MoD

  • Barbara Scrivens
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hi Group,

      A question:

      Has any grandchild of a Polish soldier been able to access records from the
      Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence in the UK?

      And if so (okay, two questions), what information did you have to provide?

      Many thanks - Barbara

      Barbara Scrivens

      Auckland

      New Zealand

      Researching Nie�cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka

      Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lw�w

    • Sheila Bannister
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
        Hi

        Yes, after waiting many weeks due to the backlog they have I finally
        received my grandfathers records this week. It is amazing, they have sent
        lots of forms actually filled him by him and also a letter he wrote in 1941.
        Unfortunately I do not read polish so I will need to have them translated.
        It is so moving and exciting.

        Sheila Bannister
        Chesterfield, Derbyshire
        Has any grandchild of a Polish soldier been able to access records from the
        Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence in the UK?

        And if so (okay, two questions), what information did you have to provide?

        Many thanks - Barbara

        Barbara Scrivens

        Auckland

        New Zealand

        Researching Nie¶cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka

        Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lwów

        ------------------------------------

        Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
        http://www.kresy-siberia.org

        Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

        ****************************************************************************Yahoo!
        Groups Links

        http://www.eset.com
      • stefan.wisniowski@kresy-siberia.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
          Yes I got records for my grandfather and his brother.

          I had to provide my mother's birth certificate to link her to the soldier,
          and mine to link me to her; plus she wrote a letter saying it is okay to
          send stuff to me (as she was next of kin still alive).

          Hope this helps.

          Stefan Wisniowski
          Sydney

        • m.nietubyc@tx.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
            Barbara,
            I can't speak for others, but we have been requested to provide documentation so that we can prove our relation (birth & death certificates, etc.?). The problem we are running into is obtaining copies of any birth records.

            I hope you well in your quest!

            Regards,
            Mark Nietubyc
            Son of Zygmunt Nietubyc (Wilno)
            Grandson of Alexander Nietubyc

          • m.nietubyc@tx.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
              Barbara,
              I can't speak for others, but we have been requested to provide documentation so that we can prove our relation (birth & death certificates, etc.?). The problem we are running into is obtaining copies of any birth records.

              I hope you well in your quest!

              Regards,
              Mark Nietubyc
              Son of Zygmunt Nietubyc (Wilno)
              Grandson of Alexander Nietubyc

              ---- Barbara Scrivens <scrivs@...> wrote:
              > Hi Group,
              >

              > A question:
              >

              > Has any grandchild of a Polish soldier been able to access records from the
              > Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence in the UK?
              >

              > And if so (okay, two questions), what information did you have to provide?
              >

              > Many thanks - Barbara
              >

              > Barbara Scrivens
              >
              > Auckland
              >
              > New Zealand
              >

              > Researching Nie¶cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka
              >
              > Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lwów

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy-siberia.org

              > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
              > Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:
              >
              > ****************************************************************************Yahoo! Groups Links

            • danielle meyer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
                Hi Barbara,

                I obtained a form through the link on the Kresy site that I downloaded and printed and filled out. You had to prove to be next of Kin.I was hoping to obtain my grandfathers Military records.So I sent them the Certificate of my fathers death-as I have no birth Certificate.Im not even sure where he was born yet. I also attached a copy of my grandfathers Will. And a copy of my birth Certificate. So basically thats all i had.

                It seemed a bit thin as evidence of being next of kin. I may not be. Especially as my grandfather had two children. I just ignored that fact because as far as I know they might not be alive as i cant contact them. I just hoped they would follow the paper trail that names my father on my birth certificate, then shows that he died and my grandfathers Will names my father as his son !

                And it took four months but I got two pages about which divisions he fought in and where he fought.

                Good luck,

                Danielle Augustyn

                (Australia)

              • Barbara Scrivens
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Hi Sheila, Stefan, Mark and Danielle,

                  Thanks for your input. I think my folly was to ask for records via �General
                  Enquiries� and all I�ve received back is the fact they have records of both
                  my grandfathers but I now have to get written permission from both eldest
                  living relatives, which is a mission.

                  Ms Kroll did say �for those who do not read Polish, we can also write an
                  official narrative statement taken from information in the documents, which
                  are mostly in Polish�, so Sheila, maybe they�ll help with the translating?

                  Barbara Scrivens

                  Auckland

                  New Zealand

                  Researching Nie�cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka

                  Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lw�w

                  Has any grandchild of a Polish soldier been able to access records from the
                  Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence in the UK?

                  And if so (okay, two questions), what information did you have to provide?

                  Many thanks - Barbara

                  Barbara Scrivens

                  Auckland

                  New Zealand

                  Researching Nie�cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka

                  Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lw�w

                  ------------------------------------

                  Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
                  http://www.kresy-siberia.org

                  Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:Kresy-Siberia-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

                  To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:
                  <mailto:Kresy-Siberia-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Yahoo!
                  Groups Links

                  http://www.eset.com

                  18:07:00

                • Gabriel Damaszk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
                    Dear Barbara,

                    I received information about my Grandfather from the British MoD few years ago. I had to provide them with a proof of kinship and my Grandfather's death certificate.

                    I hope it helps.

                    Gabriel Damaszk, Durham, UK

                    Has any grandchild of a Polish soldier been able to access records from the
                    Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence in the UK?

                    And if so (okay, two questions), what information did you have to provide?

                    Many thanks - Barbara

                    Barbara Scrivens

                    Auckland

                    New Zealand

                    Researching Nie¶cior/Szumska & Surowiec/Sochatka

                    Wielobiecz to Niweck & Bratkowice to Zaleszczyki, Lwów

                    ------------------------------------

                    Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy-siberia.org

                    Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)