Polish Offficers - pre-1918

  • Stefan Jackowski
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hi group,

      I trust everyone has had a beautiful Christmas, and is looking forward to bringing in the New
      Year in style ... Let me add my family's heart felt best wishes to all ...

      --

      It's come to my attention that the Military Service Records of Polish Officers serving in the
      Army of the Czar before 1918 are readily, but indirectly, available from the Russian State

      As they approached retirement, Polish Officers documents were gathered together and
      reviewed by a small military pension committee so that the amount of the pension could be determined. These pension files, typically 30 + pages - mostly beautifully hand written in
      archaic Russian - are an absolute genealogical gold mine.

      --

      Doubtless, it might strike a few Kresy-Sib members as odd that Polish Officers would be in
      the employ of anyone other than the Polish Armed Forces. Of course, most of us realize that

      --

      If anyone in the group wants to follow up on this, please be sure you have some concrete details such as date of birth, regiment, rank ...

      And thanks for those who endured my simplistic history lesson ... ;

      All the best,

      Stefan Jackowski
      Toronto

    • Barbara Milligan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hi Stefan,

        I have tried to e-mail you privately but my e-mail was returned a sundelivered. Yes, I did use the right address. Can you help please? I was asking for your help in relation to this.

        A very happy new year and all the best, Basia

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
          > the Military Service Records of Polish Officers serving in the
          > Army of the Czar before 1918 are readily, but indirectly,
          > available from the Russian State
          > Military Historical Archives in Moscow.

          There is an on-line resource, 'Russian Imperial Army':
          http://regiment.ru/index.htm
          It lists at least some names, I don't know how (in)complete the lists are.
          The site is in Russian and the search works with Cyrillic letters only.

          Janusz
        • Stefan Jackowski
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
            Hi Basia,

            Nice to hear from you again.

            Sorry, but my computer had been playing up since Thursday night, but now at 1:16 a.m.
            on Monday its - sort of - responding. .. No doubt, any trouble you have had has originated
            at my end. (I am seriously looking at buying a Mac this week. Hmmm.) .. Sorry, again.

            I have found an excellent researcher in Moscow who specializes in the archives of pre-1918
            Russian Army Officers, (many of whom were very proudly Polish). He does charge for his
            work, which of course he has every right to. .. I have found him to be excellent in that he
            certainly knows his stuff, seems quite conscientious, and speaks excellent English.

            As I mentioned in my post to the group you will just need some details regarding the Officer
            in question, so that there can be no mistake about his correct identity. In my own case,
            Dmitry provided me with the names and date(s) for my great-grandmother and her five children, including, of course, my grandfather. All were an exact match. .. My great-grandfather did,
            in fact, retire as a Polish Roman Catholic Major General in the Army of the Czar. I had long suspected that this was a bit of a family lore "embellishment", designed to inspire my Dad and
            his brother when they were young boys, but it turns out to be absolutely correct. It really is quite humbling to realize that no one in our (English) family knew this except in the vaguest way, and sadly doesn t really care that much anymore .....

            Anyway, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with Dmitry, if you wish.

            Very best wishes for the New Year,

            Stefan Jackowski

            ________________________________
[...]

            http://www.flickr com/gift/

          • Lucyna Artymiuk
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
              When I wrote to Dmitry i asked him whether he could deal with Polish - and
              he responded that he did

              Thanks for the contact Stefan

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
                Sorry, this was meant as a private mesage. Fatigue.

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                  Hi Stefan,

                  Yes plese do put me in touch with Dmitry.

                  I have a Toshiba laptop that I am very pleased with. They are very robust - need to be to cope with my grandchildren!

                  Have a fabulous 2010 and all the best, Basia (UK)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Hi Basia,

                    His e-mail is: <belan@...> , full name: Dmitry Belanovsky.

                    Say "hi" from me.

                    Best of luck.

                    Stefan J

[...]

                    http://ca.toolbar yahoo.com.

                  • Stefan Jackowski
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                      Damn, I didn't mean to do that.
                      Basia, could you please e-mail me privately with any follow up on this.
                      Thanks,
                      Stefan J