Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Looking for Polish WWII bibliography(ies)

  • Stefan Jackowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      Hi Andy,

      For the committed, (or those that expect to be), ... ; ) , I've usually
      recommended this pretty comprehensive

      biblio;
      http://www.electronicmuseum.ca/Poland-WW2/soviet_deportations/soviet_deportations_bibliography.html

      Though some might find the fervent stance of the web site itself a bit
      unsettling, but there's no denying the astonishing

      dedication involved in putting so much info on-line.

      Hope it's what you're looking for.

      Stefan Jackowski
      Toronto

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi Andy,

        If I remember correctly, here are some books with good bibliographies of sources of information about what Poles suffered during WW II umder the regimes of Stalin and Hitler:--

        "The Polish Deportees of World War II: Recollections of Removal to the Soviet Union and Dispersal Throughout the World," by Tadeusz Piotrowski (Editor) [Hardcover:$45.00; 296 pages] is to be released by the publisher, McFarland & Company, in the spring of 2004.

        "RISING '44: The Battle for Warsaw" (Viking) by Norman Davies (2004), and other books by the historianDavies

        "World War II Behind Closed Doors : Stalin, The Nazis and the West" (Random House)
        by Laurence Rees (a BBC History producer as well as a historian)

        "GULAG, A history" by
        Anne Applebaum (ISBN 0-140-28310-2).

        SVP, Andy, let us know when the Katyn Exhibit will be in Buffalo, N.Y. and how it goes.

        Keep up the good work!

        Joan Eddis-Topolski

        Ottawa, Canada

        ----- www.withoutvodka.com

      • wroblew705
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
          Hello Andy try this online bibliography at:

          http://www.electronicmuseum.ca/Poland-WW2/soviet_deportations/soviet_deportations_bibliography.html

          It's quite extensive.
          Chris........

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Andy Golebiowski <andywbuffalo@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > In preparation for hosting the Katyn Forest Massacre exhibit put together by the "Rada Pamieci..." in our Central Library in Buffalo, I've offered to provide the library with a list of books they can pull from their collection for a special display adjacent to the exhibit. (I'd also like to talk them into buying some books they may not have in their collection.)
          > I've copied the bibliography from "Kresy-Siberia" and am looking for more. Perhaps one of you has put together a similar list of books.
          > I'm looking for books on both occupations, the Nazi as well as the Soviet.
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Andy GolebiowskiBuffalo, N.Y.U.S.A.

        • Barbara Scrivens
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
            Hi Chris,

            I was interested in this addendum to the list: I keep remembering the quote
            from Winston Churchill in the late 1940s - 'History will be kind to me
            because I intend to write it.'

            In the postwar Poland, enslaved by the communist thugs, artistic and
            intellectual creativity became regulated by their ideological needs,
            standards, and vagaries.
            The output was shockingly 'impressive' - not necessarily because of any
            regime's particular attractiveness or because of an overwhelming, deadly
            terror (which, in fact, was overwhelming and deadly). It was a reflection of
            the fact that among Polish intellectuals of that era there was no shortage
            of plain, spineless volunteer scoundrels, rushing to the new masters with an
            offer of their talents (quite often imagined) and services.
            Literature and film in the field of artistic expression, and historiography
            in the field of humanities were, where this phenomenon was most prevalent,
            most visible, and most hideous. It involved the whole spectrum of 'artists'
            - from now forgotten scribblers to now revered Nobel- and other politically
            motivated prize winners.
            'Titans', like Milosz (People's Poland cultural attache in the West, and a
            spineless floater), Szymborska (Stalin's vocal admirer, who never even
            bothered to say "sorry" for her 'poetic' past), Wajda (... I was young, I
            wanted to work ... - as he justified his collaboration with the communist
            regime at the time, when others of his age were being tortured and murdered
            by the very same regime), and other characters.
            Obviously, publications dealing with historical events, such as the Soviet
            deportations of Polish nationals during World War II, were also bent to the
            guidelines of the communist ideology and today, as the not so distant past
            seems to slowly lose some of its murderous edges and witnesses disappear,
            they have to be approached with particular caution.
            Sadly enough, however, in the bibliography of this particular subject the
            laurels for the Most Hideous Manipulation of the Truth belong to a
            publication from abroad - Witold Majewski's (ps.) POLISH CHILDREN SUFFER,
            published in Great Britain in 1944 under the auspices of Helena Sikorska,
            Gen. Wladyslaw Sikorski's widow.
            On thirty three pages, the author describes the martyrdom of Polish children
            during the Second World War, and illustrates their suffering with moving or,
            quite often, gruesome photographs.
            What is wrong with this publication then?
            ....to be continued...

            And frustrated at the 'to be continued'. Do you know whether it has been
            continued and where?

            Many thanks -

            Barbara Scrivens,

            Auckland

            New Zealand

            Hello Andy try this online bibliography at:

            http://www.electronicmuseum.ca/Poland-WW2/soviet_deportations/soviet_deporta
            tions_bibliography.html

            It's quite extensive.
            Chris........

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com> , Andy Golebiowski
            <andywbuffalo@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > In preparation for hosting the Katyn Forest Massacre exhibit put together
            by the "Rada Pamieci..." in our Central Library in Buffalo, I've offered to
            provide the library with a list of books they can pull from their collection
            for a special display adjacent to the exhibit. (I'd also like to talk them
            into buying some books they may not have in their collection.)
            > I've copied the bibliography from "Kresy-Siberia" and am looking for more.
            Perhaps one of you has put together a similar list of books.
            > I'm looking for books on both occupations, the Nazi as well as the Soviet.
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Andy GolebiowskiBuffalo, N.Y.U.S.A.

            18:34:00