Re: "No Place to Call Home" now available for pre-order

  • Andy Golebiowski
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
      Alex,

      The following caught my eye in the description of your book:

      "Of the unknown hundreds of thousands sent to the Siberian gulags,
      only 583 Polish prisoners would return."

      Obvioiusly, many more got out of the gulags, are you referring to a
      special group here ?

      Thanks,
      Andy Golebiowski
      Buffalo, NY
      USA
    • alex everist
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
        I agree the description is misleading. These were the ones that left Kolyma and were counted in Iraq. My father was responsible for the lists. Here are the exact words from the book.

        "Later, in Iraq, officials counted the survivors of the land of gold.  583 would leave Kolyma alive out of an estimated 10,000 Polish prisoners. Considering that only 5% survived, the deaths of other prisoners, primarily Russian, must have been enormous.[i]  These victims were never accounted for, not even by their own government."

        [i] Anne Appelbaum, Gulag: A History (Doubleday, 1993), pp.321.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
          My late father, Jozef F Gniewosz, at seventeen years of age found himself in
          Kozielsk prisoner of war camp, and later was in Griazowiec. It was my
          understanding he was also in a third camp, though I don't know the name of
          that camp. Jozef Czapski wrote how my father had saved his life in his book
          "In The Inhuman Land". "Following the so-called "amnesty" of July 1941,
          Gniewosz left the Soviet Union via Persia and sailed around India and the
          African continent, reporting to the Allied forces in England. Along the way
          he taught English lessons. The voyage wa enlivened by mined waterways and
          pursuit by German submarines."
          Griazowiec was a primary source of victims for the Katyn Forest massacure. I
          have in my memory there were 364 who survived Giazowiec (those?) camp(s). It
          is interesting to now hear a (another) specific number mentioned.
          Chris Gniewosz
          Portland Oregon
          For those interested, I am getting a very positive reaction to my book
          "Noble Flight - A Family's Exodus and Survival During World War II".
          Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Pietro Sambi wrote "These two books (Noble
          Youth and Noble Flight), so filled with memorable anecdotes and vivid
          recollections of a faith-filled family, not only noble by birth, but also in
          spirit, draw the reader into a never-to-be-forgotten era so rich in meaning
          for all of history..."

          On 3/2/09, alex everist <allie1417@...> wrote:

          > I agree the description is misleading. These were the ones that left
          > Kolyma and were counted in Iraq. My father was responsible for the lists.
          > Here are the exact words from the book.
          >
          > "Later, in Iraq, officials counted the survivors of the land of gold. 583
          > would leave Kolyma alive out of an estimated 10,000 Polish prisoners.
          > Considering that only 5% survived, the deaths of other prisoners, primarily
          > Russian, must have been enormous.[i] These victims were never accounted
          > for, not even by their own government."
          >
          > [i] Anne Appelbaum, Gulag: A History (Doubleday, 1993), pp.321.
          >

          > --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Andy Golebiowski <andywbuffalo@...<andywbuffalo%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Andy Golebiowski <andywbuffalo@... <andywbuffalo%40yahoo.com>>
          > Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: "No Place to Call Home" now available for
          > pre-order
          > To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com <Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 8:02 AM
          >
          > Alex,
          >
          > The following caught my eye in the description of your book:
          >
          > "Of the unknown hundreds of thousands sent to the Siberian gulags,
          > only 583 Polish prisoners would return."
          >
          > Obvioiusly, many more got out of the gulags, are you referring to a
          > special group here ?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Andy Golebiowski
          > Buffalo, NY
          > USA

        • alex everist
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
            With the number of prisoners released and no real Russian documentation, I am sure there are a variety of numbers available. My father was also in a number of different camps. Pryisk Pioneer and 10th OLP, as well as the transit camp in Buchta Nahodka. He was never sure of the actual location since the trucks dropped him at theend of the road and they walsked the rest.

            On 3/2/09, alex everist <allie1417@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > I agree the description is misleading. These were the ones that left
            > Kolyma and were counted in Iraq. My father was responsible for the lists.
            > Here are the exact words from the book.
            >
            > "Later, in Iraq, officials counted the survivors of the land of gold. 583
            > would leave Kolyma alive out of an estimated 10,000 Polish prisoners.
            > Considering that only 5% survived, the deaths of other prisoners, primarily
            > Russian, must have been enormous.[i] These victims were never accounted
            > for, not even by their own government."
            >
            > [i] Anne Appelbaum, Gulag: A History (Doubleday, 1993), pp.321.
            >

            > --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Andy Golebiowski <andywbuffalo@ yahoo.com<andywbuffalo% 40yahoo.com> >
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Andy Golebiowski <andywbuffalo@ yahoo.com <andywbuffalo% 40yahoo.com> >
            > Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: "No Place to Call Home" now available for
            > pre-order
            > To: Kresy-Siberia@ yahoogroups. com <Kresy-Siberia% 40yahoogroups. com>
            > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 8:02 AM
            >
            > Alex,
            >
            > The following caught my eye in the description of your book:
            >
            > "Of the unknown hundreds of thousands sent to the Siberian gulags,
            > only 583 Polish prisoners would return."
            >
            > Obvioiusly, many more got out of the gulags, are you referring to a
            > special group here ?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Andy Golebiowski
            > Buffalo, NY
            > USA

          • l willis
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
              Hello Alexandra,
              Congratulations on getting published!  I think there are a few of us out there who may soon be following suit.  So, to add to the questions about self-publishing, I notice the fees charged by JimSam amount to $950 up front plus various percentages as times goes on.  May one ask how you have found working with JimSam and whether you have encountered any "hidden" costs or fees?  I ask because the current feeling among literary agents and publishers is that they won't touch a self-published book; on the other hand, Alex Topolski was fortunate enough to write "Without Vodka" and it WAS picked up by an agent and a publisher.  I don't know how often that happens and I (and others at this forum) would be interested in your own experiences.  So many people have stories to tell so that future generations won't forget.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Linda

              ________________________________
              From: Stefan Wisniowski <stefan.wisniowski@ kresy-siberia. org>
              To: "Kresy-Siberia" <Kresy-Siberia@ yahoogroups. com>
              Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 9:05 AM

              Looks great ­ how do we order a copy?
              No shopping basket on the site.

              Stefan Wisniowski
              Sydney

              From: Alexandra <allie1417@yahoo. com>
              Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:07:19 -0000
              To: Kresy-Siberia <Kresy-Siberia@ yahoogroups. com>

              For all my contacts who have requested information on my upcoming
              book, "No Place to Call Home", it is now available for a 25% pre-
              order discount at http://www.jimsamin c.com/jimsam/ index.html

              Scroll to the bottom of the page.

              Original Price $19.99
              Sale Price $14.96

              No Place to Call Home relates the experiences of a 19-year-old Polish
              man who is captured by the Soviets at the beginning of World War II
              and sent to a Siberian concentration camp in Kolyma. It is a story
              that is largely forgotten in most history books today. Each prison
              and gulag Stanley is sent is "no place to call home". In order to
              survive the un-survivable, the prisoners must work in collaboration
              with each other. Of the unknown hundreds of thousands sent to the
              Siberian gulags, only 583 Polish prisoners would return, one of them
              being Stanley Kowalski. This is his story.

              Alexandra Everist
              Author of "A Katrina Moment" and "No Place to Call Home"
              www.alexandraeveris t.com

            • alex everist
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
                Hello Linda:
                My first book "A Katrina Moment" was not self-published, and I had a number of offers from publishers for "No Place to Call Home". The major problem was that many of them wished to change too much that was vital to the story (i.e. references to God, slavery, etc.).  I finally decided it was more important to get the story out in my father's lifetime than it was to have the "honor" of being selected by a publisher. In addition, I found that a publisher can selectively increase the price which places a book out of the reach of many individuals. "A Katrina Moment" is now up to $24.95 on Amazon & Barnes & Noble. It started at $19.95 which I believed was too expensive even then.

                I believe if you have a story worth telling do whatever it takes. The majority of authors do not make money off of sales. Usually published authors get 8-10% of each sale. So if you are not in it for the money or the glory, it doesn't matter who publishes the story. Just get it out there. If enough stories are out there, people will learn what our families went through and history will have to acknowledge it..
                Alexandra Everist
                Author of "A Katrina Moment"
                and "No Place to Call Home"
                www.alexandraeverist.com

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
                  Hello Alexandra,
                  MANY thanks for the insightful information.  Hopefully it will encourage not only myself but others to take the first big step and, as you say, Get the story out there!  Sincerely, Linda

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
                    Yes we all have to write write write these stories. Published or not we are the voices

                    of our lost families. Congratulations to anyone who takes the next step to get these

                    stories 'out there'.

                    Danielle Augustyn

                    (Australia)

                  • l willis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10, 2009
                      Hi Alex,
                      Thank you for all the information you imparted earlier in the year.  I have been back and forth with a publisher since February and I have about decided to make up my own mind and go the self-publishing route.  I am having similar experiences to your own wrangling with what one publisher likes as opposed to what another doesn't like!

                      I contacted JimSam and spoke to Marcia Freespirit today.  She sounded professional and knowledgeable.  $950 is the upfront price and she mentioned that copies of a book usually run about $3.50 minimum to publish when the orders begin rolling in.  She also stated that her outfit usually suggests an author run off 200 books initially to serve as an inventory and to not sell for lower than $12.95.  When I processed this information and re-read your comments below about Amazon et al. jacking up the price per book without letting anyone know, I have had to sit back and rethink all this.  Marcia also mentioned that as from January 2010 JimSam will be charging an annual fee to keep books listed on their website. She is in the process of finalising author guidlines this summer.

                      In the meantime, I contacted a local print-on-demand publisher who does the printing, ISBN, copyright, etc. but not the proof-reading or editing for about 1/3 the cost of JimSam's quote.  The print-on-demand people charge approximately $8-9 per 100 pages for copies of the book and they allow the author to print off as many copies as he/she wants for an inventory, though they recommend no more than a dozen copies at first. This outfit will list on their own website as well as with Amazon, et al if the author requests it and will not take a cut of the sale money.  However, they warned me that Amazon et al will take up to 55% of the retail price - and you mentioned Amazon jacking up the price of your book without even telling you.  So, in doing the math, I realized that a book selling for $14.95, for instance, would only bring in to the author less than half that money and for each printing of the book, it would cost somewhere around $12-14.  That makes it an out-of-pocket expense every time a book is published and sold.

                      I am wondering, therefore, how your book, No Place To Call Home, has been faring.  Have people been contacting you through your website or through JimSam rather than Amazon?  Can you offer to sell your own book for less than what Amazon is charging?  This is all an eye-opener and a little bewildering to me.  The print-on-demand people mentioned they could do the same as JimSam and offer me a link from my own website (when I get one set up) to their website for orders, and they don't charge for this service.  I am wondering if you have any thoughtful pointers or suggestions about any of the above.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

                      Sincerely,  Linda