Re: Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Siberia Medal

  • Barbara Palframan Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hello Stefan,

      Just checking - did you get the email I sent to Peer about the Virtual Museum - cc'd it to you? Have you met up with him yet?
      Regards
      Barbara

      Barbara Palframan Smith
      BPS Communications
      Mob: +973 3655 6742
      www.bpscommunications.com.au
    • stefan.wisniowski@kresy-siberia.org
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi we have exchanged messages but will need to wait til I'm back in SYD end Feb!

        Stef
        Sent from my BlackBerry� from Optus

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
          Dear Stefan,

          I beg to differ from what you said below (that the Siberian medal is only
          given to the living). According to the law that brought the medal into
          being, (See Art. 2, #3 below) the cross is given to those who were living on
          the day that the law came into effect. In this case, 17 October 2003. We
          also have a number of newspaper reports in our files that show the spouse or
          child of a survivor receiving the award in their name, because they have
          passed away after the law came into effect.

          Krystyna Szypowska
          Ontario, Canada
          USTAWA

          z dnia 17 pazdziernika 2003 r.

          o ustanowieniu Krzyza Zeslanców Sybiru

          Art. 2.

          3. Krzyz jest nadawany osobom zyjacym w dniu wejscia ustawy w zycie.

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
            Thank you, I am pleased to be corrected!

            Stefan WISNIOWSKI
            Sydney

            From: Geffroy <geffroy@...>

            Does my late father qualify to receive a Siberia Medal? He was
            deported to Vorkhuta, where he spent 17 months, but he passed away
            in April, 2003. Are medals only awarded to the survivors themselves,
            or can they be given to descendants of suvivors as recognition of the
            suffering of their late family member/members?

            Karen
            Cape Town

            ------------------------------------

            Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy-siberia.org

            Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

            ****************************************************************************Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Elizabeth Olsson
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
              The Polish government instituted the Siberian Cross in 2004 to officially recognise the enforced deportations 1939-1956 of Polish citizens to Northern Russia, Siberia and Kazakstan.

              Awarded to survivors still living on 1 January 2004.

              All the info and application forms are in our files on Yahoo

              Files > Siberia Deportees Cross (Krzyz Zeslancow Sybiru)

              pozdrowienia
              Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
              Sweden
              Memorial Gallery Administrator
              http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                Hi, I have a related question that is somewhat off-topic: the Russian
                government in 1994 offered a commemorative medal, "50 years since
                victory in the great patriotic war of 1941-1945", for individuals
                involved in service in the Soviet Army or labour in the rear of the
                front. My father wrote letters to the authorities for six years but
                failed to receive recognition as a Polish conscript in the Red Army.
                Would anyone know if this medal can be sought after a person has died?
                Many thanks, Jenny

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Olsson"

                Siberia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Krystyna

                ******
                > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the Polish
                citizens
                > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World War
                Two."

                > Virtual Memorial Wall http://www.kresy-siberia.org/memorial/
                > Gallery (photos, documents) http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html
                > Booklist http://www.kresy-siberia.org/books.html
                > Film http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
                > Kresy-Siberia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email to:

              • x2003yogi
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2009
                  After giving up hope of ever receiving it, my husband, Kazik, has received a letter from the Polish Consulate in Manchester inviting him to receive his Siberia medal at Manchester town hall on the 25th October! This will be a few days after his 83rd birthday.

                  Ann Drozdowski.
                • Anna Bialkowska
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009

                    My mother Zofia Bialkowska nee Stokarska has also had an invite for Manchester on Oct 25 to receive her Siberia medal.

                    She is very pleased – we(her daughters) will be coming to watch the ceremony.

                    Kind regards

                    Anna

                    Anna Bialkowska

                  • nicola pazdzierska
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Hi

                      While at the WDYTYA exhibition at London's Olympia various people mentioned a Siberia medal. It was mentioned there was a link to the application document somewhere on the museum site or KS yahoo groups. I can't find it. Can anyone help?

                      Thanks

                      Nicola Pazdzierska
                    • Eva
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Hi Nicola,

                        Great meeting you at our WDYTYA exhibition on Saturday and thank you (and others who have written) for your kind words about the event.

                        The forms for the Siberian Cross medal can be found in our Files section on the left hand side of the screen -
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kresy-Siberia/files/Siberia%20Deportees%20Cross%20%28Krzyz%20Zeslancow%20Sybiru%29/

                        Let me know if you have any problems filling out the form.

                        Hope to see you again some time soon.

                        Best regards.
                        Eva Szegidewicz
                        Director, Kresy-Siberia (UK)

                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, nicola pazdzierska <nvpaz1@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > While at the WDYTYA exhibition at London's Olympia various people mentioned a Siberia medal. It was mentioned there was a link to the application document somewhere on the museum site or KS yahoo groups. I can't find it. Can anyone help?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Nicola Pazdzierska

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Thanks Eva.
                          Who is entitled to apply for the medal?

                          Mark T.
                          Canada

                          --- In mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com, nicola pazdzierska wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > While at the WDYTYA exhibition at London's Olympia various people mentioned a Siberia medal. It was mentioned there was a link to the application document somewhere on the museum site or KS yahoo groups. I can't find it. Can anyone help?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Nicola Pazdzierska

                        • szypowska
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                            Any survivor who was alive when the law came into effect in Jan 2004.

                            Kind regards,

                            Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

                            Great meeting you at our WDYTYA exhibition on Saturday and thank you (and others who have written) for your kind words about the event.

                            The forms for the Siberian Cross medal can be found in our Files section on the left hand side of the screen -
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kresy-Siberia/files/Siberia%20Deportees%20Cross%20%28Krzyz%20Zeslancow%20Sybiru%29/

                            Let me know if you have any problems filling out the form.

                            Hope to see you again some time soon.

                            Best regards.
                            Eva Szegidewicz
                            Director, Kresy-Siberia (UK)

                            --- In mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com, nicola pazdzierska wrote:

                            > Hi
                            >
                            > While at the
                            WDYTYA exhibition at London's Olympia various people mentioned a Siberia medal. It was mentioned there was a link to the application document somewhere on the museum site or KS yahoo groups. I can't find it. Can anyone help?

                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Nicola
                            Pazdzierska

                          • skwisniowski
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                              Under Polish law, the medals can be awarded to people after their death.  So as well as Survivors who are still alive themselves, their families can also apply for a post-humous Siberian Cross award as long as the Survivor was alive on 1 Jan 2004.

                              Also, you need a Polonia organisation like a "Zwiazek Sybirakow" (Siberian Association), SPK (Polish Ex-Combatants Association), or even Kresy-Siberia itself to confirm and sponsor the application, which is usually then presented to the local Polish Consulate.

                              If you are not in contact with a local deportees or veterans association, please let us know and we will assist.

                              Sydney Australia

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                                Thanks KS,
                                Let me check to see if my Aunt Marta has done this.
                                She would be the only one alive in 2004.

                                Mark T.
                                Canada

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 4 12:38 PM
                                  Hi Eve,

                                  Has anyone received the medal posthumously if the person concerned died before 1 Jan 2004. My father died in 1983 but I have all his war records and details from the APC at RAF Northolt.

                                  Kind Regards

                                  Tony Wysocki
                                  Cornwall, England

                                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Eva" <eszegidewicz@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Nicola,
                                  >
                                  > Great meeting you at our WDYTYA exhibition on Saturday and thank you (and others who have written) for your kind words about the event.
                                  >
                                  > The forms for the Siberian Cross medal can be found in our Files section on the left hand side of the screen -
                                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kresy-Siberia/files/Siberia%20Deportees%20Cross%20%28Krzyz%20Zeslancow%20Sybiru%29/
                                  >
                                  > Let me know if you have any problems filling out the form.
                                  >
                                  > Hope to see you again some time soon.
                                  >
                                  > Best regards.
                                  > Eva Szegidewicz
                                  > Director, Kresy-Siberia (UK)
                                  >

                                  > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, nicola pazdzierska <nvpaz1@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi
                                  > >
                                  > > While at the WDYTYA exhibition at London's Olympia various people mentioned a Siberia medal. It was mentioned there was a link to the application document somewhere on the museum site or KS yahoo groups. I can't find it. Can anyone help?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > >
                                  > > Nicola Pazdzierska

                                • skwisniowski
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 4 4:10 PM
                                  The medal is NOT awarded to ANYONE who died prior to 1 January 2004. Only to people who were still alive on that day.

                                  Stefan Wisniowski
                                  Sydney Australia