Re: [Kresy-Siberia] FW: *Russians send tourists to gulag*

  • b.davoust
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
      Stefan
      No more bizarre than a Soviet theme park that is being built in Lithuania.
      Maybe Putin wants to keep the Gulags up to date in case he has further use
      for them.

      Barbara Davoust
    • amkar@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
        My American born Lithuanian fiance, Vytautas Karmazinas, and I just read
        your post and wondered if you could tell us more about the Soviet theme
        park being built in Lithuania. We are very curious.

        Vyto's grandparents, aunts and uncles were also victims of Stalin's
        deportations to Siberia during WWII. His mother escaped to Germany with
        her husband where according to her they were treated quite well, unlike
        the Poles and Jews.

        Vyto greatly supports my interest in the K-S group and sympathizes with
        all of us who have these common family histories.

        Barbara Soja Revoet
      • b.davoust
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
          There was an article in Newsweek a while ago -- perhaps in 2001. I was in
          Lithuania this summer and saw no references to it, and there was nothing
          mentioned about it in the Lonely Planet guide book we used, but that dated
          from 2000.
          The Newsweek article was one of those slightly sarcastic ones, making fun of
          the guy. But if I remember correctly, it was some guy who went around
          getting statues of Stalin, Lenin and other heroes that were being discarded
          and knocked off their pedestals and was setting them up in a large park,
          along with other souvenirs of the Soviet period.
          Sorry I can't be more specific. Perhaps Newsweek has archives, but it was
          just a short item.

          Barbara