Anyone know where gizdumaku is?

  • jim.bisnett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hi,
      My father-in-law's family was taken to siberia by the russians after the invasion. The father has been in the army during WWI and from what we found out he fought the invaders during the invasion of poland during WWII. After Poland fell they were taken by cattle car to somewhere in siberia(misplaced the exact location.)

      After escaping the camp they got to uzbekistan. In what they called the lenin collective farm. Half of the family died of typhus the other half (thankfully my father-in-law) eventually made the camps in Tehran, Iran.

      I have the documents generated at the camp in Tehran, certifing my father-in-laws' fathers death. The man who died is Leon Opalka. The documemt says he died in a hospital in Gizdumaku and was buried in a polish cemetary in that same town. From the ducument it seems that it is the province of buchara (spelling it the way it is in the document) We know from the family it was not too far (could walk) from the collective farm.

      Now to the question. Does anyone know where gizdumaku is? I cant find it. The polish language (original) version of the document seems to put qoutes around the Z or just an accent after the Z. It is hand written.

      Any help would be appreciated. I am doing this for my father-in-law. Edward opalka. He is still alive and we are trying to fill in the blanks.

      Jim Bisnett

      bisnett@...
    • Barbara Charuba
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
        Jim;

        I found a Gazhdumak near Bukhara Uzbekistan which may be the place you are looking for. Here are some links to a satellite picture, maps and details, etc.

        http://tinyurl.com/27ghh7a

        http://tinyurl.com/25374tq

        Hope these help.

[...]

        bisnett@... <mailto:bisnett%40gmail.com>

      • Antoni Kazimierski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
          Barbara,
          It was very clever of you to transcribe Jim's statement from Polish to Russian to come up with Гaждумак near Buchara.
          There were several posiolki in that area, but the largest was in Bukhara itself (outskirts) where over 2200 prisoners worked in a controlled area on special constructions of buildings and irrigation canal 220 or so km to Amu-Dar'ya river.
          I believe one huge hotel constructed in those days is still there.
          antoni530

        • Jess
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
            Antoni,

            Thank you for that little gem of information, you may have cleared up a mystery for me. My father was arrested on 6 February 1940 and sentenced to 5 years ITL in Archangelsk, most probably Kolyma. However, according to his statement, he was amnestied on 15 August 1941 and before enlisting with 2 Korpus on 28 December 1942, he remained in Karakalpaskh, Oblast Bukhara.

            From what I can gather from his statement, in Archangelsk and with some 500 other prisoners, he felled trees and constructed some sort of huts. I am assuming that these huts were meant to house prisoners. I have absolutely no idea how he ended up in Oblast Bukhara. Do you think it is possible that he was somehow transferred from Kolyma to Karakalpaskh as part of a work detail? I'm not sure that the expense of transferring prisoners would warrant their being moved around, but there again, nothing about the GuLag makes sense anyway.

            Zdzis
            Runaway Bay
            Queensland
            Australia

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
              Hi Zdis,

              Confused by your statement "sentenced to 5 years ITL in Archangelsk, most
              probably Kolyma" as Archangelsk and Kolyma are at opposite ends of Siberia.
              Archangelsk is to the west and Kolyma to the east 10,000km away. Of the
              15-20,000 Poles sent to Kolyma only 583 survived to join 2 Korpus.

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                Frank,

                Mea culpa! I had pencilled a notation on Dad's statement referring to Kolyma. In my excitement about Bukhara, I let my fingers do the walking instead of using my brain.
                He was definitely in Kherson prison and on 1 August 1940 was sentenced to 5 years ITL in Archangelsk. I'm not sure in which camp, and I probably never will know. I have no idea where he was between August 1941 and December 1942 and that is why I leapt upon the Bukhara reference thinking that perhaps he wangled himself onto a construction detail there. Amazing how we can clutch at straws....
                Thanks for the vigilance

                Zdzis
                Runaway Bay
                Queensland
                Australia

                Frank Pleszak

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Zdzis,

                  It would really be strange if it was Kolyma; more like Komi.

                  Kolyma is not of felling trees or building blocks of barracks; it is hell on earth and it is to do with mineral getting, so I am not sure if it was that region particularly as landing so swiftly in Buchara oblast and joining up with 2 gi Korpus.

                  Perhaps ypu have some other info which might unlock the quandry?

                  What is your father's name and dob - perhaps he is listed somewhere?

                  antoni530

                • Anne Kaczanowski
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                    I know we've shared this conversation in the past ....and like my dad your dad was sent to labour camp in Archangleska from Kherson in the summer of 1940.  Our dads were sent from Kherson prison one month apart  from each other and possibly were even in the same camp.  My dad said there were 8000 men in the camp he was in when transferred from Archangelska thru Urals somewhere along Yenieiej River.... in June of 1941 on the heels of german invasion of Russia. Wherever he went they were working on a road to a gold mine, which I think was near Krasnoyarsk...maybe, because it was 25 miles or km. south of Yenisiej, which brings you toKrasnoyarsk and goldmines. I was able to get arrestaion documentation prior to Kherson but after transfer from Kherson there seems to be no data as to which camp in Archangelska.  But I remember my dad saying it was 120 km. or miles  east of Finland and I believe Murmansk was close.  I think many times if only...if
                    only I had asked more...if only this had been important when I was younger....but through the help of different resources  I am a lot further than I was when I started.....and still optimistic maybe someday something more will turn up.

                    hania