Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: Clearing Station of Polish 2nd Corps

  • Gianluca Vernole
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 12:35 AM
      Dear Mr. Ostrowski,
      the hospital of Ancona was the No 7, No 2 was in Iraq and No 3 was Palagiano, a town near Taranto in Puglia, Italy.
      No 9 was in France, all these stories can be worn in the book "W silach zbrojnych na Polskich zachodzie 1939-1945.
      With consideration.

      Gianluca Vernole

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 2:58 AM
        Mark,
        The book I mentioned is called 'Bo Wolnosc Krzyzami sie Mierzy' by Franciszek Koprowski and it is an austere edition in 1975 published in Krakow by Wydwnictwo Literackie Manifestu Lopcowego 19.

        There lots of names referred to and I can scan those pages for you if you wish.
        It is an account of this man's life from the Slask to Przemusl, Czyszki, Wegry, Lebanon,Palestyne, Egipt North Africa and Italy . Eventually to UK.
        It is a great historical account of various Medical units. All in Polish.
        antoni530

      • mark_oyun
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 6:41 AM
          Dear Antonii

          I looked on the web to see if I could find a copy to buy... nope.

          Soooo... anything you could scan and post or email me would be VERY gratefully recieved.

          My areas of interest are:

          Franciszek Ostrowski
          Izba przyjêæ
          5 Sanitarny Oœrodek Ewakuacyjny (which later became...5 Szpital Polowy)

          All of the above in Italy and UK... in fact anything you care to scan from the book and send will be read with great interest. Whatever you feel you can spare the time for.

          With much appreciation in advance, best reagards, Mark

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Antoni Kazimierski" <ASKAZIMIERSKI@...> wrote:

          > Mark,
          > The book I mentioned is called 'Bo Wolnosc Krzyzami sie Mierzy' by Franciszek Koprowski and it is an austere edition in 1975 published in Krakow by Wydwnictwo Literackie Manifestu Lopcowego 19.
          >
          > There lots of names referred to and I can scan those pages for you if you wish.
          > It is an account of this man's life from the Slask to Przemusl, Czyszki, Wegry, Lebanon,Palestyne, Egipt North Africa and Italy . Eventually to UK.
          > It is a great historical account of various Medical units. All in Polish.
          > antoni530

        • mark_oyun
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3 2:46 AM
            Dear Gianluca

            I have no doubt what you say is true. However, the situation is more complex than that. It really depends on which source you read, but there is confusion created by most historians' only passing interest in the subject, the overuse of the word "szpital" [Hospital] in Polish and a lack of imagination in the military mind when it came to giving names and numbers to units.

            You write "No 3 was Palagiano, a town near Taranto in Puglia". Very probably. There was also one in in Senigallia, 25 miles north of Ancona. 5 Polish Military Hospital was in Casamassina. 5 Polish Field Hospital [my Granddad's] was in Loreto. I'm guessing the ones near the front were "Field Hospitals" and the ones further south were "Military Hospitals". If you look at photographs from hospitals of the period the main difference, apart from the number od beds, seems to be the number of female nurses. Military hospitals had many more women working there.

            As to your emailed question – I'm afraid I have no information about staff in Cassamassina. Sorry to disappoint.

            Best regards, Mark