Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum Update

  • Barbara Charuba
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi All,

      My report on my week in Warsaw at the beginning of November is a little late, but better late than never!

      On November the 8th, I had the great privilege of witnessing another landmark of the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum as it opened two new galleries (Polish version): The Eastern Borderlands of the 2nd Republic, and The German and Soviet Invasion.

      The opening of these galleries was part of a presentation of the Kresy-Siberia Foundation to its partners of what it has accomplished over the last year and some activities that are going on now. The evening began with the laying of flowers at the memorial plaque of Maciej Płażyński <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maciej_P%C5%82a%C5%BCy%C5%84ski> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maciej_P%C5%82a%C5%BCy%C5%84ski, a victim of the Smolensk Tragedy. The evening continued with a few introductory words from our president, Stefan Wisniowski and some distinguished guests such as Senator Andrzej Person.

      Then the presentation of the two new galleries took place, with Krzysztof Hoffman at the computer. First the The Eastern Borderlands of the 2nd Republic Gallery was presented. This gallery, whose custodian is Wojciech Gassowski, contains a lot of interesting information on the Eastern Borderlands between the World Wars. Then Dr. Andrzej Krzysztof Kunert the custodian of the , custodian of The German and Soviet Invasion, introduced his gallery. I should note that for now, only the Polish versions of the new galleries are open. The evening concluded with a few words about two new galleries which are in the works: Polish Refugees in India and Polish Refugees in Africa. There was a little reception after the presentation that provided a wonderful opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people.

      After the event, a number of members of the Kresy-Siberia Foundation went to dinner with Mr. Jacek Moskwa, a well known Polish journalist, and his wife at the Browarmia Krolewska restaurant where we talked into the wee hours of the night about the our dreams for the KSVM. The brainstorming seemed to have produced a lot of useful ideas.

      Over my stay in Warsaw (Nov. 5 – 12), I had the pleasure of attending some concerts with Stefan and Aneta, and meeting many interesting people, most important of which were the staff at the Kresy-Siberia Foundation Office in Warsaw, and to start discussions on the INDIA Gallery. The week was a learning and growing experience, and as things always are with our K-S group, a home-coming.

      Here is link to the photos I took on the trip http://www.flickr.com/photos/15456782@N07/sets/72157625383944154/.

      Stefan, maybe you could provide us with some photos to fill the blank spots in my collection?

      Barbara Charuba

      Barrie ON Canada

    • kms0902@mts.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2010
        Just a slight correction to what Basia has written here (thank you for the update Basia !) .... "The Eastern Borderlands of the II Republic" Gallery IS available in English. If you end up on the Polish version, just click on the British flag and it will get you to the English version !

        Krystyna

        --
        KRYSTYNA SZYPOWSKA
        Executive Director, Kresy-Siberia Foundation

        My report on my week in Warsaw at the beginning of November is a little late, but better late than never!

        On November the 8th, I had the great privilege of witnessing another landmark of the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum as it opened two new galleries (Polish version): The Eastern Borderlands of the 2nd Republic, and The German and Soviet Invasion.

      • janusz_ks
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2010
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Charuba" <charubab@...> wrote:

          > On November the 8th, I had the great privilege of witnessing
          > another landmark of the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum as it opened
          > two new galleries (Polish version): The Eastern Borderlands of the
          > 2nd Republic, and The German and Soviet Invasion.
          Three, actually. The one Barbara forgot to mention is
          "Białorusini w polskich regularnych formacjach wojskowych 1918-1945"
          (Belorussians in Polish regular army 1918-1945)
          It is language-independent, as there is not a word of explanation accompanying the exibits.
        • Stefan Wisniowski (Kresy-Siberia)
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2010
            Dear Janusz,

            The Belarus soldiers exhibit that you mention � �Bia�orusini w polskich
            regularnych formacjach wojskowych 1918-1945� - is not actually one of our
            25 official history Galleries, but is a �special exhibition� � hence the
            confusion you may have experienced.

            We now have 2 Special Exhibitions � the first being Wesley Adamczyk�s �
            <http://ksvm.net/specials/special-exhibitions/identity/> IDENTITY and
            CULTURE. Autograph Books and Diaries of Polish Children in Exile 1940-1950�
            plus more are in the pipeline.

            <http://ksvm.net/specials/wystawy-czasowe/?lang=en>
            http://ksvm.net/specials/wystawy-czasowe/?lang=en

            Kind regards

            Stefan Wisniowski

            > On November the 8th, I had the great privilege of witnessing
            > another landmark of the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum as it opened
            > two new galleries (Polish version): The Eastern Borderlands of the
            > 2nd Republic, and The German and Soviet Invasion.
            Three, actually. The one Barbara forgot to mention is
            "Bia��orusini w polskich regularnych formacjach wojskowych 1918-1945"
            (Belorussians in Polish regular army 1918-1945)
            It is language-independent, as there is not a word of explanation
            accompanying the exibits.

          • Barbara Milligan
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2010
              Hi Stefan,

              Sadly it says it is no longer available. Basia (UK)

              > On November the 8th, I had the great privilege of witnessing
              > another landmark of the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum as it opened
              > two new galleries (Polish version): The Eastern Borderlands of the
              > 2nd Republic, and The German and Soviet Invasion.
              Three, actually. The one Barbara forgot to mention is
              "BiaÅ,orusini w polskich regularnych formacjach wojskowych 1918-1945"
              (Belorussians in Polish regular army 1918-1945)
              It is language-independent, as there is not a word of explanation
              accompanying the exibits.

              ------------------------------------

              Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
              http://www.kresy-siberia.com/contact.html

              Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

              ****************************************************************************Yahoo!
              Groups Links
            • Elizabeth Olsson
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                But how do you get into the two Galleries that are open???

                pozdrowienia
                Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                Alingsås, Sweden
                Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.

                _____

                Here is link to the photos I took on the trip http://www.flickr.com/photos/15456782@N07/sets/72157625383944154/. <http://www.flickr.com/photos/15456782@N07/sets/72157625383944154/>

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                  Elzunia,

                  Go to www.Kresy-Siberia.org , click on the British flag to get the English version, then click on the panel that says "Museum Galleries" (you may need to click on the British flag again - we are experiencing a problem with language versions at present) - on the Museum Galleries page, the first two boxes show that these Galleries are opened - click on either one to enter. Under Borderlands Galleries, only the second one (inter-war borderlands) is currently opened.

                  Once in the Gallery, you can skip the intro film (if your browser is slow) and go directly into the exhibits and historical text areas.

                  By the way, if you are using Internet Explorer, you may want to click on the "Compatibility view" icon at the top of your browser page, and this will correct any missing information your browser may not be showing you. You may also need to click on the Refresh button or clear your browser cache, if you still have problems.

                  Hope this helps,
                  Krystyna

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                    When I click on either of these  "Opened"...it shows no such page exists.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                      Yes, Hania - I got that too, until I cleared the Browser cache.

                      Krysia

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, <kms0902@...> wrote:
                        > By the way, if you are using Internet Explorer, you may want to click
                        > on the "Compatibility view" icon at the top of your browser page,
                        > and this will correct any missing information your browser may not
                        > be showing you. You may also need to click on the Refresh button
                        > or clear your browser cache, if you still have problems.

                        I do hope that one day all these hints will become redundant. After all, KSVM is supposed to be a museum, not a site testing one's knowledge of obscure browser tricks.
                      • b hanks
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                          Hello Krystyna

                          Have just tried what you advise below and on each occasion the message I get is "We are sorry, there is no such page here....."

                          Regards

                          Beata Hanks
                          Melton Mowbray UK

                              Krystyna.Szypowska@... <mailto:Krystyna.Szypowska%40Kresy-Siberia.org>