Poland confronts ‘deathcamp.pl’ dilemma

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
      Poland confronts ‘deathcamp.pl’ dilemma

      02.02.2011 11:50
      Poland’s Minister of Culture, Bogdan Zdrojewski, has made a plea to museums on the sites of former Nazi concentration camps to drop the ‘.pl’ from their internet portal addresses.

      The minister has suggested changing the suffix to ‘.eu’, so as to avoid perpetuating the misleading notion that the killing grounds were run by Poles.

      The initiative builds on the long-running campaign to prevent references to “Polish death camps” in the international press.

      Polish campaigners argue that clumsy editing spreads disinformation regarding who created the camp system.

      Poles postulate that the references should always be to Nazi-occupied Poland. Over 200,000 people, including Chief Rabbi of Poland Michael Schudrich, have signed an internet petition to this effect

      http://www.thenews.pl/international/artykul148545_poland-confronts-deathcamppl-dilemma.html

    • Dan Ford
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
        On 2/2/2011 2:48 PM, Danuta Janina Wójcik wrote:

        > Poland’s Minister of Culture, Bogdan Zdrojewski, has made a plea to
        > museums on the sites of former Nazi concentration camps to drop the
        > ‘.pl’ from their internet portal addresses.

        I don't know how many letters to the editor I have written over the
        years, pointing out that there were no Polish Death Camps, and indeed
        there really weren't any Nazi Death Camps. They were German Death Camps.

        Even if you make the argument that it was the SS that ran the camps, and
        that the SS were a function of the Nazi government rather than the
        Wehrmacht, it is still an obnoxious mistruth to speak (as is so often
        done) of Nazi-Occupied Europe. It's as if the perps of WW2 came from the
        extra-solar Planet Nazi in 1939 and returned there in 1945.

        Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
      • janusz_ks
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ford <cub06h@...> wrote:
          > it is still an obnoxious mistruth to speak (as is so often
          > done) of Nazi-Occupied Europe.

          So some 180,000 signatories of this petitions
          http://www.thekf.org/events/news/petition/
          got it very wrong by demanding
          --- quotation follows ----
          that The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Associated Press, and TIME magazine include entries in their stylebooks requiring news stories to be historically accurate, using the official name of all "German concentration camps in Nazi-occupied Poland,"
        • Dan Ford
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
            On 2/2/2011 4:10 PM, janusz_ks wrote:
            > all "German concentration camps in Nazi-occupied Poland,"
            Gotta love it!

            Better they should have specified "Nazi concentration camps in
            German-occupied Poland."

            I realize that I am in the minority here. Even Churchill preferred to
            say "Nar-zee" instead of "German." But of course he knew that Britain
            would have to live with Germany long after the Nar-zees returned to
            their alien planet.

            But I won't stop arguing the point.

            Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
          • RICHARD KASPRZAK
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
              My preference is german concentration camp on german occupied Polish territory.