Help with Times review of the Katyn movie

  • Jan Niechwiadowicz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20 3:21 AM
      The Times has been a major source of issues for the Polish Media Issues group. The following was raised as an alert yesterday on that group.

      http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6113432.ece

      "Leading Polish director Andrzej Wajda lost his father in the German massacre of Polish officers and soldiers in Katyn forest in 1940. His film is a powerful re-creation of the event."

      Members from the PMI have written to the Times and the Federation of Poles in Great Britain has been informed. Any support from this group would be appreciated in getting the Times to change German to Soviet massacre.

      Suggested e-mails

      Customer services
      custserv@...

      Editor in Chief
      online.editor@...

      Letters
      letters@...

      Arts
      arts@...

      Regards

      Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff
    • Richard Lucas
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20 4:58 AM
        Jan

        there is a group on Facebook called "The Times newspaper needs to
        take a history lesson"
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26246316171 with 2373 members.

        My brother Edward wrote about Giles Coren here:
        http://www.economist.com/daily/columns/europeview/displayStory.cfm?story_id=11918619

        How any serious media organisation can justify keeping Giles Coren on
        the staff is completely beyond me.

        If anyone on this list has the time and energy to organise a consumer
        boycott then it is worth writing to advertisers
        either in "the Times" itself, or more widely any of the media stable
        of its parent company http://www.newscorp.com/
        making the point that you won't spend any of your money on any
        company remotely connected with Giles Coren. By advertising with News Corp
        they are putting you off. Make sure you mention that Facebook group,
        as marketing people are all a bit scared of these social networks these days.

        I don't believe it will really work but it is nice to be able to do
        something back at the lies.

        I've lived in Poland for more than 18 years, have no Polish ancestors
        or bias. There are things to praise and criticise about Poland just
        like anywhere else. Coren is so completely wrong on Polish Jewish
        realities it is astonishing.

        pozdrawiam

        Richard Lucas

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20 11:30 AM
          Dear All,

          Article now reads

          "Leading Polish director Andrzej Wajda lost his father in the Soviet massacre of Polish officers and soldiers in Katyn forest in 1940. His film is a powerful re-creation of the event."

          Regards

          Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff
        • Krystyna Mew
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20 12:12 PM
            That's brilliant!!

            ________________________________
            "Leading Polish director Andrzej Wajda lost his father in the Soviet massacre of Polish officers and soldiers in Katyn forest in 1940. His film is a powerful re-creation of the event."

            Regards

            Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff

          • John Halucha
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20 12:50 PM
              Richard, your brother is a brilliant writer who wrapped up the problem nicely. Thank you for providing the link.
              I also enjoyed many of the articulate and informed comments defending and expanding Edward's piece, available through the link at the bottom of what he wrote:
              http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=11918619&mode=comment&sort=asc&#commentStartPosition
              John Halucha
              Sault Ste Marie, Canada

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20 11:22 PM
                Hi John

                Thanks for your kind words about Edward. You can see all his writing
                (mainly for The Economist, but also for a number of other newspapers, here
                http://edwardlucas.blogspot.com/ )

                Edward Lucas's best selling book "The New Cold War" is just out in
                paperback and has been published in Bulgarian, Dutch, Estonian,
                German, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, and Polish so far
                and important to our Kresy Siberia community.

                He is a prominent critic of the those in charge in the Kremlin. and
                highlights the danger of Putin-ism to all those who have the
                interests of an balanced view of history at heart. The work of Kresy
                Siberia is vital in this context as a basic knowledge of our
                community's story completely undermines the horrible idea that
                somehow the USSR was "worth it"

                Richard
                BTW I hope that no one reading this feels it is wrong to somewhat
                push my brother in this context. I do believe his writing is relevant
                to our community.. (as well as being his admiring younger brother)