Excess Baggage

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 5:50 AM
      I caught the end of an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning in which a gentlemen by the name of Matthew Kelly tells the story of his great grandparents' and grandparents' deportation from Poland by the Soviets.

      A "listen again" link should appear soon on this web page http://www.bbc <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qjds> co.uk/programmes/b006qjds

      At the bottom of this page http://www.bbc <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rpvkr#synopsis> co.uk/programmes/b00rpvkr#synopsis there is a bit more about Matthew Kelly and the book he has written on the subject.

    • henrypavlovich
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 7:51 AM
        At least Dr Kelly fared better with the BBC (and the interviewer Sandy Toksvig) than my poor Mum did many years ago when a BBC research team visited her and asked if she'd like them to fly her to Kotlas to look for the logging camps she laboured in! She was speechless with astonishment but eventually refused. (This was before the fall of communism.)
        My book, Worlds Apart: Surviving Identity and Memory, is available from online retailers, e.g. Amazon. There is more about the book and the context behind it at www.henrypavlovich.com (ISBN 978-1-84728-226-2)
        Some photos are on www.pbase.com/pavlovich

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lucyna Artymiuk" <lucynaartymiuk@...> wrote:

        > I caught the end of an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning in which a gentlemen by the name of Matthew Kelly tells the story of his great grandparents' and grandparents' deportation from Poland by the Soviets.
        >
        > A "listen again" link should appear soon on this web page http://www.bbc <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qjds> co.uk/programmes/b006qjds
        >
        > At the bottom of this page http://www.bbc <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rpvkr#synopsis> co.uk/programmes/b00rpvkr#synopsis there is a bit more about Matthew Kelly and the book he has written on the subject.

      • Antoni Kazimierski
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3 8:56 AM
          Lucyna,
          Michael Kelly, a very young writer, wrote his book well and I already contacted some of our Kresy members who are mentioned in that book.
          It is worth reading and learn about his Polish grandad Rafal Ryzewski 1899 from Bielsko -Biala and family connections with Hruzdowa near Postawy in Belarus, also Simno near Wilno as well as life in Kazachstan during construction of Kartaly-Akmolinsk railway.
          Eventual settling down in Devon in England.
          The story is similar to many, but Michael's approach is somewhat differnt and it includes a great deal of histaory of deportations and beyond.
          Interesting.
          antoni530

        • janusz_ks
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3 10:37 AM
            Janusz the nit-picker calling.....

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Antoni Kazimierski" <ASKAZIMIERSKI@...> wrote:
            > It is worth reading and learn about his Polish grandad Rafal Ryzewski
            > 1899 from Bielsko -Biala
            He was either from Bielsko (at the time in Germany) or from Biala (at the time in Austria-Hungary). These were two towns on the opposite sides of the Biala river, which formed the border between those two states.
            Bielsko-Biala was created only in 1951.
          • John Halucha
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3 4:53 PM
              Very nice. Thanks.
              An mp3 podcast of the interview can be downloaded from
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/excessbag
              It is 12.9 MB. There is an item on the Falkland Islands first, then the Kresy portion begins at 15:47 and runs to 27:42. The interviewer/presenter makes a few minor errors, but Matthew Kelly lives up to his billing as a PhD in history. Although there there may not be much new to members of this forum, it is good to hear someone so articulate bringing our story to a wider Western audience.

              John Halucha
              Sault Ste Marie, Canada

              I caught the end of an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning in which a gentlemen by the name of Matthew Kelly tells the story of his great grandparents' and grandparents' deportation from Poland by the Soviets.

              A "listen again" link should appear soon on this web page http://www.bbc co.uk/programmes /b006qjds

              At the bottom of this page http://www.bbc co.uk/programmes /b00rpvkr# synopsis there is a bit more about Matthew Kelly and the book he has written on the subject.

            • Barbara Charuba
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7 9:12 AM
                A few days ago, Tony and Lucyna alerted us to the broadcast of the above mentioned BBC radio program featuring an interview with Matthew Kelly speaking about his great grandmother who was deported to the U.S.S.R. Matthew has written a book about his great grandmother’s experiences called “Finding Poland”. As soon as I heard his voice, I remembered meeting him at the 2006 reunion of the Association of Poles in India” in Naleczow, Poland. A very amiable fellow, he was gathering material for his book which really looks interesting. It is available at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finding-Poland-Matthew-Kelly/dp/0224081675 , as well as Amazon.ca, for anyone who might like to order it.

                Barbara Charuba

                Barrie ON Canada