burial

  • ANN SIBURUTH
    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 2, 2010
      Hello Everybody, I am a new member of the group, and would like to introduce
      myself, and also try to help if I can.  My father was born in Eastern Poland,
      and our family name is Wojturski.  He was arrested with his oldest brother
      Julek, and their mother on Saturday 10th February 1940 in the village of
      Oryzkowce and transported to Siberia.  For some strange reason the middle
      brother Juzek wasn't arrested, but there was a much worse fate for him and his
      family.  They were first sent to a place called Juzny-Leso-Punkt, and then later
      to another place in Altajski Kraj.  However I do not know the camp. If anyone
      can help me with this I would be most pleased.

      I have a copy of his Air Force record, and he joined somewhere in U.S.S.R.  His
      brother Julek joined "Anders Army" and was sent to Palestine, and fought at
      Monte Cassino.  My grandmother is buried in Dulhab cemetery in Teheran, where
      she died of Typhus.  I know that they were in Samarkand in September 1941, and
      were sent to work on the collective farms.  The conditions were most terrible
      with the cold, snow and having to sleep out in the open.

      I would love to know what ships my dad travelled on - across the Caspian Sea
      to Persia, then onto Bombay in India, and then to Capetown South Africa.  He
      came to England in 1942, but I cannot find the name of the ship he came on.  Any
      help would be greatly appreciated.

      I have received an e-mail from a lady who is trying to find her grandmother's
      grave in Khazakistan - The Sikorski Institute and Museum in London has helped me
      a lot in finding out more about my Dad.  Their address is:  20 Princes Gate,
      London SW7 1PT.  I also received much help from Poland regarding my
      grandmother's burial in Teheran.  Rada Ochrony Pamieci Walk I Meczenstwa, 00-926
      Warszawa, Ul. Wspolna 2, Poland.  They are the people who help trace graves of
      the Polish people who died coming out of Siberia.  Maybe they could help.  I
      also contacted the International Red Cross in Geneva, but they had no records of
      my family.

      I also have another website address of all Polish people deported to Siberia -
      KARTA Centre (Osrodek KARTA), UL.nARBUTTA 29, 02-536, Warszawa.  E-mail
      ok@....

      I hope this information is useful.  My last question is does anyone know how to
      obtain copies of the exit visas the Polish people needed to leave U.S.S.R.   I
      would very much like to have a copy of my Dad's.

      Ann Siburuth (nee Wojturska)

      Ann
    • ANN SIBURUTH
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 15, 2010
        I have just got my copy of the Who Do You Think You Are Family History
        Magazine.  Inside there is an offer of tickets for the exhibition in February at
        London Olympia.  We are planning to visit.  The offer is for two tickets for the
        cost of £25.  Just visit their website www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.co.uk and
        enter the code you find in the magazine.

        Maybe you people already know about this offer, but just in case I thought I
        would post this to the group.

        Ann