Re: Letter from Siberian camps

  • martin stepek
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2010
      Sorry, in aiming for brevity I harmed clarity!

      My grandfather was tipped off that he was on a Red Army hit list when the Soviets reached the little village of Maczkowce near Luck on 19th September 1939. He managed to evade capture and escape to the family farm in his home village of Haczow in Nazi-occupied Poland. Hence he was ironically in a somewhat more secure space when the rest of the family were deported to Siberia.

      Hope that explains the seeming paradox of him hiding from the Red Army in Nazi-occupied Poland!

      to her husband (who was in hiding from the Red Army in Haczow near Rzeszow, south-east present-day Poland).
      Don't understand that... Why was he hiding from the _Red_Army_, when that part of Poland was under German occupation in 1940?

      Martin Stepek