Re: Introduction

  • janusz_ks
    Message 1 of 127 , Mar 1, 2010
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartaly
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akmolinsk

      > You mention `station 91' , was this a place, an area ?
      My bet is this was a passing loop on a single-track line in the middle of nowhere. Such names were (are?) not uncommon on Russian & Soviet railways.

      On the Soviet railway map I have (dated 1971) , there are quite a few locations named 'Razjezd NN' (razjezd = passing loop) between Kartaly and Celinograd (the then name of Akmolinsk). There are Razjezd 90 and Razjezd 93 near the Akmolinsk end of the section, and three named stations between those two. Its possible that of the intermediate passing loops got 'promoted' to a proper station :-)
    • JanZ
      Message 127 of 127 , Apr 3 1:38 PM
        Basia,

        Good luck with your search!

        You can find details of Jozef, born 1915, father Jozef here:

        This refers you to the Polish Army Central Archive, CAW, who will have details of the first three entries. I'd email them with full details of your father, these references and ask for copies of any papers they have. They are very good at responding, but it does take some months. Don't forget to provide them with a postal address. Whilst you're at it why not ask for your grandfathers records?

        email CAW at: caw@...

        Janusz
        UK