Re: Bialosiewicz family - Osada Ulanowka

  • simonlast35
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi Elizabeth

      Thanks for your messages.

      I live in Essex UK and my name is not Bialosiewicz as I am descended from Tadeusz's daughter.

      I do not speak Polish, but is the book available in an english translation as I would love to read it particularly as it metions my Great Grandfather Stefan Bialosiewicz. Do you know where I can find further information about him and the Osada, as we are looking to visit Poland and Ukraine in May this year and need to know we are going to the right areas?

      Are the photos in the book available online at all as I would love to see them.

      Kind regards

      Simon

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Olsson" <elzunia@...> wrote:

      > Hi again Simon
      >

      > Do you read Polish? Have you seen the book “Wspomnienia z Osad Wojskowych 1921-1949”? It contains a collection of articles written by osadnicy about life before deportation.
      >
      > Osada Ulanowka, gm Mikulicze, pow Wlodzimierz Wolynski, as Antoni just said. 15 km from WW.
      >
      > There are 2 articles, 11 pages of text describing life on your family osada: kpr Stefan Bialosiewicz is listed, there is also a diagram of the plots and quite a few photos from the Utnik family. According the Halina Babik (Rafal)’s article there is nothing left of the osada.
      >

      > pozdrowienia
      > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
      > Alingsås, Sweden
      > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
      > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
      > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
      > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
      >

      > _____

    • Elizabeth Olsson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
        Where in Essex? I grew up in east London, Forest Gate and my mother still lives there. We have several K-S members out in Essex.

        (So, what is your surname? We try not to be anonymous in this group.)

        No, the book is not available in English. We in the group are in the process of translating it; I’m in charge of the project though I haven’t had time to do much work on it lately. Several of the translations already done are in our Files on the Yahoo site, so it will give you an idea of how an osada worked, including many details of everyday life. My mother’s osada was also in Wolyn, not far from your family’s one so it will give you quite a good picture of their lives.

        If anyone in the group feels like translating these two articles for Simon and the project, please contact me directly. Elzunia (at) alimail.net

        There is a map here showing the exact location, though I just got a virus warning for this site!! 99 threats on the site – anyone else had this???

        http://wolyn.ovh.org/opisy/ulanowka-10.html

        your great grandfather is listed here, the source being the quoted book.

        No, the photos are not yet available on line but you should be able to get a copy of the book from POSK’s bookshop or

        Veritas Bookshop

        63 Jeddo Road, London W12 9EE, U.K.

        tel: 00 44 (0)20 8749 4957, fax: 00 44 (0)20 8749 4965

        www.veritas-london.co.uk

        Z Kresow Wschodnich R.P. Wspomnienia z osad wojskowych 1921-1940

        (From The Eastern Borderlands of Poland, Memories of military settlements 1921-1940)

        ISBN; 1 872286 33 X