Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: translation from English to Polish

  • Barbara Milligan
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
      I thought a szal was a stole and a szalik a scarf and a chustka a kerchief/handkerchief/hanky. Basia (UK)
      From: Stephanie Reeve <ssreeve@...>
      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 8:48 AM

      Thank you for all of your input!

      Maybe this will help as further context:

      The scarf would have been given to this little boy by his older sister
      before sailing from America to Poland.

      I envision the scarf as a long scarf, possibly silk, that he would wear tied
      around his neck wherever he went for good luck.

      Because of this, the mostly Polish crew on the ship started calling him 'the
      boy with the red scarf'.

      The scarf would eventually become faded, worn and tattered.

      But, I do need a short enough version that it would conceivably be given
      used as a nickname.

      If someone could also give a simple explanation of how to pronounce the
      polish translation, that would be great!

      But, if that's too much, just the words would be fine. . .

      Thank you!

      Stephanie Reeve

      Yarmouthport, MA

    • Thyme Trax
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
        Stephanie here is a link for your Czerwony/Red Jedwabny/Silk  Szal/Scarf
        http://tinyurl.com/azzs64

        pozdrawiam Krysia

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
          Basiu lets see now;

          Szalik/Unisex
          http://tinyurl.com/bmn7c9
          Szal/Unisex
          http://tinyurl.com/bckszr
          Meski/Male Szal
          http://tinyurl.com/d2k6te
          Damski/Female Szal
          http://tinyurl.com/bckszr
          Stole/Stula;
          http://tinyurl.com/cq6vpg

          In Polish  gender specific
          Pozdrawiam Krysia

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
            How abut „RUDZIK” Polish for robin (redbreast) (I believe)

            pozdrowienia
            Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
            Sweden
            Memorial Gallery Administrator
            <http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html> http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html

            _____

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
              they are all ten except stula which is ta. stula was only used for the ksiedza stula. perhaps usage varies with region?
              Basia

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                Hi Basiu that covers it all then :-)
                Depends on how old is your boy ?
                As he might object to a szaliczek but might wear a szalik :-)

              • stefan.wisniowski@kresy-siberia.org
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                  I would have called him "szaliczek" sort of like "scarfie" or little scarf.

                  SHA-LEE-CHEK with an emphasis on the EE.

                  I guess there is no right or wrong answer, just what sounds good to you.

                  Stefan Wisniowski
                  Sydney
                  Sent from my BlackBerry� from Optus

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                    To all members...
                    What kind of conection " szalik" have with Kresy Siberia ?
                    I do not even open my e-mail......sorry i might be wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Tadeusz

                    Maybe this will help as further context:

                    The scarf would have been given to this little boy by his older sister
                    before sailing from America to Poland.

                    I envision the scarf as a long scarf, possibly silk, that he would wear tied
                    around his neck wherever he went for good luck.

                    Because of this, the mostly Polish crew on the ship started calling him
                    'the
                    boy with the red scarf'.

                    The scarf would eventually become faded, worn and tattered.

                    But, I do need a short enough version that it would conceivably be given
                    used as a nickname.

                    If someone could also give a simple explanation of how to pronounce the
                    polish translation, that would be great!

                    But, if that's too much, just the words would be fine. . .

                    Thank you!

                    Stephanie Reeve

                    Yarmouthport, MA

                    ------------------------------------

                    Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
                    http://www.kresy-siberia.org

                  • RICHARD KASPRZAK
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                      pretty good, stefan.

[...]

                      Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                    • Elizabeth Olsson
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                        Stefan’s not just a pretty face!!

[...]

                        http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy-siberia.org> siberia.org

                      • RICHARD KASPRZAK
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                          Just a translation question.  But I sure can think of uses for a "szalik" in Siberia.

                                                                                 Rysiek

                          ------------ --------- --------- ------

                          Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation:
                          http://www.kresy- siberia.org

                          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
                          "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the Polish
                          citizens
                          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
                          Discussion site http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Kresy- Siberia/
                          Virtual Memorial Wall http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ memorial/
                          Gallery (photos, documents) http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ photo.html
                          Booklist http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ books.html
                          Film http://www.AForgott enOdyssey. com
                          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
                          To CONTACT the Group Moderators please send an e-mail to:
                          Kresy-Siberia- owner@yahoogroup s.com

                          Kresy-Siberia- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

                          To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *Yahoo!
                          Groups Links

                        • RICHARD KASPRZAK
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 6, 2009
                            I dont get it

[...]

                            Discussion site http://groups. <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Kresy- Siberia/> yahoo.com/group/ Kresy-Siberia/
                            Virtual Memorial Wall http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ memorial/> siberia.org/ memorial/
                            Gallery (photos, documents) http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ photo.html> siberia.org/ photo.html
                            Booklist http://www.kresy- <http://www.kresy- siberia.org/ books.html> siberia.org/ books.html
                            Film http://www.AForgott <http://www.AForgott enOdyssey. com> enOdyssey.com
                            ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
                            To CONTACT the Group Moderators please send an e-mail to:
                            Kresy-Siberia- <mailto:Kresy- Siberia-owner% 40yahoogroups. com> owner@yahoogroups. com

                            Kresy-Siberia- <mailto:Kresy- Siberia-subscrib e%40yahoogroups. com> subscribe@yahoogrou ps.com

                            To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

                            ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *Yahoo!
                            Groups Links

                          • krys_k01
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 7, 2009
                              I know that this subject is coming to an end but have another
                              suggestion: how about 'czerwony szaliczek'? This would have a link to
                              'czerwony kapturek' ie Little Red Riding Hood, which might be rather neat.

                              Czerwony would be TCHER-VO-NIE, or something similar.

                              Krysia
                              Stockport, UK

                              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, stefan.wisniowski@... wrote:

                              > I would have called him "szaliczek" sort of like "scarfie" or little
                              scarf.

                              > SHA-LEE-CHEK with an emphasis on the EE.
                              >

                              > I guess there is no right or wrong answer, just what sounds good to you.
                              >
                              > Stefan Wisniowski
                              > Sydney
                              > Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus

                            • Stephanie Reeve
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 9, 2009
                                Thank you again for all of your input!

                                I realize it was a little off-topic, but I appreciate the help with
                                translation.

                                I think I have plenty to work with now and will surely be able to give him

                                an interesting nick-name!

                                Best,

                                Stephanie Szwarce Reeve

                                Yarmouthport, MA