Re: [Kresy-Siberia] wilejka station 1939

  • Barbara Milligan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
      No, but I do have from 1941, and I have photos taken 4 years ago. Any good?

      Basia (UK)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
        yes that would be a great help thanks steff

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
          thanks for the info

          janz@... writes:

          Theres a detailed WWII map of Wilejka on sale right now on eBay if your
          interested. A few others too.

          _http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/map-Poland-30-41-Nowa-Wilejka-WIG-Edynburg-/190485668
          302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59d4a1ce_
          (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/map-Poland-30-41-Nowa-Wilejka-WIG-Edynburg-/190485668302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&has
          h=item2c59d4a1ce)

          Janusz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
            Part of my family were deported to Barnaul in Altajski Kraj in mid June 1941. They had lived in Nowa Wilejka but had moved to Wilno when my grandfather was arrested and held in Lukiszko prison. When they were told he would be shot the next day they went to my greatgrandparents. They were arrested and put on a train in Olita (Alytus). The train went on side rails through Wilno at dead of night and on to Wilejka station. The station is not large, but it is a big junction. There the train stood for 2-3 daysin sidings. The carriages were opened and healthy young men were removed and packed into a waiting train (also made up of cattle wagons). My Mum says the agony of the split families was heartbreaking. ( You can imagine the weeping, the screaming, the hugging, the knowledge that they would probably never see one another again). The people of Nowa Wilejka gave bread and Polish books by throwing them into the wagons through the bars. They stood largely mute with horror as they saw their friends, neighbours and family straining through the bars. The journey took around 3 weeks and they were given salt herrings to eat but no water except at brief stops when the doors were opened and guarded by armed guards. The dead were taken out and thrown to the side. Families tried to hide their dead by telling the guards that the deceased was asleep. People were allowed to get out to relieve themselves but that was a dangerous thing to do as the trains would move off without much warning so the more discreet were left behind - again to the agony of their family.
            There is now an engine with the soviet star and one or two cattle cars attached by the school my Mum went to in Nowa Wilejka. The rail tracks were, to mother's memory much as they had been. She stood a long time by them. A notice by the short train says it is in memory of the 250,000 people deported from the area at that time.

            I will try and find some photos from Wilejka and will scan and send them but please be patient as much is in packing cases as I moved in summer 2010. I also have some film footage.

            Do you have any specific questions? It might be easier to address specific points. My Mum's memory is very sharp of those times.

            I have bid for the map of Wilejka and if I am successful I will send you a scan - or copy if that is OK. I have drawn a line showing their route from Nowa Wilejka on every atlas in the house, with notes, so that my sons and their kids know. Would you like a scan or do you know the route?

            Is this what you wanted?

            all the best,

            Basia (UK)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                Hello Georgia and Stefan,

                I have ploughrd through 20 box files of photos and found some of Wilejka station rail tracks, the engine and cattle wagons and a photo of today's Nowa Wilejka plan. I will scan them and send them to you personally as we cannot append to these e-mails. I hope the one of the inside of the truck scans OK. It is rather dark as the only way I could take it was from the outside through the bars.

                all the best,

                Basia (UK)

                  __bwbm5@..._ (mailto:_bwbm5@...) _