New member: introduction

  • karolinkamichalczyszyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2010
      Hello everyone,
      I have joined this group because my family was one of the many deported from Poland to Siberia.
      My family lived in Kolonia Senkow Kuropatniki (Tarnopol province) and were deported on Feb 10 1940 to a 'settlement' in Krasnoyarsk, I don't know where the exact location is, but it was a place called Zimovaya Teya, on the Teya River. (and I don't think I spelled the name of this correctly!)
      My family left on rafts when there was the amnesty, and my father and his brothers made it to Pahlevi.
      When I found out about my family's deportation I realised that this is what i needed to write my next book on (just to let you know - I am a novelist not a historian, so I am trying to write novel based on the historical experiences of my family)
      I have been feverishly researching - particularly over the past few months. I would definately like to share what I have found and look forward to hearing other people's stories. In particular, I have found some documents from the Hoover Institution most recently which have been very useful, and I am now beginning to look at passenger lists and so forth.
      I look forward to being a part of this group very much.
      Caroline (Karolinka)
    • romlipin@cox.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2010
        Hello Karolinka,
        Welcome to the group. Could you give us some more info about your relatives? I know that this is sometimes difficult. I am sure that you will find a lot of information from members of this group that will be helpful in your work.
        Regards
        Romuald
        ---- karolinkamichalczyszyn <hamc@...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        > I have joined this group because my family was one of the many deported from Poland to Siberia.
        > My family lived in Kolonia Senkow Kuropatniki (Tarnopol province) and were deported on Feb 10 1940 to a 'settlement' in Krasnoyarsk, I don't know where the exact location is, but it was a place called Zimovaya Teya, on the Teya River. (and I don't think I spelled the name of this correctly!)
        > My family left on rafts when there was the amnesty, and my father and his brothers made it to Pahlevi.
        > When I found out about my family's deportation I realised that this is what i needed to write my next book on (just to let you know - I am a novelist not a historian, so I am trying to write novel based on the historical experiences of my family)
        > I have been feverishly researching - particularly over the past few months. I would definately like to share what I have found and look forward to hearing other people's stories. In particular, I have found some documents from the Hoover Institution most recently which have been very useful, and I am now beginning to look at passenger lists and so forth.
        > I look forward to being a part of this group very much.
        > Caroline (Karolinka)

      • karolinkamichalczyszyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
          Hello Romauld,
          the information I have is rather sketchy - but I will do my best! My family were farmers in Kolonia Senkow (near Brezezany) and my grandfather was one of the post WWI army settlers. My father, Jan Michalczyszyn, was born in 1925 and was one of 9 children. My uncle Stanislaw is still alive and lives in New York State. As far as I can gather, on Feb 10, 1940, the NKVD broke through the door in the middle of the night, gave the family 30 minutes to pack, and then transported the family to the rairoad station. They were then taken in cattle wagons: Tarnopol to Volochysk, then to Vinnitsya, Kiev, Moscow, Nizhny Novogrod, Kazan, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk. i think at this stage they wend on sleighs over the frozen Yenisey River: Podkamennaya Tunguska, following a tributary of the Yenisey, called the Velmo, until they reached the Teya river. At the point where these two rivers intersect is a place called Zimovaya Teya, which is where their settlement was. There was not nearly enough food. My uncle climbed the trees, knocked down pine cones, and roasted them so that they would pop open and he could extract the seeds inside for food.

          When the amnesty was called, my grandmother said 'we will not survive another winter here'. Luckily, none of them had died. So the entire family left with their belongings on rafts and made their way to Kazakhstan. Here, some of the family stayed, but my father and 2 brothers took a transport ship to Pahlevi. I don't know the name of the transport ship they went on. While my father and his brothers were travelling, my grandmother contracted typhus in Kazakhstan and died, they didn't find out until years later that she had passed away.

          From here it gets a little sketchy, I know that they joined the armed forces, that Uncle Mikolaj fought at Monte Cassino, and that my father and Uncle Stanislaw ended up in England. Some of the family resettled in Poland, we settled in the UK and Uncle Stanislaw in America.

          I guess what I am trying to do is to collect as much information about my family, but also i am trying to find out as much as I can of the collective experience. One great resource is a book that i have found by Tadeusz Piotrowski, called 'the Polish deportees of Worls War II. I also managed to locate an interwar map that shows Kolonia Senkow. My father passed away when I was 6 years old, I guess this is a sort of 'in memoriam' for him.

          Karolinka

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, <romlipin@...> wrote:

          > Hello Karolinka,
          > Welcome to the group. Could you give us some more info about your relatives? I know that this is sometimes difficult. I am sure that you will find a lot of information from members of this group that will be helpful in your work.
          > Regards
          > Romuald
          > ---- karolinkamichalczyszyn <hamc@...> wrote:
          > > Hello everyone,
          > > I have joined this group because my family was one of the many deported from Poland to Siberia.
          > > My family lived in Kolonia Senkow Kuropatniki (Tarnopol province) and were deported on Feb 10 1940 to a 'settlement' in Krasnoyarsk, I don't know where the exact location is, but it was a place called Zimovaya Teya, on the Teya River. (and I don't think I spelled the name of this correctly!)
          > > My family left on rafts when there was the amnesty, and my father and his brothers made it to Pahlevi.
          > > When I found out about my family's deportation I realised that this is what i needed to write my next book on (just to let you know - I am a novelist not a historian, so I am trying to write novel based on the historical experiences of my family)
          > > I have been feverishly researching - particularly over the past few months. I would definately like to share what I have found and look forward to hearing other people's stories. In particular, I have found some documents from the Hoover Institution most recently which have been very useful, and I am now beginning to look at passenger lists and so forth.
          > > I look forward to being a part of this group very much.
          > > Caroline (Karolinka)

        • CJ Merfeld
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
             Hello all,
             I am interested in finding info about my father's family in Gluzy, located in
            Kielc Busko.  The last name is Krzemien.  I don't know the Polish spelling.  My
            grandfather was Gregory, killed in 1917-1918, not sure of exact date. My
            grandmother was Mary and there were 3 boys, John, Joe, Andrew & 2 girls, Tekla &
            Christine.  I also have another spelling for the area they were in:  Buskozruj,
            Kielc.  My dad was born in 1911, went to Siberia and was in the Polish army.
            Went to Canada where he recuperated from a back injury and met other Poles that
            chose to go there.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thank U and God
            Bless.....CJ

            ________________________________
[...]

            From here it gets a little sketchy, I know that they joined the armed forces,
            that Uncle Mikolaj fought at Monte Cassino, and that my father and Uncle
            Stanislaw ended up in England. Some of the family resettled in Poland, we
            settled in the UK and Uncle Stanislaw in America.

            I guess what I am trying to do is to collect as much information about my
            family, but also i am trying to find out as much as I can of the collective
            experience. One great resource is a book that i have found by Tadeusz
            Piotrowski, called 'the Polish deportees of Worls War II. I also managed to
            locate an interwar map that shows Kolonia Senkow. My father passed away when I
            was 6 years old, I guess this is a sort of 'in memoriam' for him.

            Karolinka

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, <romlipin@...> wrote:

            > Hello Karolinka,
            > Welcome to the group. Could you give us some more info about your relatives? I
            >know that this is sometimes difficult. I am sure that you will find a lot of
            >information from members of this group that will be helpful in your work.
            >
            > Regards
            > Romuald
            > ---- karolinkamichalczyszyn <hamc@...> wrote:
            > > Hello everyone,
            > > I have joined this group because my family was one of the many deported from
            >Poland to Siberia.
            > > My family lived in Kolonia Senkow Kuropatniki (Tarnopol province) and were
            >deported on Feb 10 1940 to a 'settlement' in Krasnoyarsk, I don't know where the
            >exact location is, but it was a place called Zimovaya Teya, on the Teya River.
            >(and I don't think I spelled the name of this correctly!)
            > > My family left on rafts when there was the amnesty, and my father and his
            >brothers made it to Pahlevi.
            > > When I found out about my family's deportation I realised that this is what i
            >needed to write my next book on (just to let you know - I am a novelist not a
            >historian, so I am trying to write novel based on the historical experiences of
            >my family)
            > > I have been feverishly researching - particularly over the past few months. I
            >would definately like to share what I have found and look forward to hearing
            >other people's stories. In particular, I have found some documents from the
            >Hoover Institution most recently which have been very useful, and I am now
            >beginning to look at passenger lists and so forth.
            > > I look forward to being a part of this group very much.
            > > Caroline (Karolinka)

          • barb_soja_revoet
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
              Please welcome my long time friend, CJ Merfeld to the group! I'm glad to see you joined, CJ! I'm sure you will learn a lot.

              I searched for your father's village, Gluzy, in Google and saw where it is located in southern Poland, but searching for Gluzy and Krzemien together only brought up the city Krzemien, not the surname. There are other ways to search for family names which I will try later.

              Again, welcome to the group! I will help you as much as I can. We will have to get together to talk soon.

              Barb Soja Revoet
              Connecticut