Ford" cub06h@... godanford
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 am (PST)

      On 2/13/2011 2:23 PM, BOB STYRNA wrote:

      > Dan it is actualy called " Ulica Andzreja Potockiego " and it is
      > located lower left corner. If u find in big BOLD letters " VI. NOWY
      > SWIAT " in left lower corner. Then your " Ulica Andrzeja Potockiego "
      > is located just up and right of that. Just to the right of the
      > letter "T" of SWIAT is at the start of your ulica. Th street runs
      > north and south ( up and down on the map)

      Yes! I see it!

      Wow. Brings tears to my eyes. She told me that there was a yard with an
      air-raid shelter, and that when they ran to the shelter their dog was
      left tied out, and howled pityously. (However pityous might be spelled!)

      The house was at number 99. Pity's it's so long!

      You guys are amazing. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1r.

      Re: Kazakhstan, Georgievka
      Posted by: "Dan Ford" cub06h@... godanford
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:03 pm (PST)

      On 2/13/2011 2:31 PM, janusz_ks wrote:

      > See http://img571.imageshack.us/i/zharma.jpg/
      > where Georgievka is marked in top right, and Zharma is bottom left

      Ah! I was looking in the wrong direction!

      This stuff just takes my breath away. Really. Tears to my eyes and I can
      hardly breathe. I feel as though I had reached back seventy years to
      when I was nine and she was six. (My situation in 1940 was primitive but
      a lot more survivable, and improving by the month. Poland's agony was
      America's windfall. September 1939 was when we began to get out of the
      Great Depression, thanks to orders from France and Britain. Cash and
      carry! was the rule, at least till 1942.)

      Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1s.

      Re: Kazakhstan, Georgievka
      Posted by: "BOB STYRNA" styrna@... b_styrna
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 pm (PST)

      Your Karma is spelled in Russian as " ����� � "�� . � Translated to English it would be " Zharma ", or " Sarma", etc..

      As far as Georgievka, it would be something like:
      upper case only :��� ����������
      lower case:������������� ����������

      Try looking all over this more detailed 1:100,000 scale map.�� Zharam is in the lower right hand corner along the railroad track:

      http://download.maps.vlasenko.net/smtm200/m-44-27.jpg

      the map just south of this one is:

      http://download.maps.vlasenko.net/smtm200/m-44-33.jpg

      Good luck Amigo
      Zbigniew

      > > Semipalatinsk is a town & railway junction more or less in the
      > centre.>
      > Thanks for that! I'm guessing that the town toward the bottom
      > (but still
      > on the road/railroad) labeled something like KAPMA is the town
      > and
      > railroad station of Zharma. I've looked southwest of that but
      > can't
      > match up with Georgievka, nor can I isolate on the Russian site
      > the name
      > you think might be Geo. (My computer doesn't have the alphabet
      > set
      > installed that would enable me to read your email.) On the map I
      > see
      > KAPAKYUbIaC and another YWOHHK (again, punting here fairly wildly).
      >
      > I'll try Google Maps, where names are in Roman letters.... No.
      > it leaves
      > me no wiser than before!
      >
      > http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Zharma,+Kazakhstan+(zharma)&aq=0&sll=48.565362,80.651836&sspn=0.049302,0.110378&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Zharma,+East+Kazakhstan,+Kazakhstan&t=h&z=10
      >
      > Stands to reason, though, that Zharma and Geo would be distinct
      > communities.
      >
      > Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1t.

      Re: Kazakhstan, Georgievka
      Posted by: "BOB STYRNA" styrna@... b_styrna
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm (PST)

      Janusz, great eyes to find that.

      Here is a close up map of Georgievka. It is very top in the middle.

      http://download.maps.vlasenko.net/smtm200/m-44-28.jpg

      Zbigniew

      > where Georgievka is marked in top right, and Zharma is bottom left

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      1u.

      Re: Streets in Lwow
      Posted by: "JennyS" seasidejenny@... seasidejenny
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:33 pm (PST)

      Hi Dan, Here's a postcard of Ulica Potockiego: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ukraine-Poland-Przemysl-Ulica-Potockiego-old-pc-/250595651176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58aa2e68

      Cheers,
      Jenny Skulski
      Vancouver, BC

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ford <cub06h@...> wrote:

      > On 2/13/2011 2:23 PM, BOB STYRNA wrote:
      > >
      > > Dan it is actualy called " Ulica Andzreja Potockiego " and it is
      > > located lower left corner. If u find in big BOLD letters " VI. NOWY
      > > SWIAT " in left lower corner. Then your " Ulica Andrzeja Potockiego "
      > > is located just up and right of that. Just to the right of the
      > > letter "T" of SWIAT is at the start of your ulica. Th street runs
      > > north and south ( up and down on the map)
      > >
      > Yes! I see it!
      >
      > Wow. Brings tears to my eyes. She told me that there was a yard with an
      > air-raid shelter, and that when they ran to the shelter their dog was
      > left tied out, and howled pityously. (However pityous might be spelled!)
      >
      > The house was at number 99. Pity's it's so long!
      >
      > You guys are amazing. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (21)

      2.

      Sybirak makes t in Australia
      Posted by: "Stefan" stefan.wisniowski@... skwisniowski
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:05 pm (PST)

      Here are a couple of stories about group member Anna Bonshek and the book she wrote about her father Henry.

      http://www.goldcoast.com.au//article/2010/04/24/210725_news.html

      http://www.zrobtosam.com/PulsPol/Puls3/index.php?sekcja=15&arty_id=8236

      Henry was a young boy who was deported from Wolkowysk in 1940 by the Soviets to Kazakhstan. He was later evacuated with the orphans to India and went on to a successfull engfineering career in England, the USA and finally Australia, where Anna is now based.

      Anna's book, "Heniek : A Polish Boy's Coming of Age in India During World War II" is available at
      http://www.pranaworldgroup.com/prana_world_publishing

      On the subject of Poles in India, here are a couple of other recent links of interest from the Indian press:

      http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?268578

      http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?268579

      SYDNEY

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (1)

      3.

      Panel discussion in Melbourne Australia - 27th February 2011
      Posted by: "Stefan" stefan.wisniowski@... skwisniowski
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 pm (PST)

      Kresy-Siberia (Australia) and the Australian Society of Polish Jews & Their Descendants invite you to a panel discussion on The Forgotten Deportees - Polish Exiles in Siberia.

      Jewish Holocaust Centre, 13/15 Selwyn St. Elsternwick, Sunday 27th February 2011, at 7,30 pm. Cost $20.

      Booking Lena Fiszman 0413 351 852 , Bernard Korbman 0418 194 802.

      Moderator: Prof. S.G.Wheatcroft. The panel: Krystyna Kinst, Stefan Wisniowski, Zosia Skarbek. Special Guest: Daniel Gromann, Consul General of the Republic of Poland who will speak on "Polish History Today".

      Film screening "A Forgotten Odyssey" by Jagna Wright & Aneta Naszynska.

      SYDNEY

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (1)

      4a.

      First Post
      Posted by: "susquamishgirl" deeaxelrod@... susquamishgirl
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 pm (PST)

      Greetings, all.
      My name is Dee Axelrod, and I live on an indian reservation in the state of Washington in the Pacific Northwest of the US.
      I come to your group because my life crossed paths with Leokadia Dybczek.
      She was my French teacher in 7th grade, when I spent a year attending a fancy private school on the Boston's North Shore (MA, USA). To make a long story short, the kids there, who were from these fine Boston Mayflower families - Cabot, Saltonstall, Lowell and Winthrop, etc etc - made her life a real living hell at that school. I'm writing about her life, with the school incidents as the way into the story. I've interviewed her family members - and they approve my writing about it - but they can't tell me very much. She was living in Ozmiana; her husband was a postmaster, and she'd just had a baby when the Soviets deported them - he to Siberia, she to Kazakhstan. She worked on a collective farm. They reunited and left with Gen. Anders. There are blanks I'll never really be able to fill in, but I need to get a feeling for what life was like for her in the collective. If anyone has information about daily conditions for Polish women, or can point me to a good source, it would be *very* helpful.

      And: Does anyone know for sure if Stalin ever practiced tattooing the forearm like Hitler did? Because my memory has her arm bearing a number tattoo, but her family swears up down and sideways that she never did. So that's something of a mystery.

      So. I am very glad to have found this site.
      There's more to my story, but that feels about right for a first go-round.
      best,
      DeeAx

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (2)

      4b.

      Re: First Post
      Posted by: "Jess" znowicki@... znowicki
      Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm (PST)

      Hello Dee.

      Welcome to the group. It just so happens that I’m in the process of decyphering the 1909 Oszmiana Roman Catholic parish register. There are 385 pages of names all written in Russian handwriting so it’s a bit of a slog. I’ll keep an eye out for the name Dybczek and all variations of it and let you know as soon as I come across them. My mother was from Swiety Duch (pronounced SHVIENTY DOOKH) and she was deported in June 1941 to a place called Borovlyanka in Altai Krai. The closest large town was Barnaul but there was a closer town called Tchemurovka where she had to collect sugar beets to gain a place on the train to freedom via Persia (now Iran) then India and finally England in 1948.

      There are many stories in the group email archives and also on the KS site, take the time to trawl through them all, they make very interesting and heart breaking reading.

      Warm regards,

      Zdzis
      Runaway Bay
      Queensland
      Australia.

[...]

      Recent Activity

      6
      New Members

      Visit Your Group

      Sell Online
      Start selling with
      our award-winning
      e-commerce tools.

      Yahoo! News
      Get it all here
      Breaking news to
      entertainment news

      Yahoo! Finance
      It's Now Personal
      Guides, news,
      advice & more.

      Need to Reply?

      Messages | Photos | Calendar
      Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

      MARKETPLACE

      Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

      Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.