Polish church hosts ceremony to remember WW2 veterans

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009

      http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/4659318.Polish_church_hosts_ceremony_to_remember_WW2_veterans/

      Polish church hosts ceremony to remember WW2 veterans

      4:10pm Thursday 1st October 2009

      Polish people from across Trowbridge gathered at a ceremony to remember their country’s Second World War soldiers.

      The mass and parade, called The Last Parade of Polish Soldiers the Second World War, was held at the Polish Catholic Centre of Our Lady of Czestochowa on Sunday to mark the 70th anniversary of the Polish army in exile and 65 years since the Warsaw uprising.

      The event was organised by Emilia Kenich, who moved to Trowbridge in 1948 after being exiled to Russia during the war.

      She said: “I felt that as I am in the last generation of those who were exiled I must do something to make sure the younger generations do not forget what happened. It was a very emotional service. There was not a dry eye in the house. It was wonderful to see the hall full of people paying tribute to the Polish soldiers who were fighting for the freedom of Poland .”

      War veterans Pawet Bembek, Jozof Marchut, Franciszek Jonik and Leokadia Ryzop were part of a parade in the centre, followed by a mass led by Father Andrzej Budzynski and speeches, poems and songs