Boleslaw AUGUSTYN

  • danielle meyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      Boleslaw AUGUSTYN was my fathers stepfather. He died in 1994 in America. But what happened to him between 1940 or so and when he arrived in America I have no idea. My fathers story (Jerzy AUGUSTYN) is starting to unfold slowly through contact with fabulous people on this site who knew him and have come forth with some dates and places. I can only assume his stepfather went to Siberia also?

      When my father was in India at Valivade (19445) he was considered an "orphan". Yet i got a letter in 1994 when my fathers stepfather died. They shared the same last name. Did anyone try to re unite orphans with parents ( or stepparents) when they were in these orphanages after the Labour Camps in Siberia?

      I cant imagine how he could be an orphan for so many years if his step father did not die?

      Is there a list of soldiers that marched in Ander's army?

      Did anyone in USA know my father's stepfather?

      Any thoughts?

      Best NEW YEARS wishes to everyone and I can't explain how amazing it is to share these questions with other people who understand how it feels to have, what seems like - no history.

      Danielle Meyer-Augustyn

      ps. I am tracing my father's stepfather as my true grandfathers identity is even more obscure. I have no idea who he was.
    • Barbara Charuba
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        There were many children in the Polish Children's camp that operated in
        Jamnagar Balachadi in India until 1945 who were actually half-orphans. Often
        their surviving parent was a father fighting in the armed forces and was
        unable to care for his child. These children were also listed as orphans.

        Barbara Charuba

        Barrie ON Canada

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          The New York Public Library has inter alia images of groups of Polish orphans in Janmagar, India in its Digital Gallery (google New York Public Library Digital Gallery) I put Polish/Poland in their search engine and accessed multifarious images of the events of WW2 as experienced by deported Poles.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
            Hi Danielle,

            Just a few tips;

            If you get your fathers Army Records from MOD/UK, that will give you your
            dad's place of birth/parents names/religon/DOB etc. It will also give you
            the details of which Army unit's he was in. From that, you can write to his
            village church, or wherever those records are kept, to finf out about your
            family. Church records will usually list who married who, the first time/2nd
            time etc.If the church records are no longer around, there's always the
            'main' church records, probably in Warsaw or somewhere in a city. You don't
            say which area you are talking about?.

            When you have the details of his Army service, then you can write to
            Sikorski in UK, for more info on that too - but it takes time for replies.
            Sikorski's address on our main website, under 'resorces'

            Linder

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
              hi, devoted folks on this site ! I wanted to share that yesterday after chasing many threads of information i made a phone call to Melbourne and spoke to a man who was with my father, his sister and mother in Siberia. I found out more about my father( Jerzy AUGUSTYN) than I have ever known. I found out more than my mother ever knew. It is only the beginning, just a hour on the phone but I was speachless as i listened to the story of extreme seemingly endless hardship and the truth of my grandmothers death at Sammarkand. She survived the time in Siberia with her children- only to take her own life on Xmas eve, because her spirit was so broken and she was exhausted.
              I guess I want to say to anyone who reads this that you really do need to tell your children the truth about horrific life experiences. Of course- you have to know what age they are ready to hear these things. But there is something unspeakably tragic about losing the stories of your parents !Now they are both dead ( my Polish father and my Swiss mother) I thought there was no way of retrieving what is my history ( and my sons)
              I guess i just want to extend my sympathy to other people who are looking for the lost truths about relatives and to say that I am so overwhelmed to have finally discovered much through the time one person took to share history with me that I was never told. My mother romantisised much and all it served to do was to confuse me. And to confuse people on this site who have, with such care, chased threads of information that were incorrect ( but all i had).

              The human spirit is strong and I am very proud of my past.

              heres hoping for a great year ahead : )
            • Lucyna Artymiuk
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
                Danielle

                Who did you speak with in Melbourne

                I am in Melbourne

                Lucyna

                _____

[...]

                Time for change? Find your ideal job with SEEK.
                http://a.ninemsn.
                <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2
                F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahottag%3Achange&_t=757263783&_r=SEE
                K_tagline&_m=EXT>
                com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%
                3Atl%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahottag%3Achange&_t=757263783&_r=SEEK_tagline&_m=EXT

                1:10 PM