New Member's Area of Research

  • Antoni Kazimierski
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2010
      Anna,

      Would it be Waclaw Filipek son of Jana born in 1917 who was arrested in Stanislawowskie in 1940?

      Details are at Karta in Warsaw.

      Kazimierz OZIMEK son Aleksandra born 1912?

      Several people with this name deported to posiolek NOSHUL-BAZA in Priluskij rayon in Komi.

      Details at Memorial in Moscov and Karta in Warsaw.
      antoni530

    • romlipin@cox.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2010
        Hi Anna,
        In my regiment, 12 Podolski Lancers Regt., (12 Pulk Ulanow Podolskich) was Remigiusz Ozimek, my good friend. Any relative of your uncle?
        Greetings
        Romuald
        ---- annafranklin@... wrote:
        > Hello Kresy-Siberia Members,
        >

        > As a new member of your group I am looking forward to your discussions, reading your archives and acquiring the knowledge I need to document my family's terrible journeys during WWII. My family members, as many war survivors, did not tell their descendents very much about their war years. My father only once gave me a brief sketch of some places he had been but, after his death, I did find a few documents in an old suitcase along with other personal wartime papers which have filled in some of his silent history.
        >

        > Briefly, this is what I know. My father, Waclaw Filipek, (born in Northern Moravia but later moved to Iwierzyce) was working as a newly graduated civil engineer somewhere southeast of Krakow when he and his mates were ordered to blow up bridges and dams in advance of the German army and then make their own way home or escape. My dad made it to Lwow and eventually to the border of Rumania but trying to cross a river into Rumania he was arrested by the Russians as a spy (sometime between Dec/39 to early Jan/40). He spent a year in prison at Kharkow and then traveled by foot and rail to Lake Onega where he worked building a roadway and railway to Archangel. My father stated he was in camp #149 by the White Sea. He left the camp around Christmastime, 1941, when the camp was opened after the amnesty. My dad then made it to the Anders Army Staging Area at Omsk, then traveled to the Army Training Area at Wrewskaja (now Olmazor) in the vicinity of Tashkent, Uzbekistan and then sailed to Britain via Bombay. He joined the Polish arm of the RAF in June, 1942.
        >

        > My uncle, Stanislaw Filipek, was in the Polish Army, arrested by the Russians September, 19, 1939 and was in a camp at Lwow. He joined Anders Army September 2, 1941 at Tockoje (Totskoye) and then fought in the Italian campaign including Monte Cassino. His wife was taken as slave labour to the Auschwitz concentration camp.
        >

        > My uncle, Kazimierz Ozimek, and his family were deported from Vilnius to Kazakhstan, April 13, 1940. Uncle Kazik joined Anders Army at Buzuluk December 1, 1941 and left for Britain where he joined the Polish arm of the RAF. Most of his family returned to Kolbuszowa, June 4, 1946.
        >

        > The above information has been gathered from snippets of information, documents, family discussions and internet research - although many of the sites I have looked at are quite general in nature or in Polish or Russian and I only speak English. As well, the Google translation program is not always helpful. So, I am looking forward to learn from you all and, perhaps along the way, I may be of help to someone as well.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Anna Franklin.

      • Antoni Kazimierski
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2010
          Anna,

          You mention camp no 149 where your father was by the White Sea.

          If you key into Google gulag 149, and go to www.jstor.org/pss/20174662 you'll get to a title of a book by Nick Baron about PRODUCTION AND TERROR: The operation of the karelian gulag 1933-1939 which deals with such camps as #149.
          It is a period before your father was posted there, but it is of interest.
          antoni530