Re: Searching for family from Brody & garbled characters UNICODE

  • frncsgts
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 4, 2009
      Zbigniew

      When I read my messages and Jaceks' they are not in the least garbled. Mine is set at unicode.

      Yours however are garbled, so it must be something at your end.
      Can't imagine what it is.
      As far as diacritic marks are concerned I usually have my keyboard set properly, but sometimes when the computer updates occur I have to reset the language tools again. Tonight however I didn't reset because I was so excited to receive Jacek's news that I just wrote the message.
      Cheers
      Frances

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Zbigniew Bob Styrna" <styrna@...> wrote:

      > Jacek, Frances and others,
      >

      > I hope you all don’t mind but I’ve got to comment once again, and make corrections on this issue of Polish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic> diacritics (Polish letter with accents) and UNICODE(UFT-8)
      >

      > I am trying to resolve our garbled characters that a posted on our Kresy site. So please don’t be offended as I am not picking on anyone but trying to solve a long standing mystery. Up to now, it has been complicated to say the least.
      >

      > The last piece of the mistery, the great UNICODE Puzzle, the garbled Polish cahrecters, etc.. has to do with people that use YAHOO emails accounts.
      >

      > It turns out that one of the problems, and I’m hoping the last one, lies with Yahoo eamil accounts.
      >

      > So anyone and everyone that has a Yahoo email account and is posting messages on Kresy-Siberia sites, please, please, set up your Yahoo account to UNICODE , especaily if you are originating a Post that includes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic> diacritics Polish letters, or are replying to a Posting that has these <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic> diacritics characters.
      >

      > SOLUTION:
      >

      > 1) We’ve already talked about how t oset up UNICODE and Polish characteres inside PC’s Micorsoft’s Windows XP or otherwise.
      >
      > 2) Also, we talked about making sure our Inetrnet Browsers like Firefox, Internet Expore or Netscape are set up for UNICODE under menue “View” and “Encoding”.
      >

      > 3) Now it turns out , one also has to set up YAHOO email for UNICODE !!!!!!!! So people with Yahoo email accounts please do the following:
      >

      > When you ‘re in your Yahoo email, got the to the yahoo main menu to, and you should see TABs like Delete, then Reply, Forward, Spam, Move, Print, and then “ MORE ACTIONS “
      >

      > Select More Actions, then wait while Yahoo tells you to “Wait..”, after a new menu pops down. At the bottom, the 7’th option, point to “ Set Encodings”, and encodings options pop down. Please click on UNICODE (UFT-8).
      >

      > CAVIAT: But if you have an older computer and you have selected to use Yahoo’s old, primeval , ancient, “ Mail Classic”, you will not be able to make this selection.
      >

      > Even if you do this, you have to set and reset, and set this Encoding UNIOCE in Yahoo for each and every email you send or reply to . Seems Yahoo email is not to swift and defaults to some other Encoding which is “un-friendly” to our Polish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic> diacritics characters.
      >

      > The real solution is “ don’t use Yahoo email accounts ”.
      >

      > Even free Hotmail email accounts work perfectly in this regard.
      >

      > Pozdrawiam Serdecznie
      > Zbigniew
      > Vancouver, BC Canada
      > Kresy: Osowica, Ryków, Trosćianiec Mały, Różowola, Biały Kamień, Skwarzawa, Złoczów, Stadnia, Dmytrów

    • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 9, 2009
        Jerry,

        Greetings from North of the Border, BC.

        This UNICODE is a pesky thing. Like I mentioned before, one has to have all the Ducks lined, ( Windows, Outlook if one uses it as the eMail Client, Browser settings, Yahoo Account ) up perfectly for it to work properly. For multiple languages like English and Polish, one needs keyboards/Input Method Editors (IMEs) installed on your PC. Any recipients of multilingual documents must also have the same languages installed on their computers to read or edit the documents.

        So does everyone have Polish installed on their PC’s ?

        Even then, if a message gets posted in UNICODE, and someone replies to it in non-UNICODE (say Western) then the thread gets multiple Encodings text inside the message , so whoever reads it after, may not automatically get the correct encodings for it. It is a continuous maintenance issue by everyone on the Kresy site to get this resolved for everyone’s benefit.

        Like all Microsoft’s Software, usually after installing Software, or making a change, one has to RESET, reboot, or power off and power on one’s PC to make it work. A few times, I have had t power off and on couple of times for a new feature to take effect.

        I don’t know because I did not write the enormously complex Yahoo server Software packages , but if one is making a change to one’s Yahoo account, I would suspect, that one needs to Log OFF Yahoo, then Log into it again for Yahoo Account changes to take effect. It would not hurt to LOG OFF Yahoo, and LOG ON a couple of times before attempting to use UNICODE.

        From: Zbigniew Bob Styrna <styrna@shaw. <mailto:styrna%40shaw.ca> ca>
        To: Kresy-Siberia@ <mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:52 PM

        What do you mean exactly by “ I do not get it “ ?

        From: JERRY NONE <thepolishdude@ <mailto:thepolishdu de%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
        To: Kresy-Siberia@ <mailto:Kresy- Siberia%40yahoog roups.com> yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 2:10 PM

        http://ladysheltie. <http://ladysheltie. slide.com/> slide.com/

        From: JERRY NONE <thepolishdude@ <mailto:thepolishdu de%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
        To: Kresy-Siberia@ <mailto:Kresy- Siberia%40yahoog roups.com> yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 1:55 PM

        test message

        Date: 07/03/09 05:53:00

        Date: 07/03/09 18:11:00

        07/07/09 05:53:00

        ------------ --------- --------- ------

        Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org> siberia.org

        ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
        ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
        Discussion site?http://groups. <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Kresy- Siberia/> yahoo.com/group/ Kresy-Siberia/
        Virtual Memorial Wall http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ memorial/> siberia.org/ memorial/
        Gallery (photos, documents) http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ photo.html> siberia.org/ photo.html
        Booklist http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ books.html> siberia.org/ books.html
        Film?http://www.AForgott <http://www.AForgott enOdyssey. com> enOdyssey.com
        To CONTACT the Group Moderators please send an e-mail to:
        Kresy-Siberia- <mailto:Kresy- Siberia-owner% 40yahoogroups. com> owner@yahoogroups. com

        Kresy-Siberia- <mailto:Kresy- Siberia-subscrib e%40yahoogroups. com> subscribe@yahoogrou ps.com

        To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to: