Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: Youtube - February 28th, 2010 - Re-enactment of Syberian Deporation at Przemysl Train Station-Historical Drama

  • Barbara Milligan
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hi Bozena,

      There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius ) near Wilno / Vilnius. My mother saw this memorial to all deportees from Lithuania/Poland and confirmed it was authentic. It was very moving. She stood by the rail tracks where her train stood in Nowa Wilejka. Many people came to see them and threw bread and meat into the carriages and also books. She had lived there and went to school there as well as in Wilno.

      Basia ( UK )
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Milligan" <bwbm@...> wrote:
        > There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius )
        This one ?
        http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaizdas:N._Vilnia,_Garvezys-paminklas.JPG
      • ed Bator
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
          Bozena.  I'll try to describe the "innards" of a boxcar we were in.  My memory is just from visual, and not with the measuring tape in hands.  This was normal covered car used to
          transport cargo of any kind including cattle.  Standard width and lenght. Sliding door on
          each side, about 6 feet wide.  Four openings high on each end of the walls with iron bars in them, roughly 18 by 18 inches.  At the each end of a car there were installed 6 feet wide shelves made of a rough boards.  The bottom shelve  was 2 feet of a floor, next  3 feet
          above it and the third 3 feet over it.  This set-up accomodated all "passengers" as far as
          was possible.  It helped also to stay warm.  No P.J's, sorry.  Families stuck together with
          male members to neighbor familys male member, and female next to female if no male
          was with the family.  We did not have heating stove, however the hole was there about
          12 - 18 inches from the unused, never used oposite door.  Men got together the first day of
          a trip, and rigged a screen arround that hole for the privacy for the user. I did not inspect the
          contraption, however something keept the blankets up. Most grownups used it after dark
          unless the emergency required it.  And this is all.  No fancy stuff.
          Ed,stary junak.

          There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius ) near Wilno / Vilnius. My mother saw this memorial to all deportees from Lithuania/Poland and confirmed it was authentic. It was very moving. She stood by the rail tracks where her train stood in Nowa Wilejka. Many people came to see them and threw bread and meat into the carriages and also books. She had lived there and went to school there as well as in Wilno.

          Basia ( UK )
          I wish we could have seen, during this re-enactment, the interior of one of those wagons. To see â?opryczeâ?�, note their width and length, see how they were laid out in the wagons to accommodate 70 people (as in our cattle wagon), see where the unprotected stove was placed, and most degrading of all â?" see how and where the â?oholeâ?� in the floor of the wagon was cut out for sanitary purposes, lacking even a semblance of privacy. That to me would have cemented what I have been visualizing all these years and added an unforgettable reality to the drama which unfolded. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, that was not shown and I did watch the whole program.

          BOZENA â?" Florida, USA

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@ yahoogroups. com, Danuta Janina W�jcik <sandlily@.. .> wrote:

          > Prosze bardzo. Indeed, it was very well done and heart wrenching.
          >
          > milego wieczoru,
          > Danuta

        • Barbara Milligan
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
            Looks like it, but you can't see the wagons in this photo. I took lots of film and photos in Wilno, Troki, and Nowa Wilejka. Problem is I don't have the time or the ability to offer them for the museum.

            Basia ( UK )
            > There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius )
            This one ?
            http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaizdas:N._Vilnia,_Garvezys-paminklas.JPG

          • Elizabeth Olsson
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
              My mum’s train had 2 levels of bunks and sounds quite like Telesfor Sobierajski’s illustration but some trains had 3 too.

              http://kresy-siberia.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=5263

              Thanks for the detailed description.

              pozdrowienia
              Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
              Alingsås, Sweden
              Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
              Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
              Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
              Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.

              _____

              There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius ) near Wilno / Vilnius. My mother saw this memorial to all deportees from Lithuania/Poland and confirmed it was authentic. It was very moving. She stood by the rail tracks where her train stood in Nowa Wilejka. Many people came to see them and threw bread and meat into the carriages and also books. She had lived there and went to school there as well as in Wilno.

              Basia ( UK )
              I wish we could have seen, during this re-enactment, the interior of one of those wagons. To see â?opryczeâ?�, note their width and length, see how they were laid out in the wagons to accommodate 70 people (as in our cattle wagon), see where the unprotected stove was placed, and most degrading of all â?" see how and where the â?oholeâ?� in the floor of the wagon was cut out for sanitary purposes, lacking even a semblance of privacy. That to me would have cemented what I have been visualizing all these years and added an unforgettable reality to the drama which unfolded. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, that was not shown and I did watch the whole program.

              BOZENA â?" Florida, USA

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@ yahoogroups. com, Danuta Janina W�jcik <sandlily@.. .> wrote:

              > Prosze bardzo. Indeed, it was very well done and heart wrenching.
              >
              > milego wieczoru,
              > Danuta

            • tinijoroga
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2010
                ED, BARBARA, JANUSZ and ALL:

                I read your account of the layout of the wagon, Ed, and it sent shivers up my spine visualizing what you said. It would have enhanced the re-enactment had we been shown the interior of the wagons and not just people walking towards or looking out of them. That to me would have been more devastating to see than it was watching groups being herded into the train station, loaded into wagons and listening to their rightful lamentation, as sad as it was. I can well understand your Mom’s reaction, Basiu, in Nowa Wilejka when she had the occasion to revisit the moment and the means of her deportation. I only hope that when this re-enactment is made into a film, that the rest of the world will get a glimpse into the inhumane conditions, the indignities and degradation to which the Polish people were subjected to by a power hungry tyrant.

                BOZENA â€" Florida, USA

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, ed Bator <edijadzia@...> wrote:

                > Bozena.  I'll try to describe the "innards" of a boxcar we were in.  My memory is just from visual, and not with the measuring tape in hands.  This was normal covered car used to
                > transport cargo of any kind including cattle.  Standard width and lenght. Sliding door on
                > each side, about 6 feet wide.  Four openings high on each end of the walls with iron bars in them, roughly 18 by 18 inches.  At the each end of a car there were installed 6 feet wide shelves made of a rough boards.  The bottom shelve  was 2 feet of a floor, next  3 feet
                > above it and the third 3 feet over it.  This set-up accomodated all "passengers" as far as
                > was possible.  It helped also to stay warm.  No P.J's, sorry.  Families stuck together with
                > male members to neighbor familys male member, and female next to female if no male
                > was with the family.  We did not have heating stove, however the hole was there about
                > 12 - 18 inches from the unused, never used oposite door.  Men got together the first day of
                > a trip, and rigged a screen arround that hole for the privacy for the user. I did not inspect the
                > contraption, however something keept the blankets up. Most grownups used it after dark
                > unless the emergency required it.  And this is all.  No fancy stuff.
                > Ed,stary junak.

              • Cynthia Pukiello
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 23, 2010
                  Dear Basia,
                  Sorry to bother you when you say in your message you have not got time or the ability to offer much, but may I ask when you visited Nowa Wilejka was it because you have some relatives or some other reason attached to Wilno.
                  My late husband Michael 's home was in Wilno & I have had a lot of help from K-S group re info; but no one person has been as near as you .
                  I will understand if you have nothing to tell me , but I will keep trying.
                  Thanking you in anticipation.
                  Cynthia Pukiello (English) UK.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 24, 2010
                    Dear Cynthia,

                    We went all over Wilno, Nowa Wilejka, Troki, and the family estate. We saw the houses and took pictures of my Mum and Uncle standing in and by them. Most were in a sorry state. Those that were occupied had nice people who were terrified that we would want the properties back. We reassured them that that was not our intention. They too had suffered a huge amount and we could not add to that. Money is not everything in this life. We took a carriage drive from the middle of town to some places for old times sake. Expensive but worth it. My mother said she had forgotten all her Russian ( still much spoken there) but when a man annoyed her with the rubbish he spoke about old times she let him have it in fluent to the point russian. The Lithuanian language is now " russianised" which upset her.

                    When we arrived we went straight to Ostrabrama as that was my grandmother's favourite place to pray. We hit on a wedding and were invited to join. It was fabulous. Imagine, arriving there straight for a Mass and taking Communion. The old part of Wilno has not changed very much and my mother found her way with ease even pointing out where specific shops had been. Obviously the same shops now have different merchandise. I had trouble stopping myself from looking in the antique shops to see if I could find anything she might recognise as having belonged to the family.

                    Sadly my mum now has a most vicious form of dementia where she has long lucid periods during which she fully appreciates what she is going through, but has periods when she is not aware of what she is doing or saying, plus halucinations, plus an element of Parkinsons, plus mangling her words. It's called Lewy bodies dementia and is a very cruel form to have.

                    I hope that is useful Cynthia.

                    all the best, Basia (UK)
                    Looks like it, but you can't see the wagons in this photo. I took lots of film and photos in Wilno, Troki, and Nowa Wilejka. Problem is I don't have the time or the ability to offer them for the museum.

                    Basia ( UK )
                    > There is an actual soviet engine and two cattle wagons used for deportations in Nowa Wilejka ( Naujas Vilnius )
                    This one ?
                    http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaizdas:N._Vilnia,_Garvezys-paminklas.JPG

                  • BOB STYRNA
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 24, 2010
                      Basia,

                      a very emotional and touching email.
                      I too agree. After seeing pictures of my mom's home near Zloczow ( now Ukraine),  I could not bare to think of trying to remove folks that were living in the house that my grandfather built with his own hands.
                      My mom's family had close Ukrainian neighbors/friends. When they were being  deported to Siberia, my grandfather left his priceless Stallion to Ukrainian buddy who promised to return it all when they got back from Siberia.  When one Ukrainian man tried to be sympathetic to the Polish deportees, he too was deported.

                      There was a lot of suffering  all around I'm afraid.
                      And today, Basia, just like your roots, my mom's area is extremely poor also.  So how and why would someone try to squeeze blood out of a STONE ?

                      Basia, I like what you say,  " money is not everything".

                      Zbyszek

                      > We went all over Wilno, Nowa Wilejka, Troki, and the family
                      > estate. We saw the houses and took pictures of my Mum and Uncle
                      > standing in and by them. Most were in a sorry state. Those that
                      > were occupied had nice people who were terrified that we would
                      > want the properties back. We reassured them that that was not
                      > our intention. They too had suffered a huge amount and we could
                      > not add to that. Money is not everything in this life. We took a
                      > carriage drive from the middle of town to some places for old
                      > times sake. Expensive but worth it. My mother said she had
                      > forgotten all her Russian ( still much spoken there) but when a
                      > man annoyed her with the rubbish he spoke about old times she
                      > let him have it in fluent to the point russian. The Lithuanian
                      > language is now " russianised" which upset her.
                      >
                      > When we arrived we went straight to Ostrabrama as that was my
                      > grandmother's favourite place to pray. We hit on a wedding and
                      > were invited to join. It was fabulous. Imagine, arriving there
                      > straight for a Mass and taking Communion. The old part of Wilno
                      > has not changed very much and my mother found her way with ease
                      > even pointing out where specific shops had been. Obviously the
                      > same shops now have different merchandise. I had trouble
                      > stopping myself from looking in the antique shops to see if I
                      > could find anything she might recognise as having belonged to
                      > the family.
                      >
                      > Sadly my mum now has a most vicious form of dementia where she
                      > has long lucid periods during which she fully appreciates what
                      > she is going through, but has periods when she is not aware of
                      > what she is doing or saying, plus halucinations, plus an element
                      > of Parkinsons, plus mangling her words. It's called Lewy bodies
                      > dementia and is a very cruel form to have.
                      >
                      > I hope that is useful Cynthia.
                      >
                      > all the best,  Basia (UK)

                    • Barbara Milligan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 24, 2010
                        Zbyszek,

                        Thankyou. I really value all your words.
                        Basia

                        > We went all over Wilno, Nowa Wilejka, Troki, and the family
                        > estate. We saw the houses and took pictures of my Mum and Uncle
                        > standing in and by them. Most were in a sorry state. Those that
                        > were occupied had nice people who were terrified that we would
                        > want the properties back. We reassured them that that was not
                        > our intention. They too had suffered a huge amount and we could
                        > not add to that. Money is not everything in this life. We took a
                        > carriage drive from the middle of town to some places for old
                        > times sake. Expensive but worth it. My mother said she had
                        > forgotten all her Russian ( still much spoken there) but when a
                        > man annoyed her with the rubbish he spoke about old times she
                        > let him have it in fluent to the point russian. The Lithuanian
                        > language is now " russianised" which upset her.
                        >
                        > When we arrived we went straight to Ostrabrama as that was my
                        > grandmother's favourite place to pray. We hit on a wedding and
                        > were invited to join. It was fabulous. Imagine, arriving there
                        > straight for a Mass and taking Communion. The old part of Wilno
                        > has not changed very much and my mother found her way with ease
                        > even pointing out where specific shops had been. Obviously the
                        > same shops now have different merchandise. I had trouble
                        > stopping myself from looking in the antique shops to see if I
                        > could find anything she might recognise as having belonged to
                        > the family.
                        >
                        > Sadly my mum now has a most vicious form of dementia where she
                        > has long lucid periods during which she fully appreciates what
                        > she is going through, but has periods when she is not aware of
                        > what she is doing or saying, plus halucinations, plus an element
                        > of Parkinsons, plus mangling her words. It's called Lewy bodies
                        > dementia and is a very cruel form to have.
                        >
                        > I hope that is useful Cynthia.
                        >
                        > all the best, Basia (UK)

                      • Jerzy Neisser
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 24, 2010
                          Dear Kresy Siberia UK Members,

                          This is to confirm that we will be holding a meeting on SUNDAY 28th MARCH at POSK from 1.00pm onwards in the ground floor cafeteria.

                          Once again we invite KS UK members to come along to POSK to meet the KS UK Directors.

                          We look forward to seeing you there.

                          Best wishes

                          Jurek Neisser
                          Manchester

                          UK

                        • Jerzy Neisser
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 24, 2010
                            Dear KS UK members,

                            Some further information regarding the SUNDAY 28th Meeting.

                            The meeting will be at POSK in London. Details of how to get there are given below.

                            Polski O�rodek Spo�eczno-Kulturalny w Londynie:

                            238-246 King Street,
                            London W6 0RF

                            Tube: Ravenscourt Park (District), Hammersmith (District, Hammersmith & City, Piccadilly),
                            Busses: 27, 190, 267, 290, 391, H91, N67, N97.
                            Bus Stop: Hammersmith Town Hall

                            Also, a provisional agenda follows.

                            1. KS UK strategy/plans for 2010.

                            2. Survivor testimony project

                            3. Funding

                            4. Financial Issues/Arrangements

                            5. Any Other Business

                            Please come along and meet the UK Directors, and help us to brainstorm some strategic planning and funding initiatives for 2010.

                            Best wishes

                            Jurek Neisser

                            Manchester