RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: OFF TOPIC: Polak used without malice

  • RICHARD KASPRZAK
    Message 1 of 95 , Jun 1, 2009
      As we all are proud of being POLAKAMI.

                                                                            Rysiek

      --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Barbara Charuba <charubab@...> wrote:

      From: Barbara Charuba <charubab@...>
      Subject: RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: OFF TOPIC: Polak used without malice
      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 11:50 AM

      First of all, Archie, as you say, was portrayed as a bigot, and the
      pejorative nature of the term "Polak" as he used it was connected to his
      bigotry. The obje3ct of the show was to parody Archie's bigotry and make fun
      of it. In this way it actually countered bigotry because the most powerful
      weapon against it is to make fun of it.

      The derogatory nature of the word "Polak" goes back to the times before the
      turn of the 20th Century when most of the Polish immigrants to the U.S. and
      Canada came from rural areas and had rudimentary education at best. On top
      of this, they did not speak in English, with some of them never learning
      proper English. Like many other immigrant ethnic groups, they became the
      target of denigration by people who did not understand them and found them
      strange, and the word the Poles identified themselves with (Polak) became a
      derogatory term.

      As far as I am concerned it is the shallow and ignorant people who use this
      term in as an insult who have the problem. Personally, I am very proud of
      being a "Polka".

      Basia Charuba

      Barrie ON Canada

      Message 95 of 95 , Jun 17, 2009
        Thanks! Look forward to hearing the rest if she can remember.

        Monica

        On 17 Jun 2009, at 09:12, Barbara Milligan wrote:

        > Monica,
        >
        > I was taught that rhyme too. I am trying to remember the rest, but
        > the next Q & A is:
        >
        > Kim ty jestes?
        > Polak maly.
        > Jaki znak twoj?